Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 03:02 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. And especially after ID is shown.

I really feel this is happening on purpose.

Here in LA today a black man was shot to death, on Friday a black man in Pasadena died after being tasered twice.

Than a few days ago down in the San Diego area, another incident.

Than the ones across the country. I really wonder if this isn't being done to create civil unrest.
Are you implying there is a conspiracy by various cops across CA and/or the nation to pick random people, kill them, all in the hopes of some larger plot?
If so, what do you base this one, and to what end would this accomplish?

Old 10-02-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's ironic that some of you excuse what this cop did, saying you fully understand why he reacted as he did, but you just can't understand why some black people complain about the way they're viewed and treated.

Every single black male I know has been stopped and questioned numerous times. Some have PhD's or are attorneys or doctors and make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. They get stopped in a store or while driving, and according to them, their hearts are beating so loudly or they're sweating so much, that they're afraid they look guilty. They haven't done anything wrong, they just want to get home in one piece.

But it wouldn't matter whether they make six figures or are unemployed and on welfare. They're all treated the same and what they have in common is they're black.

Add to that all the blatant shootings of black people that were clearly for no reason, and you might find it reasonable for this guy to call a friend and ask him to come back up his story.

He was polite and respectful, answering the same questions more than once, referring to the officer as 'Sir', and you want to excuse the cop for the way he treated him.

You complain about the violation of your rights but have no empathy when it comes to things like this.

If you were treated the same way, you'd be screaming bloody murder.
I don't know where you live, nor the black people you know but my experience is different. The black people I would call my friends, and even casual acquaintances have never complained to me about bad encounters with police. Then again, many are professionals who would likely act differently than the guy in this video.
Granted his behavior was not over the top nor rude. Still he was non compliant in several instances, and despite this, the cops were cordial to him as well. It all went sideways when the guy called his friend asking for him to come over. Had he continued to sit on the porch and wait for the cops to clear him, most likely none of the escalation would have occurred.

You and others want to assume this was a race thing, with no evidence of that suspicion. Rest assured many whites are stopped and questioned across this country every single day. If the cops are black do you assume it is racial?
If not, why not?
If the cops are white and the suspect is white, what do you attribute that to?

Old 10-02-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Absolutely astounding that RWNJs are still defending the cop in this case. The same types defending the cops here are the same types screaming 20 years ago that the government was wrong for intruding on Waco or screaming support for the rancher who was anti government and fed his cattle on government property a little while back. Now in this case we have government intrusion in the form of a cop on someones private property harassing a perfectly good law abiding citizen, yet now all of the sudden the Waco whackos are all shut up and agree with the government because in this case, the private citizen happens to have a little bit of extra melotonin. Hypocrites. Wonder when CD will finally cull the population of storm front reps on these boards that we alllllllllll know are active.
Wow, make sweeping generalizations much?
You conflate seeing the perspective of LE with the nuts who thought Waco was a government conspiracy together?
How would you like it if someone else thought liberals who where "COEXIST" shirts are the same nuts who think 9/11 was an inside job done by the Jews to cause a war against Islam?

On top of that, you call for censorship of people just because they do not see things in the same way you do?
You need to look up a guy named Voltaire and read one of his books. You might find it enlightening.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That cop was searching for someone to arrest to raise money for the state so he could keep his job.

When law enforcement has an agenda it doesn't matter.

As a side note, people need to quit showing their "papers" just because police asked. Don't answer their questions.
He would have really got his ass beat, then.

That male cop was so far over the line. His ego was ridiculous. He knew the guy was telling the truth. He acknowledged it when he said " yeah, people don't try to break into homes and then just sit on the porch"

Did you catch the part in the linked article where this jackwagon was actually PROMOTED during the investigation? It wasn't until the second investigation that anything was done to him.

The female cop is an ass too. She should have calmed her partner down at the scene, not covered up for his escalation and violation of that man's civil rights after the fact.

And I can't believe what this guy ( the victim ) did time for. Marijuana, speeding, and a fight? Sounds like frat boy stuff to me.

I think your anti-statist rants can be a bit much, but you do have your points. Our for-profit prison system must go, and cops who do these things should get fired and banned from working in LE ever again.

Did you know that the Feds ( I know you don't like them, but... ) maintain a database of people that are forbidden from ever working in medicine again? They need one of these for LEOs.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't know where you live, nor the black people you know but my experience is different. The black people I would call my friends, and even casual acquaintances have never complained to me about bad encounters with police. Then again, many are professionals who would likely act differently than the guy in this video.
Granted his behavior was not over the top nor rude. Still he was non compliant in several instances, and despite this, the cops were cordial to him as well. It all went sideways when the guy called his friend asking for him to come over. Had he continued to sit on the porch and wait for the cops to clear him, most likely none of the escalation would have occurred.

You and others want to assume this was a race thing, with no evidence of that suspicion. Rest assured many whites are stopped and questioned across this country every single day. If the cops are black do you assume it is racial?
If not, why not?
Two points.

1. I seriously doubt you have any black friends. Maybe black people you know, but not friends that would talk about such things with you if they had experienced them. And these things do vary by police department. There are cultures within departments, just like within communities, and companies.

2. It doesn't matter what color the cop is. Or even the victim. What matters is the ongoing abuse of authority, and subsequent coverups.

The BLM folks, who I personally cannot stand because they approach things all wrong, have their points. Every cop should have a body cam. Because this stuff happens. Not just to black people, but to us white people as well. Ask that dead rancher's family in Idaho, or the guy who had his six year old shot. The cop in that second case had been threatening the victim's father for some time.

It's typical of you authoritarian types to stick up for egregious behavior like this. And to deny that racism or sexism still exists.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner
Why isn't the former officer being given criminal charges?
I am quite surprised they fired him!! (Usually a blind eye is turned)

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
You must not have watched or listened to the video too closely to have missed it. In the 4:30 range you can see obvious tats on his arm, and at the 5:15 mark the cops says he has prison tats, and the guy admits to being a former con.
So what?

My son-in-law is a corrections officer, with all the power of a police officer. In fact, if he sees a crime taking place even when he's not working, he has the authority to intervene and make an arrest. Actually, he is required to do so.

He works in a state prison that houses, not traffic offenders or small-time pot dealers, but murderers, rapists, sex offenders. His attitude is 'these people committed crimes and are now paying for those crimes; they have already been judged by others, so I don't judge them'. The person sitting on the porch committed crimes and paid for them also.

This 'cop' in the video doesn't even have that common sense. He was looking for a fight; he WANTED to fight. There is no other reason for what happened. The guy showed ID with his name and the address of the house where he was sitting.

That should have been end of story.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,414 times
PTSD..omg giving that thug cop to much credit. He shouldn't be a cop anymore if he can't handle what he sees.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
race is irrelevent, this stuff can and does happen to anyone.
don't try telling that to anyone who's not white...

Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What an absurd question. Do you even think before you post? Reread my simple, straight forward post which YOU quoted. The answer is in it
Not absurd at all. You're saying people should refuse to hand over documents and not answer questions when stopped by the police. Others have said you must always cooperate. Which is it? That's all I'm asking.

Quote:
Come on now, you think good police work is getting a call of a suspicious person potentially trying to get into a home with a shovel, and just leaving after the person in question gives him a name and says he belongs there?
Many a criminal will lie to the police. If they took the word of everyone who gave them a song & dance, few arrests would ever be made. Heck watch the show Cops to see how often people lie about who they are, what they are up to, etc., etc.

As to why prison tats would make a cop more suspicious, are you being intentionally obtuse?
No, I want the poster to answer that question.

We're always reading that cops are trained to discern b.s. from the truth and they use that to justify whatever they do. If that's true, then the first cop was well trained, saw he was relaxed and said she was going to run something after asking his mothers name. Someone with nefarious intentions is unlikely to be that relaxed and just sit down on a chair on the porch.

Quote:
I cannot speak for the poster you were responding to, but logically if blacks commit more crime on a per capita basis, it stands to reason they will have more of a percentage of interactions with police. Whites will have a higher number as that poster pointed out because there are a lot more white people, even though they commit less crime on a per capita basis. The stats for injury/death of blacks at the hands of police are still a very small percentage, and certainly not anywhere near the rate of black on black crime. If you don't believe it, just look it up for yourself.
I'm familiar with the numbers since I've provided them myself. Reading a blog by a Chicago cop indicates there's more to the story. They're told to produce numbers. That's targeting. In addition, the stories I've heard from black people I know support that they're targeted.

Quote:

If not, why not?
I live in a suburb where my property taxes are $13K a year. Most of my friends (Caucasian, Asian and African American) live in an adjacent town where they pay more than $30K a year in property taxes. Why do you ask? How is this relevant? I work in Chicago. It's rather diverse, in the event you haven't been. I asked not only my friends, but people I work and network with. And I asked recently, prompted by things I read in this forum.

The black people I know have never complained to me either. I finally asked. And boy, was I in for a rude awakening.

How do professionals act differently than the guy in the video? Do they not use the term 'Sir' when addressing the cop? Are they disrespectful? Do they refuse to answer the same question more than once?

I was locked out of my house once and went around checking the windows, trying to find one that was unlocked. Just as I'm doing this, a cop comes around the corner to ask what I'm doing. I told him, he asked for my name, and he left. I'm sure he ran something to find out the name of the property owner and let it go, just as the female cop was going to do. The second cop just wasn't willing to accept what he was being told. Nobody knows for certain if it was about race, but this happens at a higher rate with black people than it does with white people.

It's a small percentage of black people committing the crimes. They're repeat offenders - particularly in Chicago where they get mild sentencing because the prisons are overcrowded, and because most of the time they're not caught in the first place.

Why aren't you looking at those numbers? If a small percentage of black people are criminals, why do most of the males complain about being stopped numerous times, when they haven't even done anything wrong?

Just because this isn't a problem for you and I, doesn't mean there is no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies