Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 01:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
So you think people between 25-40 act stereotypically.
No, I think most of the companies business comes from 25-40 year olds.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, I think most of the companies business comes from 25-40 year olds.

...which is a stereotype. Want to know another? Police picking on black people for no reason.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
...which is a stereotype. Want to know another? Police picking on black people for no reason.
I suppose when you don't understand what a stereotype is there is no where to go.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:50 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
My comment you bolded;

In my view both could have handled the situation better to avoid the physical arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Bolded excuse above. Cop supporters harp this all the time. But the question is, which one has been trained to de-escalate these encounters? Why should taxpayers continue to spend $millions on training that changes nothing with these bullies and turds?
While police are trained to take control of situation, you re correct that most departments train to de-escalate when it does not undermine their ability to control the situation.
That said, my comment should not spark derision since it points out how both could have handled the situation better.
Unless, you feel the suspect acted 100% perfect, and did nothing wrong?

I have made a couple questionable choices when dealing with LE over the years (i.e. refusing to lay face down on the street while in a business suit during a traffic stop), but in this instance we all can see where the suspect made a couple of poor choices. I certainly wouldn't have attempted to leave a 2nd time, and would not have called a friend to come to the scene. I doubt most people, regardless of their color would do that, and have never actually even heard of that before.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
My comment you bolded;

In my view both could have handled the situation better to avoid the physical arrest.

While police are trained to take control of situation, you re correct that most departments train to de-escalate when it does not undermine their ability to control the situation.
That said, my comment should not spark derision since it points out how both could have handled the situation better.
Unless, you feel the suspect acted 100% perfect, and did nothing wrong?

I have made a couple questionable choices when dealing with LE over the years (i.e. refusing to lay face down on the street while in a business suit during a traffic stop), but in this instance we all can see where the suspect made a couple of poor choices. I certainly wouldn't have attempted to leave a 2nd time, and would not have called a friend to come to the scene. I doubt most people, regardless of their color would do that, and have never actually even heard of that before.
I would have demanded that they get off my porch.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:14 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
BLM will soon begin one of their violent riots and only make the situation worse. If you don't want situations like this to happen then you can't give rioters a free pass either.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I suppose when you don't understand what a stereotype is there is no where to go.

Let it snow
Let it snow
Let it snow

I already told you what it essentially was. I even corrected my sloppy editing for ya:

The only time not to use "stereotypes" is when you have specific information. However that means investing more time and research. If its not my priority, then I go with the odds.

A stereotype is "common knowledge" . Cops sitting around in donut shops is "common knowledge". Since I don't really care, I can simply accept that its true to some extent. Why ? The Fire department is usually at the fire station. Police go on patrol The police simply have a job that tends to give opportunity. So there is likely some truth to it. That does not mean it is true. Stereotype or "common knowledge" can be true or untrue, or simply right or wrong in magnitude. There is nothing weak minded about it. Some heavily researched stereotypes turned out to be true. Its still a stereotype.

Want to know another stereotype? White serial killers. Its actually wrong. Turns out blacks are overrepresented as serial killers. However since its only almost double the rate, unlike the 20-50 times crime rate in other crime categories, white certainly do much more poorly here than say violent rapes.

When dealing with something important , stereotypes can be harmful. There are some subjects that need to be verified. We also have a civilian society and even though its true some races are more prone to certain crimes, we deal with issues at the civilian and individual level. However when the stake are low and research may be lacking, I have no reason not to go with the odds.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I would have demanded that they get off my porch.
Best thing to do is ask if you are under arrest. If they say no, remain mute.

That's it. If they ask again , you may inform them you intend to remain mute. If you are arrested then you should speak in the presence of legal advice. If you are indeed wrongly arrested then you, are on firm ground to sue for false arrest.

Everything else is just bad advice.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:01 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
When the guy got on the phone and starting speaking ghetto, it set the cop off. It looks like the cop has PTSD from all time he spent policing the hood.

I think you are on the money......there is definitely something wrong with that cop - whether its PTSD or he was just born a jackass. He escalated the whole situation on his own.

The brother was much more calm than I would have been if I was in the same situation.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:29 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Exactly!!
I have said this. We need to be careful about who were recruit into the police force. If an officer cannot handle someone's dialect, why are they an officer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies