Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 05:31 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't speak for all states, but at least in California, if you are sentenced for a felony victim restitution is imposed and they will follow you to your grave to recover the money
Good. Now if we could apply this to those who use government goons to rob their neighbors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Part of the reason that recidivism is high is because most inmates are released from prison with nothing, not even a photo ID. They are given a bus ticket to wherever they got arrested, broke and jobless. It's a perfect setup for failure. Background checks even for temp agency laborer jobs mean that many of these people will never be employed, personally I'm surprised that more of them don't return to crime.
Thanks for all of your posts, 2sleepy, on this very informative thread. I had no idea that there are still strong views that all criminals are monsters and should be treated accordingly, regardless of the offense.

I didn't see a link to this organization in any of your posts, so I'll mention it here. DELANCEY STREET began in 1971 with 4 residents and a $1,000 loan. The organization is completely self-funded, mostly through the labor of the residents. There are many success stories and many failures, and every reader can decide if the program is worthwhile or not.

I did read a very negative post from a former resident - he stayed 4 years - in which he blames DS because he immediately returned to drug and alcohol use upon his re-entry to society. Still SMH about that one.

Anyway, here are some links, and there is a lot of info out there if you have time to read it, or even care to read it. Discussing prisons, prisoners, and rehabilitation is not a popular topic, I know.

Delancey Street Foundation - About Us - Our Facilities - Los Angeles

http://https://greatnonprofits.org/o...ndation/page:2

Delancey Street Foundation - About Us - Our Enterprises - Moving & Trucking

Delancey Street Foundation - Home

Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Don't Let Them Out = Solution
WA tried that, 3 strikes you're out for life. Democrat govenor Christine Gregoiore pardoned several of those people, one has now been arrested for killing someone.

3-strikes felon sentenced to life in prison is released early, now cha

It sounds like his victim probably isn't any great loss to society and should probably have been locked up too, but if she hadn't pardoned this lifer he couldn't have committed this crime, or however many other crimes he committed over the last 4 years and wasn't caught for.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Thanks for all of your posts, 2sleepy, on this very informative thread. I had no idea that there are still strong views that all criminals are monsters and should be treated accordingly, regardless of the offense.

I didn't see a link to this organization in any of your posts, so I'll mention it here. DELANCEY STREET began in 1971 with 4 residents and a $1,000 loan. The organization is completely self-funded, mostly through the labor of the residents. There are many success stories and many failures, and every reader can decide if the program is worthwhile or not.

I did read a very negative post from a former resident - he stayed 4 years - in which he blames DS because he immediately returned to drug and alcohol use upon his re-entry to society. Still SMH about that one.

Anyway, here are some links, and there is a lot of info out there if you have time to read it, or even care to read it. Discussing prisons, prisoners, and rehabilitation is not a popular topic, I know.

Delancey Street Foundation - About Us - Our Facilities - Los Angeles

http://https://greatnonprofits.org/o...ndation/page:2

Delancey Street Foundation - About Us - Our Enterprises - Moving & Trucking

Delancey Street Foundation - Home
I'm very familiar with Delancey Street, it's an interesting organization. The focus is on teaching residents job skills and self discipline. The program is a 2 year commitment but some people have been there for 20 years. They don't have the normal kind of group therapy or NA meetings that you usually find in these programs, the focus is on getting up in the morning, getting ready for work learning to be at a certain place at a certain time and learning to recognize the traps of how my might fall back into drug/alcohol addiction or criminal behavior and practicing how to avoid it.

The recidivism rate is around 30%, which is remarkable. I would love to see all non violent inmates sent to a reentry program like Delancey rather than to state prison, I think it's awesome, as far as I know there are no programs like it. And they take NO government money they sustain themselves through private donations and the labor of the residents.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Part of the reason that recidivism is high is because most inmates are released from prison with nothing, not even a photo ID. They are given a bus ticket to wherever they got arrested, broke and jobless. It's a perfect setup for failure. Background checks even for temp agency laborer jobs mean that many of these people will never be employed, personally I'm surprised that more of them don't return to crime.
They even have a hard time renting a home because they cannot pass a background check. This throw away society we live in is awful.

I can’t believe how many heartless people there are on this issue.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They even have a hard time renting a home because they cannot pass a background check. This throw away society we live in is awful. I can’t believe how many heartless people there are on this issue.
You're right, and if you look at ads for rentals on craigslist, in my area at least 80% of them indicate "no felons". And I was appalled to find out that even temp agencies in many areas are doing criminal background checks. Day labor jobs used to be the one place released inmates could find jobs, without that I'm not sure where they will find work.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Criminals made a choice, rolled the dice, and lost. Now the bill must be paid.
I think we all agree with that. The debate is over "the bill". Some of us don't think "the bill" should be a life ending event. Some of us think "the bill" is paid when their jail time has been completed.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think we all agree with that. The debate is over "the bill". Some of us don't think "the bill" should be a life ending event. Some of us think "the bill" is paid when their jail time has been completed.
Exactly after you get out why are permanently marginalized? The sentence is served let them move on.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
You're right, and if you look at ads for rentals on craigslist, in my area at least 80% of them indicate "no felons". And I was appalled to find out that even temp agencies in many areas are doing criminal background checks. Day labor jobs used to be the one place released inmates could find jobs, without that I'm not sure where they will find work.

Every employer should do criminal background checks. Knowledge is power. Know who you are working around.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Every employer should do criminal background checks. Knowledge is power. Know who you are working around.
Except people can and do reform. A criminal record shouldn't be a blanket scarlet letter for life. It should be on a case by case basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies