Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:45 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the Trumpists and other conservative factions make the mistake of targeting marriage options for all and reproductive freedom, they will be hit with a huge backlash from women voters, from all parts of the political spectrum.

There are a lot of women who vote GOP who are very staunchly anti-abortion. For lots of them it's the main reason they are a Republican. Then you have the hispanic vote. 50% of Hispanics are anti-abortion. I have hispanic friends who hate Trump and the GOP who until I mentioned it did not know the democrats were the pro abortion party. If the GOP made a bigger push to get the word out they would get a lot more Hispanic votes.

I am pro-choice but to these people abortion is murder and they are never going to change that opinion.

I have never met a Republican whose main reason for being a Republican was to stop gay rights.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:47 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The ruling was fundamentally flawed and must be overturned. Same with Roe. Both of these issues should be legislated by the states, which is what will happen when they are overturned.
As a gay man, I agree with this. There is certainly no right to gay marriage in our constitution. This MUST be a state by state issue.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What's the difference?

Not every Republican is an evangelical christan. About 45% are and 29% of democrats are. By the way some carry on here you would think all GOP are evangelical Christians and all evangelical Christians are GOP.

Public Opinion on Abortion | Pew Research Center

Old 06-29-2018, 06:50 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,246 times
Homosexuality and gender disorder is a mental illness. Not something to be glorified.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
As a gay man, I agree with this. There is certainly no right to gay marriage in our constitution. This MUST be a state by state issue.
The ruling wasn't based upon a right to gay marriage in the Constitution. There is no right in the Constitution that covers marriage at all.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It really doesn't except that the effort to normalize homosexuality by extending marriage to same-sex unions uses the Orwellian tactics of the Ministry of Truth to change the meaning of a word, "marriage", by removing the previous meaning of the word.

That this has been done by side-stepping the democratic process and the previously expressed will of the people makes the effort even less acceptable to those of us that still believe that the will of the people reins supreme.

It's not the what.

It's the how and why.
Words change meaning all the time. I learned that with the word " thong ".

Society changes and grows, so do definitions.

Extending marriage to same sex couples shouldn't be put up to the will of the people. Human rights are not something that should be up to the majority. Otherwise...you might find yourself without rights, if not by sexuality, but by sex, or ethnicity.

It's not really about the how and why with you though, is it? You just don't like the idea of gay people having equal rights.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with civil unions or the sorts of legal arrangements for shared benefits that you mention. So when Obergfell is overturned, you can reasonably expect that these issues to be dealt with in a reasonably agreeable manner.
If no one had a problem with civil unions why were they banned for same sex couples in the majority of the states prior to Obergefell?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
1.) Rights aren't granted by the Constitution. They already exist.

2.) The right to enter into a contract is a natural right that may not be infringed upon by ANY government, be it federal, state, or local. Government has NO business regulating marriage.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:05 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Dark times are coming in this country for those who aren't white, straight, male, and fundamentalist Christian.
Waa! Not My Base! Waa!

I'll stop caring about gay marriage and Abortions when I start hearing less of Impeach Fodifav, Racist, white male cis-gendereds and awe dee pour cheeldrin!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:21 PM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are a lot of women who vote GOP who are very staunchly anti-abortion. For lots of them it's the main reason they are a Republican. Then you have the hispanic vote. 50% of Hispanics are anti-abortion. I have hispanic friends who hate Trump and the GOP who until I mentioned it did not know the democrats were the pro abortion party. If the GOP made a bigger push to get the word out they would get a lot more Hispanic votes.

I am pro-choice but to these people abortion is murder and they are never going to change that opinion.

I have never met a Republican whose main reason for being a Republican was to stop gay rights.
This is true about the Hispanic's stance against abortion. I have a good friend who is a Cuban American and gay, but it's his belief that abortion is murder that keeps him voting Republican all of the time.

With that said, I'm not a Republican, but have been voting for them since 2012 just because of the Democrats anti-gun rhetoric. But, I too believe in pro-choice, but I just don't think they should be using tax payer money to fund someone else's poor decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies