Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/t...ortion-rights/

Tony Perkins is an incredibly influential character on the religious right. He speaks at many conservative events and is a heavy opponent of LGBTQ rights in all areas (not just marriage) and proponent of conversion therapy. His "Family Research Council" is an offshot of James Dobson's "Focus on the Family."

While I agree that not everyone who voted for Trump is anti-gay, most GOP politicians won't think twice about pandering to their virulently homophobic base.

Dark times are coming in this country for those who aren't white, straight, male, and fundamentalist Christian.
Government has no role in dictating how we should live, in this case, no authority to issue marriage license.

I am not sure why that is difficult to understand.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
[url]
While I agree that not everyone who voted for Trump is anti-gay, most GOP politicians won't think twice about pandering to their virulently homophobic base.

Dark times are coming in this country for those who aren't white, straight, male, and fundamentalist Christian.
Being anti gay marriage is not the same thing as being anti-gay or homophobic, and it certainly isn't the realm of only fundamentalist Christians.

Your going to unnecessarily work yourself into a tizzy, and likely do more harm than good, if you hang the acceptance of gays in society on gay marriage.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Baptists continuously try to impose their version of "Sharia law" on the rest of us. Always sticking their noses in everything and mucking it up.
On Tuesday Oklahoma voters refused to make Baptists happy by NOT voting to legalize medical marijuana in Oklahoma. If abolishing same sex marriage come up for a vote they may not listen to Baptists again. Same thing for a vote to abolish all abortion after Roe v. Wade is overturned, if it is. On Tuesday, the Republican candidate for Oklahoma governor who wanted to abolish all abortion rights came in only a distant 4th place.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Government has no role in dictating how we should live, in this case, no authority to issue marriage license.

I am not sure why that is difficult to understand.
You better believe it's difficult to understand. If it was easy to understand, we wouldn't be running to government for a license to get married in the first place.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:34 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
most GOP politicians won't think twice about pandering to their virulently homophobic base.

Demonstrably false. You're completely out of touch if you think the GOP's base is "virulently homophobic". I don't judge the entire Democratic party based on the online rantings of a few lunatics or the posturing of a handful of unhinged blowhard politicians (Insanity, thy name is Maxine Waters). I afford Republicans the same courtesy.

I simply don't understand how folks find joy in feeding hate by propagating outrageous falsehoods.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:37 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Being anti gay marriage is not the same thing as being anti-gay or homophobic, and it certainly isn't the realm of only fundamentalist Christians.

Your going to unnecessarily work yourself into a tizzy, and likely do more harm than good, if you hang the acceptance of gays in society on gay marriage.
Good post. Exactly right.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:40 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Neither Roe nor Obergefell will be overturned, and most people including most Republicans do not wish to see such results. The Republican Party, like the Democrat Party is composed of a diverse group of ideologies. The fundamentalist faction is a small part of the GOP and President Trump in reality doesn't care about either of these issues.
Unfortunately Trump has said he will place jurists that will overturn it , so it could happen given the makeup of SCOTUS

Old 06-29-2018, 01:06 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with civil unions or the sorts of legal arrangements for shared benefits that you mention. So when Obergfell is overturned, you can reasonably expect that these issues to be dealt with in a reasonably agreeable manner.
Wrong.

RZ can't reasonably expect that.

Some trusts can ONLY be entered into, and all of the benefits/features enjoyed by the trust creators and the beneficiaries, if the creators are married.

I'm straight, and I'm not married, but I don't understand why you or anyone else should care what kind of marriage other adults wants to have. It's none of anyone's business except the parties to the marriage.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The ruling was fundamentally flawed and must be overturned. Same with Roe. Both of these issues should be legislated by the states, which is what will happen when they are overturned.
Fine make gay marriage illegal in red states. They will not attract tech companies. More for us.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Being anti gay marriage is not the same thing as being anti-gay or homophobic,
People with your attitude on this don't think it is, but it is.

Quote:
and it certainly isn't the realm of only fundamentalist Christians.
Why would/should anyone else care?

Quote:
He works himself into a tizzy just by living in Oklahoma .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies