Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 01:50 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
There are always going to be people on the bottom, period.
Yes, there are. Why do you think they're entitled to a better lifestyle than they have earned for themselves? The middle class has a middle class lifestyle. Do you also think they're entitled to a better lifestyle than they've earned for themselves? If so, why? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most people struggle when they're young adults. That's no big deal. That DOESN'T entitle them to take from others because they are "uncomfortable" with having to struggle. STOP making lame excuses.

Sure, most do. No one is claiming they are entitled to anything because they are "uncomfortable" though. They are saying that paying people what they are actually worth, instead of "market value", is what we should do. As it stands today, managers are greatly overpaid in a lot of places, and regular workers underpaid. For example, at my first job, my manager was paid almost $100k a year. The only difference between him, and myself, was he told people what project they were part of (which we often helped with), and did payroll. You honestly think that is actually worth an extra $70k a year? Not saying his job isn't worth his pay, but ours was certainly worth more based off of what we did for the company, which is why I left. That company was a multi-national company, made billions every quarter, and paid it's marketing folks next to nothing. You can probably figure out who I'm talking about if you really think about it... They were worth quite a bit more, but they don't care, because they were making money hand over fist.

A LOT of companies are like this.

Quote:
Employees are paid exactly what their labor/skills are worth. Deal with it.
That is exactly wrong. They are paid as little as possible, so the people up top can rake more money into their bank account. They pay exactly enough to get employees, and not a penny more. If you think otherwise, you are very naïve.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are. Why do you think they're entitled to a better lifestyle than they have earned for themselves? The middle class has a middle class lifestyle. Do you also think they're entitled to a better lifestyle than they've earned for themselves? If so, why? If not, why not?
I am not saying people are "entitled" to a better lifestyle. I am saying there are millions of people in this country who are greatly underpaid and overworked. Paying people enough so that they can eat and afford rent is not giving them a "better lifestyle".

Man, you people kill me. You are willing to do anything to keep poor people down. They go and get some grants to go back to school, and you would complain about the government paying for them to go to school. They take out loans, they are irresponsible. Don't do either, and they are lazy and entitled. They can't win with you guys.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sure, most do. No one is claiming they are entitled to anything because they are "uncomfortable" though. They are saying that paying people what they are actually worth, instead of "market value", is what we should do.
Market value IS what their labor/skills are worth. How do you not understand that?

Quote:
That company was a multi-national company, made billions every quarter, and paid it's marketing folks next to nothing. You can probably figure out who I'm talking about if you really think about it... They were worth quite a bit more, but they don't care, because they were making money hand over fist.

A LOT of companies are like this.
I'm going to explain, AGAIN, exactly WHO owns the corporations and exactly WHO is benefiting from corporate profits and gains in stock share values. PLEASE try to comprehend exactly how this all works...

American workers/retirees have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions/retirement accounts. They're shareholders... the owners. That's where a significant amount of corporate profits/share price gains go: to payout pension checks, retirement benefits, and retirement account draws for literally tens of millions of retirees and future retirees.

What American Workers'/Retirees' $27 Trillion Worth of Pension/Retirement Account Investments Looks Like

"At the end of 2014, U.S. household retirement assets totaled a whopping $27 trillion (according to the latest edition of the Federal Reserve's Flow of Funds Report.) Those assets, the great majority of which enjoy some degree of tax advantage, are spread across various sectors of the system: IRAs, pension plans, 401(k) plans and so on."

Having absolutely NO understanding of those facts is exactly why your "beliefs" are so egregiously flawed.

Let's take CalPERS, for example. Guess who's the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett. As a matter of fact, it is not even a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System.

CalPERS' top 10 investment holdings:

Exxon Mobil
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase

Note the cluster of pharma/health care and banking stocks, 5 out of 10. And Wal-Mart is in their top 10, too.

Eliminate/reduce corporate profits, and you eliminate/reduce pension plans and retirement accounts for tens of millions of people, if not more. Corporate profits, dividends, etc., fund the capital gains growth that enables retirees' pension checks and retirement account draws. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I am not saying people are "entitled" to a better lifestyle. I am saying there are millions of people in this country who are greatly underpaid and overworked.
They are paid exactly what their labor/skills are worth. It is their responsibility to make do with their income.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
I am not saying people are "entitled" to a better lifestyle. I am saying there are millions of people in this country who are greatly underpaid and overworked. Paying people enough so that they can eat and afford rent is not giving them a "better lifestyle".

Man, you people kill me. You are willing to do anything to keep poor people down. They go and get some grants to go back to school, and you would complain about the government paying for them to go to school. They take out loans, they are irresponsible. Don't do either, and they are lazy and entitled. They can't win with you guys.
Nobody is underpaid. They are paid exactly what they are worth based on supply and demand. The market IS WHAT YOU ARE WORTH. It is exact and precise and correct. It doesn’t matter what you want, you are worth what you are worth based on how common you are. If you want more, you have to make yourself worth more by being less common and a better value.

We live in a free country, and the amount of money you have is completely your problem.
Nobody is overworked. Anyone can leave their job any time they want. It’s a free country and nobody is forced to work at any particular job for any longer than they desire. If you want to work less hours, find another job or start your own business.

There is no right to an easy life. There is no right to a job. There is no right to housing. There is no right to food. Squirrels and goldfish understand this, but collectivists do not. Very curious.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Market value IS what their labor/skills are worth. How do you not understand that?

No, market value is what the owners/managers/etc deem their labor/skills to be worth, not the ACTUAL worth.

Quote:
I'm going to explain, AGAIN, exactly WHO owns the corporations and exactly WHO is benefiting from corporate profits and gains in stock share values. PLEASE try to comprehend exactly how this all works...

American workers/retirees have $27 trillion worth of investments in their pensions/retirement accounts. They're shareholders... the owners. That's where a significant amount of corporate profits/share price gains go: to payout pension checks, retirement benefits, and retirement account draws for literally tens of millions of retirees and future retirees.

What American Workers'/Retirees' $27 Trillion Worth of Pension/Retirement Account Investments Looks Like

"At the end of 2014, U.S. household retirement assets totaled a whopping $27 trillion (according to the latest edition of the Federal Reserve's Flow of Funds Report.) Those assets, the great majority of which enjoy some degree of tax advantage, are spread across various sectors of the system: IRAs, pension plans, 401(k) plans and so on."

Having absolutely NO understanding of those facts is exactly why your "beliefs" are so egregiously flawed.

Let's take CalPERS, for example. Guess who's the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett. As a matter of fact, it is not even a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System.

CalPERS' top 10 investment holdings:

Exxon Mobil
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase

Note the cluster of pharma/health care and banking stocks, 5 out of 10. And Wal-Mart is in their top 10, too.

Eliminate/reduce corporate profits, and you eliminate/reduce pension plans and retirement accounts for tens of millions of people, if not more. Corporate profits, dividends, etc., fund the capital gains growth that enables retirees' pension checks and retirement account draws. That's just the way it is.

I hear what you are saying, but that doesn't help the tens of millions of people who don't have the advantage of working for a huge corporation with good benefits, who were also likely underpaid by that corporation. I happen to be one of those, and will have a hefty amount of money for retirement if I stay here.

It's funny you have Exxon on your list though, because they were just reported to have made somewhere around $8.5 billion in profits last quarter. If you think that increase (It was only something like $2 billion same quarter last year) is going into employee pockets.... Well....

Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nobody is underpaid. They are paid exactly what they are worth based on supply and demand. The market IS WHAT YOU ARE WORTH. It is exact and precise and correct. It doesn’t matter what you want, you are worth what you are worth based on how common you are. If you want more, you have to make yourself worth more by being less common and a better value.

We live in a free country, and the amount of money you have is completely your problem.
Nobody is overworked. Anyone can leave their job any time they want. It’s a free country and nobody is forced to work at any particular job for any longer than they desire. If you want to work less hours, find another job or start your own business.

There is no right to an easy life. There is no right to a job. There is no right to housing. There is no right to food. Squirrels and goldfish understand this, but collectivists do not. Very curious.
You are 100% correct, on ALL of that. Frankly, I am STUNNED at how many people have absolutely NO CLUE as to the truth of any of this. How on earth do people grow up, become adults, and have literally NO clue as to how pensions, retirement benefits, and retirement account draws are funded? It is unfathomable complete financial illiteracy. I'm at a complete loss as to why SO many people are SO ignorant.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Many are underpaid, relative to cost of living. If you can't see that, then you are far worse than the "collectivists".

But, I get it. You guys don't care about anyone but yourselves, and the elite. Good for you.

I love how you guys say things like, "Nobody is overworked. Anyone can leave their job any time they want. It’s a free country and nobody is forced to work at any particular job for any longer than they desire. If you want to work less hours, find another job or start your own business. "

Like it is that easy... You guys must be silver spoon brats or something, because anyone who has ever had to live in the real world knows better. There is no, "Just get a better job" for most people. That is simply reality. And you guys aren't living in it.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
No, market value is what the owners/managers/etc deem their labor/skills to be worth, not the ACTUAL worth.
Completely incorrect.

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but that doesn't help the tens of millions of people who don't have the advantage of working for a huge corporation with good benefits, who were also likely underpaid by that corporation. I happen to be one of those, and will have a hefty amount of money for retirement if I stay here.
One doesn't have to work for a large corporation to have an IRA, 401K, etc. ALL pensions, retirement accounts, etc., work the same, big or small, corporate or individual. Get a clue.

Quote:
It's funny you have Exxon on your list though, because they were just reported to have made somewhere around $8.5 billion in profits last quarter. If you think that increase (It was only something like $2 billion same quarter last year) is going into employee pockets.... Well....
Those profits go into retirees' pockets. CalPERS retirees' are getting the benefit of those profits. So is anyone else who has Exxon in their retirement account portfolio. PLEASE explain how you still don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies