Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Many are underpaid, relative to cost of living.
That's a completely irrelevant measure. They are paid exactly what their labor/skills are worth, and it's their responsibility to make do with that income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, it really does, and not just in decision making. All it takes is a few bad things to happen, whether through your own fault or not, and things spiral. It isn't just about making a right decision. It is also about getting lucky. Discipline and focus have little to with some people's struggles. My parents, for example, were very hard working people, and would have given us anything we needed, even if it meant them doing without. To say that they should have just not had kids because they weren't rich, or have 2-3 years of savings is asinine. They were great parents.
Incorrect. They should not have had kids until money was saved, income was secure, the house was bought, and they were married and stable. Anything else and they are not great parents. Doing the best you can is not a good parent. Doing the best period is a good parent. Kids are not a right or a possession. Bringing new life into the world is the ultimate responsibility and should only be undertaken with proper planning, focus, and execution. Too many things can go wrong and love is not 1/10th of being enough.

Quote:
There were not well educated or skilled. My dad worked construction and my mom worked in a factory that made police uniforms and stuff similar. Neither would have ever made it through college. No, they are not dumb, but they are just not school people. If they had done what you suggest, myself and my sister would not be here, because they would still be waiting to save enough money to have kids. Their grandkids would not be here, and they would be miserable.
No, wrong again. If they had done what I suggest, they would have brought you into the world with money in the bank, a stable housing situation, a stable job situation where your mom could be home to raise you in person and not have to work, and zero financial stress. Which then means happier kids, happier parents, less struggle, and a better chance of avoiding things like divorce, becoming a drunk, etc.

Quote:
To tell people who desperately want children to just, not have them, is ridiculous as well. Another ridiculous thing, is saying that most women can just find a man, save a bunch of money, and buy a house before talking of having kids. Again, not everyone fits in your neat little boxes. I know you think they do, but they don't.
Wrong again. Everybody DOES have to fit into the neat little box of planning their lives in a rational matter and executing that plan as well as they can. “Desperately wanting children” is bull$hit. You don’t bring new life into the world because you want to. You bring life into the world because you want to, AND after planning it carefully for years and executing the plan with care and maturity. You are really sounding kind of babyish insisting that people should have things simply because they want them. You sound like Veruca in Willy Wonka: “I want it NOW!”
Quote:
No, they really can't. I could never be a mechanic. I am not mechanically inclined. I guess I could be a painter or housecleaner or personal assistant, but those jobs pay crap. Why do you think there are so many immigrants doing the first two, and college students, etc doing the 3rd?
And it's nice you think that, but it isn't reality. There are always going to be people on the bottom, period. To claim they are all just lazy and useless... Well... that shows all we need to know about you Marc.
Reality is what we make it. And no one is on the bottom, unless they make that choice. And even living at the bottom can be done with planning, focus, self-respect, and honor.

You have an absolutely horrible and negative view of Man. Please fix that.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You are really sounding kind of babyish insisting that people should have things simply because they want them. You sound like Veruca in Willy Wonka: “I want it NOW!â€
Well-stated.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:07 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Many people predicted this but of course the Left/Democrats will never learn. Watch them try to blame something else or enact another bound-to-fail law to try to fix their failed law. It will be a never ending vicious cycle with them. Now these workers will have no job at all. Leftist excuses in 3...2...1

The $15 Minimum Wage Is Wreaking Havoc On NYC Dining
First of all, is this a left right issue because Fox Rush or Hannity says it is? How is this a conservative issue?

It's an economic issue. All that it does is cut into the profit margin. Just to see what the prices were in Manhattan, I chose a Steak House on E45 st.. However they don't list their prices so prices must be through the roof. So instead I moved up to the Bronx where the restaurants are not so high brow.

Not finding prices at that place in Manhattan, I chose dinner at a restaurant on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.
Appetizers averaged $13.50
All salads were $ 9.00
All pasta dishes are $19.95
Main courses averaged $27.00
Dolci (deserts) $ 8.50

Wine is sold by the bottle and is no less than $35 for a chianti. Most of the wine is more. Their best champagne is $250 a bottle.

I figured that dinner for two at about 135.50 without tax or tip. The hypothetical couple shared an appetizer, had two salads, did not have pasta, did have two main courses and no desert. They had a fifty dollar bottle of wine.

Figuring that a good server can take care of five couples in an hour, that's income from that one server at about $677.50 an hour. The lunch menu cuts about $2 per course off of the bill.

At a gross of $677.50 an hour per server can you honestly tell me that $15 an hour will break them?

Last edited by Tonyafd; 07-20-2018 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
First of all, is this a left right issue because Fox Rush or Hannity says it is? How is this a conservative issue?

It's an economic issue. All that it does is cut into the profit margin. Just to see what the prices were in Manhattan, I chose a Steak House on E45 st.. However they don't list their prices so prices must be through the roof. So instead I moved up to the Bronx where the restaurants are not so high brow.

Not finding prices at that place in Manhattan, I chose dinner at a restaurant on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.
Appetizers averaged $13.50
All salads were $ 9.00
All pasta dishes are $19.95
Main courses averaged $27.00
Dolci (deserts) $ 8.50

Wine is sold by the bottle and is no less than $35 for a chianti. Most of the wine is more. Their best champagne is $250 a bottle.

I figured that dinner for two at about 135.50 without tax or tip. The hypothetical couple shared an appetizer, had two salads, did not have pasta, did have two main courses and no desert. They had a fifty dollar bottle of wine.

Figuring that a good server can take care of five couples in an hour, that's income from that one server at about $677.50 an hour. The lunch menu cuts about $2 per course off of the bill.

At a gross of $677.50 an hour per server can you honestly tell me that $15 an hour will break them?

I don't give a damn what they are making. You have no right to tell anyone what to pay anyone else. It's private property and a private matter. Price fixing is supposed to be illegal. But it's ok when it's done by the state? Backed up by the police power? Bull$hit already. Can everyone in this damned society stop trying to steal from each other?

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Restaurants, generally, aren't all that profitable. Hence, the low wages.
The low wages are not bc restaurants are unprofitable. Ownership decides that they will pay staff as little as possible and convinces them to expect the difference from tips. If customers can afford to tip 15% -25%, they can afford to pay 15-25% more for food.

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Completely incorrect.

One doesn't have to work for a large corporation to have an IRA, 401K, etc. ALL pensions, retirement accounts, etc., work the same, big or small, corporate or individual. Get a clue.

Those profits go into retirees' pockets. CalPERS retirees' are getting the benefit of those profits. So is anyone else who has Exxon in their retirement account portfolio. PLEASE explain how you still don't understand that.
Bull**** that 6 billion (extra 6 billion from the same quarter the previous year) is going into retiree pockets! You guys are funny.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
That's a completely irrelevant measure. They are paid exactly what their labor/skills are worth, and it's their responsibility to make do with that income.
Oh sure..... cost of living is irrelevant..... If cost of living goes up, wages should too. End of story. As the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and people like you somehow think that is how it should work. Silver spoons man. Silver spoons. I don't believe for one minute you were ever truly poor, or ever truly had to struggle.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The low wages are not bc restaurants are unprofitable. Ownership decides that they will pay staff as little as possible and convinces them to expect the difference from tips. If customers can afford to tip 15% -25%, they can afford to pay 15-25% more for food.
Wrong. I can afford it. I won't pay it. I won't support the People's City of New York and its coercive tyrannical communistic tendencies. There are many others like me. We will vote with our wallets.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Many people predicted this but of course the Left/Democrats will never learn. Watch them try to blame something else or enact another bound-to-fail law to try to fix their failed law. It will be a never ending vicious cycle with them. Now these workers will have no job at all. Leftist excuses in 3...2...1

The $15 Minimum Wage Is Wreaking Havoc On NYC Dining
Fake link,

Story is not true, as a trump supporter would say "fake news".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies