Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
A couple of things go thru my mind here. They steal from the store owner, and he asks the police not to prosecute? Is this because he has fear of retribution? Or does he think the insurance company will reimburse him? Or is it a little of both?

I believe that for the insurance coverage to work for looters, the owner has to show proof he did all he could to prevent looters. Would not calling the police to stop them, once he found out, invalidate his insurance?
From the reports I have read, it was NOT the store OWNER but a MANAGER who asked the police to stand down. Unless all those reports are incorrect.

Yes, I do believe that the insurance would be null and void now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
From the reports I have read, it was NOT the store OWNER but a MANAGER who asked the police to stand down. Unless all those reports are incorrect.

Insurance for the store...or the products (manufacturer)?

Many products in dollar stores are under a 'scan based' contract, meaning the stores do not pay for them until they are purchased, even if they are sitting on shelves in the store, its the vendors/ manufacturers that take the hit, and they have different coverage for products like this.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM

652 posts, read 340,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
And what exactly does that say about an industrial country like the US?

Not much I believe, except that it has built external laws to make the value of labor dependent on the capital control of the distributor.

In such a scenario where the capital good is the qualification by which our country acknowledges wealth. Therefore theft, when the opportunity arises, is seen as reasonable to those who are brought up to think that the only way to gain freedom is to gain capital.
Quote:
Work without capital is useless. And being as value is only placed on goods as they are profitable, the function of such goods are overshadowed by their external worth leading people to value the ascertation over the production of such goods.
Either I’m having a stroke, or this is some of the most incoherent drivel I have seen on this forum(and that is saying a lot!).

Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Family Dollar is privately owned by the Levine family here in Charlotte. They have over 8000 of these stores. They maintain a pretty nice store and are willing to locate in these kinds of places where almost no other retailer will go. I don't know if they are involved, but I get why they wouldn't want to send people to jail over "stuff" if nobody got hurt. Of course, if the looters are shooting at reporters, then absolutely the police need to come in.

It's a shame the "neighborhood" decided to tear that store up. It's probably the nicest place to shop around there.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Either I’m having a stroke, or this is some of the most incoherent drivel I have seen on this forum(and that is saying a lot!).
Perhaps you just don’t understand the basic functions of capitalism.

Most Americans don’t anyways, so there is nothing to feel bad about.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Money is only paper until it is traded for something.
Goods are bought and paid for by the money that hard working entrepreneurs have invested.

If you don't work, you don't eat. If you rob, steal, live off the government, you eat what you are allowed to from your limited stolen stash or what they(government) tells you you can have.
I’m not talking about money, I’m talking about monetary value and where it comes from.

Being as money is the source of control over capital, and the value of capital is claimed by monetary means, the entire function of the economy is based on permanent ownership of capital, rather than the production means to facilitate them.

If we stopped putting focus on the value and distribution of capital, it’s usage would be based on function, not external benefits.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
Looting is a predictable event during a hurricane lol. First cities run out of bottle water and gas, then hundreds of thousands lose power, then people go out to loot stores. I have seen looting during tropical storm winds. They don’t even wait until it is safe to drive.

I have never seen a hurricane without looters. Family Dollar probably figures hurricanes are rare so the losses are not big. They probably lose more money with employee theft.
But thats not the purpose of this thread.

It’s look at those black people looting, they’re lazy, believe their entitled and thus criminals and should be locked up.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
And what exactly does that say about an industrial country like the US?
Someone has to provide the capital necessary for industrial production. Such persons bear a greater risk, and consequently yield a greater result.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
It's incoherent drivel.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This isn't worth reporting except maybe the local channels.

Imo, the owners didn't want the officers to arrest anyone because they feel that, just maybe, some of said officers would be anxious to shoot a kid in the back for stealing a 4 pack of toilet paper.
Whoever left this message by giving me a rep point: "OMG! The officers would be hunted by the packs and crucified by the news media."

And they should be crucified for gunning someone down for stealing some feeaking schit paper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies