Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't know how old you think I am, but I assure you that I was not around in 1790, nor was I making up any terms back in 1790. I was also not around in 1830, nor was I making up any terms in 1830. I'm also not a male.

I am here now, and yet I still have not made up any terms or labels for people. As I said, I call people by what they tell me they want to be called - EXCEPT "people of color" because it's so gd racist and disgusting, I refuse to fall in line.

I don't care that you or anyone else want me to accept that. I will not, deal with it.

I didn't come up with "people of color" OR "black", either. Take your phony outrage and your nonsense somewhere else.

Nobody is talking about you. That is the issue here. Many white men in particular get this false idea that "white people" equals you as an individual. It doesn't. It means somebody white lol.

Both I and Reine have stated that "white people" made up the term "people of color." What we stated is true here in America. White people made it up. So if you have an issue, you should stop addressing black people about it or others and get mad at the early white American men who created racial caste systems in order to prove their superiority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't use Wikipedia for my sources. I use actual historic documents. You can look up the templates for the American census from 1790 through 1830 to see how they were set up. Our American government included people who were German. Germans were counted as "white."

I do a lot of genealogical research and actually have German ancestry. There were entire towns of Germans in the 1700s and especially in the early 1800s and all of them were counted as "white" and not "other" or "free colored."

The writing them a note was a joke that went over your head. But you acting like white American men didn't make up these terms is factually incorrect and you just being silly IMO. All of the racial categories in America were made up based upon whites considering themselves to be superior back in the 1700s and attempting to prove that they were superior to the "colored races." They called everyone "colored." I've also read historical accounts that some Africans called Europeans "spirits" or "ghosts" yet that has never stuck for whites lol. Because whites were the ones who created the categories. And where did Ben Franklin say that Germans were not white? I'd like to read the source. I've read a lot of material written by and about Ben Franklin and don't remember that (not saying it is not true, just would like to read it for myself). I have a lot of Pennsylvania ancestry so have studied a lot about Ben Franklin. He is my favorite founding father.
'Joke' did not go over my head. I just did not find it funny. The sarcasm in my reply went over your head.

'People of color,' which has been the main topic of the thread, has really only been in common use in the last couple decades. What is really silly is to go back to the 18th cent., when racism was virtually universal, to justify 'people of color' as non-racist. 'People of color' divides the world into 'white' and 'all others,' and as such is clearly implicitly racist terminology.

Ben Franklin thought that only Brits and Saxons were white. He categorized the rest of the world as 'swarthy' (Germans, Swedes), Tawney (Asians), and black (Africans).
https://www.dialoginternational.com/...anklin-on.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin
That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased.
No wonder he's your favorite Founder; he loved his ID politics too.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Nobody is talking about you. That is the issue here. Many white men in particular get this false idea that "white people" equals you as an individual. It doesn't. It means somebody white lol.

Both I and Reine have stated that "white people" made up the term "people of color." What we stated is true here in America. White people made it up. So if you have an issue, you should stop addressing black people about it or others and get mad at the early white American men who created racial caste systems in order to prove their superiority.
I wrote a post stating I hated the term "people of color", and the response to that post, as in, the poster quoted my post, said 'It's funny how white people blah blah blah when they are the ones blah blah blah", so, it was most certainly directed at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s interesting to see whites complain about terms that they created and forced on others. It is whites who divided everyone else from themselves. ...
I'm white, but I didn't create jack spit when it comes to labels. So what is this 'that they created'? Or are you going to try to pretend that doesn't mean exactly what it means.

You can roll those eyes right on out of your head for all I care.

You all want me to feel guilty about what happened in the past. Tough cookies. I don't. I never will.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:

hahahaha Many white people think being white means you're an individual? That's just your racism showing through.

"at the early white men" good to see you continue with your racism. As if white people are a monolith

Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
this is yahoo trolling. whenever they post something idiotic like this it's always like two tweets with 4 likes.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 PM

124 posts, read 65,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
To artists, black and white are both the "absence of color".
Actually, black is the absence of color and is therefore not a color, while white is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Technically, there are no people with black or white skin.

Those referred to as black, tend to have brown skin, while those referred to as white, tend to have tanned or flesh colored skin.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
I don't think it's the dictionary's fault. It's whoever started calling people 'blacks' who chose to apply the word in that context. When you are a race that is named after the color black, of course the dictionary is going to make it sound bad, since black is the bleakest darkest color. Why would some people blame the dictionary, when the word was inaccurately assigned to the race?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
Actually, black is the absence of color and is therefore not a color, while white is the blending of all colors and is a color.
Actually that's not technically true. Black is simply what you get when there is no light is reflected, white is when all light is reflected. They are "colours" in the sense that they are unique values given a certain mix of values (depends on what you're measuring). It's not correct to call one a colour and the other not since most all of colour science involves the mixture of primary colours typically with a intensity value which by that definition yields "black" and "white". Even by your definition, they are related since you're measuring wavelength absorption, they are either both colours or they are both not.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
'Joke' did not go over my head. I just did not find it funny. The sarcasm in my reply went over your head.

'People of color,' which has been the main topic of the thread, has really only been in common use in the last couple decades. What is really silly is to go back to the 18th cent., when racism was virtually universal, to justify 'people of color' as non-racist. 'People of color' divides the world into 'white' and 'all others,' and as such is clearly implicitly racist terminology.

Ben Franklin thought that only Brits and Saxons were white. He categorized the rest of the world as 'swarthy' (Germans, Swedes), Tawney (Asians), and black (Africans).
https://www.dialoginternational.com/...anklin-on.html

No wonder he's your favorite Founder; he loved his ID politics too.

Bold is not true. People of color has been used for over 100 years in this country. Again, it was made up by the founding fathers of this nation. Not sure honestly what makes you all so mad about it.

And Ben Franklin is my favorite founding father because he was very witty and funny along with a very thoughtful sort of guy. Nothing to do with identity politics - but again, Germans officially were considered white in Pennsylvania and all other places they lived on census and tax records. His personal view (and your link is not a valid source either for his words) has not bearing on official view and use of the term "people of color" or "other colored" and who was included in those categories. Those categories historically only include people who were of African descent, indigenous Americans, and Asian descent.

In regards to your link, I did a search for part of what is quoted in it (which from the ...'s on the link/blog indicate that it was taken out of context) and I found the link below from Archives.org which indicates that that specific reference to Germans if attributed to Ben Franklin but it was not actually written by him and that it cannot 100% be attributed to him. Note that Franklin lived in Pennsylvania, which had a substantial amount of Germans. Germans were viewed negatively similarly to the Irish in certain parts of Pennsylvania primarily because they fully embraced their national and cultural identity (.... wonder if that would make you mad - FWIW where I'm from we have a lot of towns that were founded by Germans in NW OH and many of them, and even people of German descent in major cities in Ohio didn't stop speaking German and teaching their children in schools in the German language or giving church services in German until WWII - I personally admire German Americans for them clinging to their cultural roots so long and that they even today, those who are aware are very "into" their heritage. As noted, I have some German ancestry that I recently learned a bit about, but not much and I'm planning to really delve into it in the next couple of years - found out one of my direct ancestors may have been a Hessian mercenary/soldier for the British in the Revolutionary War. He married an African slave woman who was later freed so is my 6th great grandfather).

From Benjamin Franklin to Peter Collinson, 9 May 1753

The actual letter is shown in the link. Items attributed to Franklin about Germans include:

Quote:
I have often observed with wonder, that Temper of the poor English Manufacturers and day Labourers which you mention, and acknowledge it to be pretty general. When any of them happen to come here, where Labour is much better paid than in England, their Industry seems to diminish in equal proportion. But it is not so with the German Labourers; They retain the habitual Industry and Frugality they bring with them, and now receiving higher Wages an accumulation arises that makes them all rich.

Here he is speaking of how the Germans are doinig better than English immigrants due to their work ethic and thrift (something that is still thought of as culturally German BTW).

Quote:
When I consider, that the English are the Offspring of Germans, that the Climate they live in is much of the same Temperature; when I can see nothing in Nature that should create this Difference, I am apt to suspect it must arise from Institution, and I have sometimes doubted, whether the Laws peculiar to England which compel the Rich to maintain the Poor, have not given the latter, a Dependance that very much lessens the care of providing against the wants of old Age

Here his attributed letter indicates that the English are actually related to the Germans and are the same people.....

The letter is pretty fascinating and interesting considering one could easily replace specific Latinos or immigrant groups with Germans and it would be pretty contemporary today for politicians. I'll also note that the link you provided takes many of the phrases in the letter out of context - note that this is a reason why I do not use Wikipedia as a source, nor any blogs that do not reference the source of their material (especially as Wikipedia usually has a source and you can refer to the source - your link, as a blog did not and the author probably just copies something in an ignorant manner to try to prove Ben Franklin didn't like Germans when that is not the case really from the entire letter - he gives them many compliments and just warns that the colony could easily be overtaken by the Germans because when they come, they have more drive, determination, and thrift that the English immigrants who often are "the most ignorant sort from their nation." That quote was about the English and not the Germans in the link per the letter. He used this as a reason why the colony being an English colony could become a German colony by beign overrun with Germans. In PA, like in OH where I'm from, he indicated that they conducted all their business in "Dutch" (Germany is called Deutchland (spelling I'm sure is not accurate) by Germany itself and their language "Dutch" even today by many in both Ohio and PA). Even county records/wills were recording in "Dutch." I know because I have a lot of PA ancestry as well and have seen the German records in specific counties where there was a large German presence. Again, all of them were counted as white in the census. My mixed race and African ancestors were not counted as white they were "other colored" and "people of color." Not the Germans.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I wrote a post stating I hated the term "people of color", and the response to that post, as in, the poster quoted my post, said 'It's funny how white people blah blah blah when they are the ones blah blah blah", so, it was most certainly directed at me.

I'm white, but I didn't create jack spit when it comes to labels. So what is this 'that they created'? Or are you going to try to pretend that doesn't mean exactly what it means.

You can roll those eyes right on out of your head for all I care.

You all want me to feel guilty about what happened in the past. Tough cookies. I don't. I never will.

So all "white people" are you specifically.......okay then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies