Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Indeed, and the reason for that is that most of the major cities within the United States are port cities and are on major waterways which opens them up to commerce. They are America's major distribution centers. As they say in real estate: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Which means EMPLOYMENT, EMPLOYMENT, EMPLOYMENT. Which means POPULATION, POPULATION, POPULATION. Which breeds POVERTY, POVERTY, POVERTY and all the crap that goes along with it. You need one segment of the population, those that are working to support those that are not. Since there are more jobs in the major cities and their metro area's there are more people to take from and more than enough people that are more than willing to receive it. Los Angeles, New York City, Detroit and Chicago are prime examples.

The heartland of America is mostly agriculture and ranches, the bread basket of America. They don't need thousands of people to farm the fields and raise the cattle that's why the towns are a lot smaller and there are fewer jobs. Most of those products go from the field onto a truck and train to be distributed across the country. That too does not require thousands of centralized jobs.

There's a reason why most of the illegal invaders and America's indigent populations flock to America's major cities. It's a lot easier for the invaders to blend in with other non-English speaking people and there are more government programs for them and America's indigent people to take advantage of. That's exactly where the Democrats want to keep them. Enslaved to a life of government dependency. Impoverished people are the key to the Democrats power structure.

At one time the United States of America was the world's leading industrial power. Not anymore. As China and Asia have now built up their industrial base they can manufacture the same products a hell of a lot cheaper, mostly due to the cost of labor. We can thank America's organized labor movement for pricing themselves right out of a job. Organized labor is a core constituency of the Democrat Party.

Now the Democrats want to raise the minimum wage to $15 to $20 an hour. Soon someone that's making $25 an hour will demand more as a higher skill deserves a higher wage commensurate with that skill. Is it fair that a good auto mechanic make almost the same as a hamburger flipper at McDonald's? I'd say the hell with this, why should I perform a grueling, grimy job when I can just flip hamburgers for almost the same pay? Prices for everything will have to rise and that $25 an hour will have the purchasing power of $10 an hour. So what will they gain? I guess they haven't learned?
Farms don't hire illegals? Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Struck a nerve, did I?

Sounds like you've got a bad case of TDS?
The pollution is mostly affecting Trump country, so no, but the irony is hard to miss. They voted for the guy that allows them to pollute and poison their own communities. Since they voted for that, fine but blue states should not have to pay for any clean up later.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:01 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Driving through Camerillo or central california says that was a lie..

Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Exactly. There's about 25,000 farms, less than 2% of the population and they are surviving on taxpayer money while voting for the guy that opposes the existence of the illegal immigrant workers they are depending on. I have zero sympathy for farmers. We obviously have too many of them. If a farm cannot be self-supporting, it should shut down until the right amount of farms can stay in business without taxpayer money. We didn't give travel agents or baggage handlers money when their jobs went away.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. There's about 25,000 farms, less than 2% of the population and they are surviving on taxpayer money while voting for the guy that opposes the existence of the illegal immigrant workers they are depending on. I have zero sympathy for farmers. We obviously have too many of them. If a farm cannot be self-supporting, it should shut down until the right amount of farms can stay in business without taxpayer money. We didn't give travel agents or baggage handlers money when their jobs went away.
What is funny was the RNC convention during the Trump campaign. One of his speakers was an avocoda farmer form Ca. She was a member of a farmers coalition that wanted to expand guest visas for foreign migrant workers. Despite the fact that many overstay.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:11 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think Wal-Mart, strip malls and Amazon have had more to do with destroying small communities.
One is the product of the other.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
One is the product of the other.
Who forced small towns to shop there? Was there no loyalty of the small town folks to the local hard ware store over Home Depot?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:14 PM

10,465 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Blue states have a huge domestic migration problem. If it weren’t for international migration nearly all of them would have a stagnant or declining population. People are moving to suburbs and growing cities in the south and the west, mostly in low tax purple and red states. Domestic migration trends are not in your favor at all. https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...tates-n2447683

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ion-flows.html
Pretty much this. I was born and raised in WPB. In about 30 years, the natives ended up moving away to the Loxahatches, Acreage, Jupiter Farms and Indiantown areas, while immigrants from South America and the Caribbean have swamped the place. Now, the immigrants who became successful moved out to the rural areas to get away bustle of the city, but the city itself is still growing because of immigration.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hmm--why would people leave a rural town for the city?

One big reason. More jobs, better jobs, higher paying jobs and a future. Oh, and cities are much more interesting, with more young people, and a lot of things to do. Choices? Variety?

My question is why would anyone stay in a rural area with no jobs, no future, and not a whole lot to do besides opiates?
So what?

If small communities weren't left to die and still had basic small jobs and sustenance people wouldn't leave.

Having consumer choices to exploit like nightclubs and bar is a deep flaw of our society; a society where profits are morals.

I have nothing against breweries or coffee shops, and I'd small towns see a resurgence of them if people moved back, but to say that cities are more 'fun' and offer more 'interesting' stuff is what deprives people of meaning.

I'm young but I din't feel left behind from people partying in big cities. I know them and if anything I feel bad for them, they are fools promoting a more authoritarian corporate society.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So what?

If small communities weren't left to die and still had basic small jobs and sustenance people wouldn't leave.

Having consumer choices to exploit like nightclubs and bar is a deep flaw of our society; a society where profits are morals.

I have nothing against breweries or coffee shops, and I'd small towns see a resurgence of them if people moved back, but to say that cities are more 'fun' and offer more 'interesting' stuff is what deprives people of meaning.

I'm young but I din't feel left behind from people partying in big cities. I know them and if anything I feel bad for them, they are fools promoting a more authoritarian corporate society.
Authoritarian? Who forced the good folks of small town america to abandon the local hardware store for lower prices at Home Depot? Seriously. You talk about fools in the city. Meanwhile neighbors screwed neighbors in rural america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies