Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And yet cars are still responsible for many times more innocent deaths than guns.

You aren't calling for a sensibke restriction like a max speed if 30 mph that will save thousands of lives.

Sorry if I don't believe your big concern is about reducing deaths.
In terms of the last figures avialable, 25,000 people died in road deaths in Europe in 2018, whilst 38,000 died as a result of guns in the US each year.

America's gun culture in charts - BBC News - BBC.com

New report says UK roads are still the safest in Europe | Autocar

Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Crazy people can do less damage if they couldn’t get their hands on a gun...absolutely no way it creates more violence. Violence of some sort will always exist but it doesn’t mean you can’t reduce it.
That's ridiculous.

Do you know how much damage I could cause with 10 gallons of gas? How about 1lb of aluminum bar, an old car fender and an arclight on a timer switch? How about 10 gallons of Clorox and a gallon of distilled vinegar?

Fortunately I'm not crazy, because every now an again I do question my sanity (and crazy people don't think they're crazy), and I don't try the same thing another time and expect different results.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of the last figures avialable, 25,000 people died in road deaths in Europe in 2018, whilst 38,000 died as a result of guns in the US each year.

How many of those gun deaths were suicides?

I specifically said innocent victims. A person who holds a gun to his own head isn't an innocent victim since they intentionally chose to end a life.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:

BTW, why don't you care about those 25,000 deaths, most of which could be prevented with more regulations?

Old 08-06-2019, 05:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
There is also no legal right to not carry a firearm, if there were then lots of people who fought war in places such as Vietnam might have just said no I don't want to carry a gun when they were intially conscripted.

As for firearms, most countries don't have this debate, indeed people can have guns for sport, hunting, pest control etc, however these guns are restricted in terms of sei-automatic centre fire weapons that can be used to commit massacres.

You can carry out all the above activities without weapons that can kill 9 people in 26 seconds, indeed at the time of the Second Amendment guns were largely clumsy muskets.

And Puckle guns with external magazines. And Kalthoff repeaters. And Cookson repeaters.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:55 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
How many of those gun deaths were suicides?

I specifically said innocent victims. A person who holds a gun to his own head isn't an innocent victim since they intentionally chose to end a life.
MOST of the statistics they cite on "gun deaths" are SUICIDES. The rest are inner city Black on Black murder. There are maybe a few thousand homicides where people use a gun outside of these two categories. A few thousand out of a country of 330 MILLION. Pretty damn good odds you will never even see a gun in the U.S. unless it is on a cop's hip.

People that commit SUICIDE will use drugs or other means if they don't have a gun.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
BTW, why don't you care about those 25,000 deaths, most of which could be prevented with more regulations?
We do which is why we took the measures I stated in my previous post and reduced road deaths in the UK by 40%.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
The U.S. govt has manpower and weapons that no home arsenal would stand a chance against.
This concept of defending yourself from the government is a freaking joke.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
MOST of the statistics they cite on "gun deaths" are SUICIDES. The rest are inner city Black on Black murder. There are maybe a few thousand homicides where people use a gun outside of these two categories. A few thousand out of a country of 330 MILLION. Pretty damn good odds you will never even see a gun in the U.S. unless it is on a cop's hip.

People that commit SUICIDE will use drugs or other means if they don't have a gun.
Guns are an easy way to kill yourself, which is one of the reasons why US Suicides are up in many states but down in many pther countries.

As for murder rates they are substantial whether black or white and in terms of the prolific gun massacres they are not being carried out by blacks or other ethnic groups.

The main debate is about reducing weapons used in certain gun massacres, the same weapons legialated against in other countries after similar massacres.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
And yet cars are still responsible for many times more innocent deaths than guns.

You aren't calling for a sensibke restriction like a max speed if 30 mph that will save thousands of lives.

Sorry if I don't believe your big concern is about reducing deaths.
Seriously!

All we would have to do is make it harder and more expensive to get a driver's license (with more retesting), punish violations with enormous fines and taking licenses away, make DUIs have automatic jail time, and we would drastically cut road deaths and injuries.

But no one talks about this.
Not as sexy as guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies