Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

Since Trump took office over 8,000 retail shops have closed their doors putting many people out of work. Even Trump's enterprises are losing money to the point that Trump is directing his staff to frequent his hotel and golf courses. Thanks to Trump's insane tariffs every American family can expect and increase in living costs of about $1000 annually. Trump's tariffs have put thousands of American farmers out of business with many taking their own lives. No matter if or when these tariffs end China has now found new suppliers and they are not coming back to the US. Russia is doing exceeding well with Trump's tariffs with huge sums of income for supplying China and they plan to expand that trade. Trump did take care of his bestie Vladimir.

Trump is like a sidewalk hawker selling watches on the streets of NYC as he tries to push his hotels. Is this anyway for the president of the US to act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Trump supporters like to say that those who disagree with President Trump have "Trump Derangement Syndrome." I have been accused of having TDS on this forum because I have said that Trump's economy isn't doing well and that he uses rhetoric that I find to be inappropriate and sometimes, bigoted.

I think that some Trump supporters have what I like to call "Economic Downturn Denial Syndrome." Despite evidence to the contrary, these supporters of Trump can't accept the reality that the Trump economy is not much different than the Obama economy.

A few weeks ago, I posted about how Trump's policies have resulted in stagnant economic growth. That post on this forum can be found here: Trump's record.

In recent weeks, three interesting articles have pointed out that the Trump economy is not all that great and that we could be headed for recession:
1. https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...omic-narrative
2. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ptember-begins
3. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...st-a-recession

Some supporters of President Trump dismiss any talk of an economic slowdown as "fake news" because some on CNN and MSNBC have started talking about the economy in recent weeks. But those of us who believe in free markets and adhere to the Austrian school of economic thinking have been skeptical of Trump's policies for a while, and evidence in recent months have pointed to a slowdown in economic growth. The sad reality is, some of President Trump's supporters refuse to accept undeniable facts and refuse to try and gain a better understanding of economics.
The first step is to realize that there is no "Trump economy" as people like to claim. There was also no "Obama economy" or "Bush (1.0 or 2.0) economy" and so on. Every POTUS has a house and congress, individual state governments, business owners, consumers, employees, innovators, investors, weather, international politicians and political events that play a huge role in shaping the economy. They also bear the burden or benefit of things that those entities did months, years, and even decades before they were even elected elected.

This whole thing about dropping someone into a small 4-8 year window and claiming they own it all is taken so far out of its true context, usually just for political benefit.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:47 PM

814 posts, read 670,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Since Trump took office over 8,000 retail shops have closed their doors putting many people out of work. Even Trump's enterprises are losing money to the point that Trump is directing his staff to frequent his hotel and golf courses. Thanks to Trump's insane tariffs every American family can expect and increase in living costs of about $1000 annually. Trump's tariffs have put thousands of American farmers out of business with many taking their own lives. No matter if or when these tariffs end China has now found new suppliers and they are not coming back to the US. Russia is doing exceeding well with Trump's tariffs with huge sums of income for supplying China and they plan to expand that trade. Trump did take care of his bestie Vladimir.

Trump is like a sidewalk hawker selling watches on the streets of NYC as he tries to push his hotels. Is this anyway for the president of the US to act?

The meaning of American Pride was outsourced. The problem is those that failed to read the fine print are stuck behind the times and still wave their flag.... even if it was made in China.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 PM

856 posts, read 705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
More scare tactics by the left, wishful thinking that our nation will fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
But OP hates Trump, so he (and the media sources he cites) needs a recession to happen sooner rather than later.

All he is doing is engaging in propaganda at the behest of the MSM and DNC.
Thank you for proving my point here. By all means, read nothing except Trump's Twitter and ignore reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Another butt hurt Democrat trying to create a self fulfilling prophecy with predictions of doom and gloom.

Getting close to 2020.......Dems are praying for an economic downturn.....even if they have to make it themselves.
I am a libertarian leaning Republican actually. But thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry--the Trade War is coming home to roost.

"...Trump has slipped by a slight 5 percentage points specifically on his handling of the economy, from 51% approval in midsummer to 46% now. Fewer -- 35% -- approve of his handling of trade negotiations with China, and 60% are concerned that the trade dispute will raise the price of things they buy..."

...Most ominously, 60% see a recession as very or somewhat likely in the next year. That’s within sight of the 69% who said so in November 2007, in advance of the Great Recession... "

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ten-...ry?id=65414875
Thank you, great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Never before in the history of our country has such a massive deranged mob of people desperately wished for widespread economic hardship for their fellow men and women.

Terrifying.
First, I wish for economic prosperity. Secondly, thanks for proving my point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Do you have anything better to contribute than personal attacks on other forum users? You could present facts that back up your opinion rather than insults. And look at this way. Trump's tweets are symbolic tears--he's feeling pressured due to the economy and he's freaking out.

The topic is Trump's refusal to acknowledge reality.
Excellent point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
I remember the same type of denial before the 2008 crash. Not only that, but even AFTER it crashed, they were still in denial, lol.
Absolutely, great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Of course we are headed for recession. The only time we are not headed for recession is when we are in a recession. That is how the cycle works.
Fair point, but some of Trump's supporters are in denial that the U.S. economy is slowing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Obama was the first potus to never have one year of 3% gdp and he had 8 chances. Surely you hypocrites made a fuss about that.
Correct. I acknowledge that. I voted for Romney in 2012 and Johnson in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think it would be accurate to say that Trump supporters agree with him so blindly, so slavishly, that they will usually deny pretty much everything that reflects poorly on Trump, and declare it to be "fake."
Yes, and unfortunately we are seeing it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The first step is to realize that there is no "Trump economy" as people like to claim. There was also no "Obama economy" or "Bush (1.0 or 2.0) economy" and so on. Every POTUS has a house and congress, individual state governments, business owners, consumers, employees, innovators, investors, weather, international politicians and political events that play a huge role in shaping the economy. They also bear the burden or benefit of things that those entities did months, years, and even decades before they were even elected elected.

This whole thing about dropping someone into a small 4-8 year window and claiming they own it all is taken so far out of its true context, usually just for political benefit.
Your point is well taken. But Trump supporters seem to give him all the credit for any successes in the economy while ignoring any challenges and calling said challenges fake news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
We are living in the BIGGEST economic EXPANSION cycle. Ten years in and past our expiration date by our normal three years give or take a year.

It's not rocket science people. It's not the left it's not the right IT IS a cycle that keeps perpetuating by our 1% who keep us distracted while they grow the number of millionaires and shrink the middle class. This is not a CONSPIRACY lol.

Trump campaigning against China with his tariffs is more than a double edged sword. Not only is he flirting with war but he IS in FACT accelerating this recession. Very short sighted but he's calling the FED's bluff and banking on them and the 1% to prop up this economy in the months ahead of his re-election campaign. BIG money does not want their taxes to go up. Remember the top 1% pay 40%+ of the nations taxes.

There's very low volume in the stock market and big hedge fund chairmen are taking buy outs. Huge companies are buying their own stocks (buybacks) to skew their numbers for dividends and future mergers and acquisitions.

The writing is on the wall folks. It's not left it's not right.. it's down.

The only solution I see to buy us time is Andrew Yang's UBI. We have to tax the top 20 S&P to pay for our programs, by 2024 they won't have enough equity to tax.
It is the longest expansion in history, but not the strongest. In fact, it's been a relatively weak recovery and expansion. I agree with your conclusion, except I am opposed to Yang's UBI proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually if you were honest...which apparently you are not..you would be acknowledging the following
1. 2015 (during the Obama Admin) the government stated that we would enter a recession in 2017...no matter who was in office
2. there is a global turndown going on

3. the current admin, and its actions have helped the USA from turning downward in this GLOBAL turndown
4. the economy will slowdown...that is inevitable
I think you are right on 1,2, and 4 but wrong on 3. This administration has continued the same Keynesian policies of fiscal stimulus and corporate welfare as supported by the Obama administration. On top of that, they've engaged us in a trade dispute with China that has adversely impacted our farmers and manufacturers.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:13 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
The only unfortunate part will be the people left high and dry believing that the business cycle has somehow been magically conquered. We may see another increase in the suicide rate.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Trump supporters like to say that those who disagree with President Trump have "Trump Derangement Syndrome." I have been accused of having TDS on this forum because I have said that Trump's economy isn't doing well and that he uses rhetoric that I find to be inappropriate and sometimes, bigoted.

I think that some Trump supporters have what I like to call "Economic Downturn Denial Syndrome." Despite evidence to the contrary, these supporters of Trump can't accept the reality that the Trump economy is not much different than the Obama economy.

A few weeks ago, I posted about how Trump's policies have resulted in stagnant economic growth. That post on this forum can be found here: Trump's record.

In recent weeks, three interesting articles have pointed out that the Trump economy is not all that great and that we could be headed for recession:
1. https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...omic-narrative
2. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ptember-begins
3. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...st-a-recession

Some supporters of President Trump dismiss any talk of an economic slowdown as "fake news" because some on CNN and MSNBC have started talking about the economy in recent weeks. But those of us who believe in free markets and adhere to the Austrian school of economic thinking have been skeptical of Trump's policies for a while, and evidence in recent months have pointed to a slowdown in economic growth. The sad reality is, some of President Trump's supporters refuse to accept undeniable facts and refuse to try and gain a better understanding of economics.

Well, we have to understand that, no matter what, Trumpees will go to their graves defending anything he says or does. All the indicators are there that the economy is edgy and will probably go South in the next year or so, but they blame that on bad press instead of the reality that Trump has done nothing to make the economy continue to grow, and has done everything to assure it's demise.

Whenever you wonder how his supporters can be so blind, remember when Trump said " I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and I wouldn't lose a single supporter !" ? That was the one and only factual statement Donald Trump has made in his entire life. He knew his marks and he knew how to con them, bigly.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Dems have cried wolf too many times to be taken seriously....every prediction that they have fails miserably.

They've been wishing for an economic collapse for two weeks now, they've tried to show all types of pseudo charts, and use pseudo terminology like "inverted yield curve" to explain something that they themselves can't even understand....and every time you hear someone explain it--it means something else.

They've been trying to ruin consumer confidence and the stock market by manufacturing panic in MSM news--and thus far NOTHING has happened. And when all else fails and all signs point to a healthy economy...we get the "Obama started it speech " which isn't even true when you really get down to the nuts and bolts about it.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Dems have cried wolf too many times to be taken seriously....every prediction that they have fails miserably.

They've been wishing for an economic collapse for two weeks now, they've tried to show all types of pseudo charts, and use pseudo terminology like "inverted yield curve" to explain something that they themselves can't even understand....and every time you hear someone explain it--it means something else.

They've been trying to ruin consumer confidence and the stock market by manufacturing panic in MSM news--and thus far NOTHING has happened. And when all else fails and all signs point to a healthy economy...we get the "Obama started it speech " which isn't even true when you really get down to the nuts and bolts about it.
This is basically wishful thinking. None of the Democrats I've talked to want a recession. They're not happy with Trump, but they'd prefer to see him lose for other reasons.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
When it happens is when it happens.

Fools and talking heads have been saying this for years.
And we are going on two years with, despite every type of tax cut, interest rate cut, etc., that the markets aren't hardly beating inflation.

That's TRILLIONS lost already......it doesn't have to "happen" in a day or the closing of a Big Bank. It is happening as more and more people dial back their dreams due to the King of Debt and Tariffs.

It may stop happening if Trump loses but it still happened....years of lost opportunity mean something.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:35 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
When it happens is when it happens.

Fools and talking heads have been saying this for years.

Liberals have been saying back in 2016 that Trump's stupid policy will slow the economy in 2-3 years, because that is how long it takes for the market to reflect the change.

Stupid policies were enacted in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Now in the Fall of 2019, we are seeing the start of a slowdown. Just as liberals predicted.

It's no accident Trump is hounding the Feds to lower interest rate, he is hoping it will delay the inevitable. Guess what, when you have to resort to lowering the rate to pump up the economy, it's not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies