Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 12:20 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can't tell if that was intended as a joke, so just in case:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/c...-rollback.html

We're at the point where resource consumption for consumption's sake is policy. It's astonishing.
You mean like by continuous population growth via mass, global immigration? Vehicles could get better fuel efficiency and not need to be repaired and replaced as often if you stripped them down of so many regulatory standards. Automotive manufacturers have jumped the shark since the 1990s encouraged by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No cars made after 2012 are not lasting longer than before. The ultimate performance numbers depends on the model and is not the issue, the drivability, cost and complexity, durability, reliability and repairability is all impacted for minor increases in fuel mileage and emissions on a laboratory test cycle.
My wife’s 2012 Prius has 150,000+ miles. Other than filters, tires and fluids- no issues and gets 50mpg on cheap gas. It’s still on the original brakes due to the regenerative factors.

And I can haul 1/2 ton of wood pellets in the hatch. Of course mileage drops to about 30mpg, lol.

It’s an awesome little car. 10 gallons gets me 500 miles.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-08-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
You mean like by continuous population growth via mass, global immigration? Vehicles could get better fuel efficiency and not need to be repaired and replaced as often if you stripped them down of so many regulatory standards. Automotive manufacturers have jumped the shark since the 1990s encouraged by the government.
Do you have any proof of this assertion that cars are becoming less reliable and more costly to maintain? Cars are so reliable these days that the stereo system being confusing to use counts as a mark against it. Most are good for 100k+ with nothing but fluids, brakes, and tires.

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a breakdown of any sort. And that was in a 90s era car. Heck haven’t had to do anything but maintenance for the last couple decades.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
What are progressive leftists conserving in net? I'm trying to conserve 1990s automotive design systems, which were the best trade off. I'm trying to conserve the standard of living and the environment through immigration reduction. Leftist just burden and impose upon everything.
Why would you want to go back to the 1990’s. Try to stay on topic, I think there are some threads on immigration.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:05 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would you want to go back to the 1990’s. Try to stay on topic, I think there are some threads on immigration.
It’s called ‘straw man’. They glee in it.

I’m surprised no one in Camp Trump has elicited Hillary yet.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:36 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
No, the powertrains and drive trains, tuning and steering are not "better", not as affordable, not as reliable and durable, not as good drivability. And the real world fuel usage and emissions are not significantly better in the real world if at all. The regulations even monkeyed with the A/C refrigerant again causing issues there.
For the fifth time, PROVE IT.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Port injection's benefits over carburetion is worth the cost and complexity and is very reliable. Direct injection is not worth it. Electric steering is not worth the loss of good feedback and road feel.

These late model cars don't even always get better mileage in the real world than cars with none of the direct injection small turbo four motors, extra transmission speeds, electric steering, stop/start etc and the drivability and durability sucks.
Literally no one except for enthusiasts give two craps about “steering feel”, so put that card back in the deck.

Direct injection is totally worth it, both in terms of power gains and efficiency.

You don’t have a point, other than deflect from the fact that you can’t back your argument with any proof.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Literally no one except for enthusiasts give two craps about “steering feel”, so put that card back in the deck.

Direct injection is totally worth it, both in terms of power gains and efficiency.

You don’t have a point, other than deflect from the fact that you can’t back your argument with any proof.
You can claim whatever you want but I do not want electrical power steering and many other people do not either or wouldn't if they knew the difference. It sucks and all cars have it now to get maybe 1 MPG. To get any road feel and feedback at all the electric motor has to be undersized and loss of assist and crashes have even happened in high speed testing. Another thing often times you can feel the electric motor applying torque off and on and causing instability while cruising the interstate. It's just garbage.

Direct injection is not really worth it and has costed a lot of car owners a lot of money in problems. But it's not just direct injection and electric power steering. It's a whole list of things intended to meet fuel mileage requirements that have increased vehicle costs, lowered drivability, durability and reliability. Two other big things most automakers are forcing on car buyers to meet government efficiency standards, replacing larger NA engines with undersized turbo motors and CVT transmissions. I wouldn't own car that had that. Most people who repair transmissions have a very negative opinion of CVTs not to mention car enthusiasts don't like them.

Late model cars are a corporate and government scam.

Last edited by mtl1; 09-08-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You can claim whatever you want but I do not want electrical power steering and many other people do not either or wouldn't if they knew the difference. It sucks and all cars have it now to get maybe 1 MPG. To get any road feel the electric motor has to be undersized and loss of assist and crashes have even happened in high speed testing. It's just garbage.

Direct injection is not really worth it and has costed a lot of car owners a lot of money in problems. But it's not just direct injection and electric power steering. It's a whole list of things intended to meet fuel mileage requirements that have increased vehicle costs, lowered drivability, durability and reliability. Two other big things most automakers are forcing on car buyers to meet government efficiency standards, replacing larger NA engines with undersized turbo motors and CVT transmissions. I would own car that had that. Most people who repair transmissions have a very negative opinion of CVTs not to mention car enthusiasts don't like them.

Late model cars are a corporate and government scam.
Quit deflecting and provide proof, or stop lying. Choose one.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
CVTs do suck. Which is why it’s important to vote with your wallet and get a stick, torque converter auto, or dual clutch instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies