Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times

Advertisements

No one is looking forward to any of this but many are preparing for the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 PM

97 posts, read 116,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's appalling to me is that some people actually seem to be looking forward to this happening. Get a grip!
I am I got a grip on my shotgun. HAVE A NICE DAY!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
I have to say that it is all about attitude. Many folks have stated that they would rather die than go thru something horrific. Some insist that they will 'be taken up' in some sort of Rapture (for which there is no Biblical proof) and will avoid it, floating unconcerned above it all. Some prefer to ignore it. Some talk a blue streak about their planning for it - even post videos of their guns and supplies on the Internet! - but are merely setting themselves up for failure. We will each have choices to make, if and when such a thing happens. Neither panic nor denial will change whatever happens - the only thing that changes how it affects us is how we respond to it.

I have been thru several disasters, and the only thing you can do is plan - thoughtfully, quietly, and with plans within plans, for every eventuality. My karate instructor used to be appalled that I would enter every fight with a grin on my face. "You look like you are enjoying it! What is up with that smile?" No, I know my capabilities, I have worked and planned to reach that point, and I am smiling because it disarms my opponent and makes him not trust himself.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No one is looking forward to any of this but many are preparing for the worst.
If you have 90 days of water and food you have a 50- 50 chance of making it. by then most people will have starved off.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This illustrates why, in the history of warfare, no assault on a fixed position has ever been effective.
With a few exceptions. One noteworthy exception is Easy Company's assault on the artillery position on D-Day, an extremely well managed assault and still taught to cadets at West Point. But, I was addressing this in the context of untrained civilians trying to loot a well fortified home, where your assertion would likely apply with 100% accuracy.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's appalling to me is that some people actually seem to be looking forward to this happening. Get a grip!
I didn't get that from these posts. Some people are prepping, some not.
There's discussion about guns and protecting your stash.

We're in a very dangerous place right now in the US. It could go either way..recovery or another double dip and that second dip could be what throws us into a second Great Depression. No one can foresee the future, not even the best economists/analysts.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I'm sure the majority of Americans do not want us to collapse.
But it's certainly not foolish to be prepared.

On the bright side though..you've bought stuff at lower prices so when/if inflation rages you'll be sitting pretty well living off your stash.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
His scaremongering saved me a LOT of money last year!
Make enough doomsday predictions and sooner or later you are going to get one right.

I don't believe anything Celente has to say. He compared to real "economic experts" is like Fred Phelps is to "Christianity". A fringe lunatic.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Watch too much hollywood movie? I personally think American are the most job-loss-tolerated citizen. If such a massive and rapid job loss happen in Europe / China / India, you don't need to wait until 2012 to have riots.
We're too preoccupied with whats going to happen with Jon and Kate plus 8 and the ballon boy hoax and the latest the paparazzi can dig up on celebrities to care about our jobs getting shipped overseas for the profits of Wall Street.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:49 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have to disagree with you there, Chris. Decency doesn't prevail. Even when it is smarter to be decent, more productive to be decent, the marauders and barbarians are either slaughtered wholesale - or become politicians. Then they can rape, slaughter, and instigate wars with impunity, and with directed armies instead of undisciplined and multi-directional bands of pillagers.

All life is about power - getting it, keeping it, awarding it, taking it away from others. The only way you can win is either be at the top of the heap - or avoid the heap altogether. Even then, some of the trash can always fall off of the heap and roll toward you... Self-empowerment is never enough for the weak, or the weak-minded. They must always have power over others, too.
I agree with you Granny. If someone like Ghandi or Martin Luther King can simply be assasinated by someone who disagrees with them, then decency will never prevail.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Sorry if I'm iterating anything from anyone else's post. Admit I haven't read this entire thread.

One of the best quotes I've ever heard is attributable to Celente -- "When people lose everything and they have nothing to lose, they lose it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies