Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
My goodies are booby trapped. Break into those and it will be the last thing you break into.......that is if you didnt find the poisoned "decoy" stash first.

Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy?
Naw, the vast majority won't think to booby trap their goods, so I'll be fine. Believe me, if it all ever crashes, there will be so many starving, crazy people that the few that prepared will be quickly overun, no matter how much ammo and food they have stored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Naw, the vast majority won't think to booby trap their goods, so I'll be fine. Believe me, if it all ever crashes, there will be so many starving, crazy people that the few that prepared will be quickly overun, no matter how much ammo and food they have stored.
I doubt that. People know to locate folks who are lesser armed. For instance, it's easier to overrun the guy with the bolt action than it is to overrun someone who modified their AR or AK for full auto (the ATF won't be there to arrest them) and uses belt fed rifles. It's just not worth the risk of dying or being beaten to death, and nothing disperses a crowd of civilians faster than seeing people directly in front of them drop, some of them suffering horribly because they weren't shot in a vital spot.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I doubt that. People know to locate folks who are lesser armed. For instance, it's easier to overrun the guy with the bolt action than it is to overrun someone who modified their AR or AK for full auto (the ATF won't be there to arrest them) and uses belt fed rifles. It's just not worth the risk of dying or being beaten to death, and nothing disperses a crowd of civilians faster than seeing people directly in front of them drop.
So if you are smart looters you stay away from the machine guns. My point is that there will be very few people with assault rifles, so why should I prepare for any possible revolution/end times when I can just turn into an effective looter. In fact, all I really have to do to prepare is buy an assault rifle and plenty of ammo so I can loot more effectively.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
So if you are smart looters you stay away from the machine guns. My point is that there will be very few people with assault rifles, so why should I prepare for any possible revolution/end times when I can just turn into an effective looter. In fact, all I really have to do to prepare is buy an assault rifle and plenty of ammo so I can loot more effectively.
If you buy an assault rifle, chances are you know enough about the effectiveness of these rounds in order to stay far away from others who have them. Also, carrying an AK is cumbersome and even in many dire situations, you could be jumped from behind or arrested for walking around with one. When someone is defending their own home, it's likely their stockpile of ammo is far greater than your mobile supply. In addition, they may have family members and friends helping them out, plus rations, water, and first aid kits. They would likely also be in a stationary, elevated, and/or defelate. This is an interesting mental exercise, but unless you're a robot who cannot experience empathy, you will definitely hesitate when you see people around you dying to claim food or shelter.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
Aaaah ! Love those ghost malls. We have had ghost malls before when things were considered "good." Most malls are horrible places. Zombies wander around looking for the ultimate worldly object to elevate thmselves above other humans.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
A trends forecaster says the current economic "rebound" from last winter's Wall Street collapse of banks, insurance companies and automobile manufacturers is an artificial blip created by 'phantom money printed out of thin air backed by nothing. And Gerald Celente of TrendsResearch.com, says people right now should be bracing for "the greatest recession" which will hit worldwide and will mark the "decline of empire America." Crop failures could be among the minor concerns."Here we are in 2012. Food riots, tax protests, farmer rebellions, student revolts, squatter diggins, homeless uprisings, tent cities, ghost malls, general strikes, bossnappings, kidnappings, industrial saboteurs, gang warfare, mob rule, terror," he writes for a quarterly publication that is available through subscription on his website. Celente - People Should Brace For 'Greatest Depression'

Let's see ....

a member named "Truth Seeker 2012"

posts an extremely gloomy prediction for 2012 ....

and the next presidential election is in 2012 ...

Could this all be just one big coincidence?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:

Luckily, history has proven that trashy types only last for a time. Decency prevails at one point or another.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
They would likely also be in a stationary, elevated, and/or defelate. This is an interesting mental exercise, but unless you're a robot who cannot experience empathy, you will definitely hesitate when you see people around you dying to claim food or shelter.
This illustrates why, in the history of warfare, no assault on a fixed position has ever been effective.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Luckily, history has proven that trashy types only last for a time. Decency prevails at one point or another.
I have to disagree with you there, Chris. Decency doesn't prevail. Even when it is smarter to be decent, more productive to be decent, the marauders and barbarians are either slaughtered wholesale - or become politicians. Then they can rape, slaughter, and instigate wars with impunity, and with directed armies instead of undisciplined and multi-directional bands of pillagers.

All life is about power - getting it, keeping it, awarding it, taking it away from others. The only way you can win is either be at the top of the heap - or avoid the heap altogether. Even then, some of the trash can always fall off of the heap and roll toward you... Self-empowerment is never enough for the weak, or the weak-minded. They must always have power over others, too.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
What's appalling to me is that some people actually seem to be looking forward to this happening. Get a grip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies