Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times

Advertisements

Bad things happen. They always have and always will. Who knows when they will happen? Nobody.

The thing is, when something bad DOES happen, it’s always those who scoffed the loudest that get all emotional, crazy, and start causing trouble (looting, stealing, etc). These folks are the ones to be most afraid of by the levelheaded people who are prepared for a rainy day. That silly, alarmist food and water storage suddenly becomes quite appealing and important.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared. It's no more foolish than carrying a spare tire in the trunk of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
The best part is that those who weren't prepared for the depression are the first ones to complain and call those who've predicted it unAmerican, a stopped clock, or indulging in schadenfreude. Silly people.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
A trends forecaster says the current economic "rebound" from last winter's Wall Street collapse of banks, insurance companies and automobile manufacturers is an artificial blip created by 'phantom money printed out of thin air backed by nothing. And Gerald Celente of TrendsResearch.com, says people right now should be bracing for "the greatest recession" which will hit worldwide and will mark the "decline of empire America." Crop failures could be among the minor concerns."Here we are in 2012. Food riots, tax protests, farmer rebellions, student revolts, squatter diggins, homeless uprisings, tent cities, ghost malls, general strikes, bossnappings, kidnappings, industrial saboteurs, gang warfare, mob rule, terror," he writes for a quarterly publication that is available through subscription on his website. Celente - People Should Brace For 'Greatest Depression'

He has a better crystal ball than I do. I want that one that the Wicked Witch of the West used.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, you were not lied to. The problem WAS severe.

Having said that, I DO think that Bush's "deer in the headlight" appearance on TV back in the dark days of September of '08' DID create even more fear than was justified by the reality of the situation (which in truth was pretty darn bad in of itself). The result was a classic economic "panic". The stock market tanked - and corporate execs saw the value of their companies going down the tubes and immediately moved to cut costs (ie - meaning lay off workers) - this in turn led a sudden deeping of the recession that was already taking hold.

SOME of the stock market recovery since then is simply investors realizing that it is not the "end of the world" and that the economic problems (bad as they are) were not QUITE as severe as first feared - still very bad mind you, but something that CAN be dealt with.

Ken
So the way it was painted by Bush and later Obama was that there could be a run on the banks (hence banking stress tests), massive failures in the banking system creating a "meltdown", car companies going under etc.

The words “catastrophe,” “crisis” and “disaster” were used by Obama daily. Statements like “Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse.” (Quoted in the Washington Post). I could go on with 50 quotes. I went on for a couple of weeks.

So we were warned that we were going into a meltdown and my sales fell in March from $300,000 to $3000 and you think it was crazy to panic??? Potentially, the freeze was because of his idiotic scare tactics. The GDP slide of Q1 was focused in March a month after all of his warnings. I remember it well.

A news flash for you. I sell luxury widgets to the who's-who in business. I personally talk with them. There were a lot of "crazy" extremely wealthy executing their contingency plans. Rest assured that your bet that the market was over reacting was simply a good guess.

Additionally, the bulk of those business owners have no current plans to re-hire. It's going to be a painful year in 2010. The only question is how painful. My prediction is October of 2009 will feel better than October of 2010. Unfortunately, my customers are also predicting the same.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
localized gird collapse is not as far off as some people seem to think. The whole state of Minnesota is leaning on it hard right now. I see it every day. Thank god for Manitoba Hydro!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,607 times
The Mayans predict the world will come to an end in 2012 (theres even a movie coming out about this) so maybe this guy might be right. Maybe hes jacked-in to some ancient mayan wisdom.

Anyway, smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I see a civil war also coming in the USA....all started by Obama!
Our poor children our going to suffer!
And you call yourself "Wellness"?!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
The Mayans predict the world will come to an end in 2012 (theres even a movie coming out about this) so maybe this guy might be right. Maybe hes jacked-in to some ancient mayan wisdom.

Anyway, smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
Astronomer Philip Plait has stated that the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012. Apparently the Mayan calendar is like an odometer where each section reaches 9 and then clicks over to 0, and the next number to it starts a new cycle, so that when all the numbers again reach 0 all the way across the odometer the last number will change from 1 to 2 and the new cycle starts all over again.

Sorry to ruin your fun dude. You can smoke if you want, but I'm pretty sure we will all be around in 2012.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
A trends forecaster says the current economic "rebound" from last winter's Wall Street collapse of banks, insurance companies and automobile manufacturers is an artificial blip created by 'phantom money printed out of thin air backed by nothing. And Gerald Celente of TrendsResearch.com, says people right now should be bracing for "the greatest recession" which will hit worldwide and will mark the "decline of empire America." Crop failures could be among the minor concerns."Here we are in 2012. Food riots, tax protests, farmer rebellions, student revolts, squatter diggins, homeless uprisings, tent cities, ghost malls, general strikes, bossnappings, kidnappings, industrial saboteurs, gang warfare, mob rule, terror," he writes for a quarterly publication that is available through subscription on his website. Celente - People Should Brace For 'Greatest Depression'

Is this planned for BEFORE or AFTER the locusts?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:25 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The Coming Starvation In America

Old article from 2005 but being backed up by data.

Oct.13, 2009
Market Skeptics
People we have a food problem that is not being talked about, no food equals riots in the big cities.
It is no stretch of reason to conclude from the link above that the future starvation of Americans won't be accidental...

Every fiber of my being has been screaming that I need to live in an area with agriculture all around because I knew that someday it would be important. That, and water, must be near a reliable water source or store ample water.

While I now live in an area that used to be agricultural and still is in patches, I still worry. I figured a small town in Kansas would have the best chance of survival but I can't get myself to pack up and go. I used to live in Southern California and realized it would be a terrible place to live what with so few fresh water sources and so little agricultural land to serve 15 million hungry souls.

Then it occurred to me that not everyone HAS to be self-sufficient. We picture the future as bleak and people going mob-crazy. But in reality, I think SOME semblance of sanity will prevail. I think the period of chaos will be short-lived IF and only if people realize today that there is no future without working together. The sooner we realize that killing each other is going to be counterproductive (let alone awfully smelly), the better our chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies