Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
God's mind? Look, John, this is not a theocracy. Stop trying to force your religion on others. If you like the concept of a theocracy, there are some other countries that would embrace your M.O.

You and your fellow radicals can believe that some day the US will disallow women the right to choose. It is about as worthwhile as believing that cows jump over the moon, the sandman goes flying from rooftop to rooftop, and the moon is made of Swiss cheese. This is America - we are free to believe whatever we want to.

But we don't get to tell other people what they are supposed to believe.
Wow you only took two words of my whole quote huh? Chose to just argue what you could and ignored the main point. I'm sorry if you choose to see God as solely a religious being, i'm frankly agnostic/atheist so I don't really have a religion to force on anyone. You understand god can be anyone right, I can say Jimi Hendrix is my god and you can't really say much about it. So I was primarily using it as a figure of speech, now if you wish to actually respond to the main point of the quote I stated go for it but, stop reading into things so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
The people in the latter position most logically are actually bisexual. Oftentimes, when an honest-to-god gay person "switches" sexuality, they end up being mentally scarred or just overall depressed.

I know both my wife and I are bisexual. We don't choose to be that way, we're both just attracted to anything that's beautiful, regardless of gender.
Logic isn't always correct though, if even one person was once gay and is now straight and happy (even if they aren't) it shows its not a genetic thing. And again if it is genetics, where does it originate from if both parents are straight? Plus do you have stats that say people who switch sexualities they are mentally scarred and depressed? They must have switched for a reason, and my friends don't seem depressed to me so I don't know how accurate that statement is of yours.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Logic isn't always correct though, if even one person was once gay and is now straight and happy (even if they aren't) it shows its not a genetic thing. And again if it is genetics, where does it originate from if both parents are straight? Plus do you have stats that say people who switch sexualities they are mentally scarred and depressed? They must have switched for a reason, and my friends don't seem depressed to me so I don't know how accurate that statement is of yours.
john you need to get out more.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
sometimes people also give in to social pressures to conform even if it isn't something they really feel in their heart. you are mention god an awful lot for some one who says they are agnostic.
And I have continuously said its a figure of speech. Have you ever said "GOD D**M IT!!" when you are angry (or heard anyone say it) do you think those people or are you actually asking for "god" to come down and damn that? Not everything I say has to be literal remember that, because frankly it will become quite tiring to say its a figure of speech everytime I say it.

As for the first sentence, sure sometimes people give in, but what about those who just are no longer attracted to the same sex and decided without pressure from outside sources to get a bf or gf of the opposite sex? I'm curious if you can explain those people .

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Please point out anywhere where I said "genetics". There hasn't been a "gay gene" isolated. It doesn't have to be a gene for it to not be a choice.

And, it's not a gay turning straight hting, it's most likely a "bisexual discovering a stronger like for the opposite sex" thing.

As for the ex-gay thing leading to depression, that's not me talkin'. That's the APA. (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4107-Gay--Lesbian-Issues-Examiner~y2009m8d5-APA-report--Gay-conversion-therapy-can-cause-depression-and-suicide-attempts - broken link)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Wow you only took two words of my whole quote huh? Chose to just argue what you could and ignored the main point. I'm sorry if you choose to see God as solely a religious being, i'm frankly agnostic/atheist so I don't really have a religion to force on anyone. You understand god can be anyone right, I can say Jimi Hendrix is my god and you can't really say much about it. So I was primarily using it as a figure of speech, now if you wish to actually respond to the main point of the quote I stated go for it but, stop reading into things so much.
Nice backpedal there, John. You didn't say I had to be in Jimi Hendrix's mind, you said I had to be in God's mind to know what the future holds. I don't care if you worship trees, John - you still don't get to tell everyone else what they can do and what they have to believe.

Remind me again - what was your main point? It's hard to figure out with all the spinning your doing.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
john you need to get out more.
Is this just you dodging my questions? I asked serious questions, that are specific to this conversation we are having and instead of you answering them seriously, you just tell me I have to get out more? I do my best to answer all questions directed towards me, I would like the same respect given to me from others, if you don't me. Please don't quote me here and say how I am wrong for asking question now. I would like to keep this thread alive while there is still more to be discussed.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
And I have continuously said its a figure of speech. Have you ever said "GOD D**M IT!!" when you are angry (or heard anyone say it) do you think those people or are you actually asking for "god" to come down and damn that? Not everything I say has to be literal remember that, because frankly it will become quite tiring to say its a figure of speech everytime I say it.

As for the first sentence, sure sometimes people give in, but what about those who just are no longer attracted to the same sex and decided without pressure from outside sources to get a bf or gf of the opposite sex? I'm curious if you can explain those people .
perhaps you shouldn't use the term so much, I have only just now seen you say it is a figure of speech. to use it so much will allow people to think your objections are based on religion.

as to the switch, some people just experiment with sex for the sake of experimentation. doesn't mean that they are straight, gay or bi just experimental. happens all the time. it is way more acceptable in the younger generation than ever before and out in the open.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:

Yet, when I use the figure of speech, suck it up buttercup, I have to explain why it isn't a personal attack on your being. Oh, the irony....

A lot of hypocrisy flying around here. What to expect from someone who claims to be agnostic yet invokes God in his reasoning?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Is this just you dodging my questions? I asked serious questions, that are specific to this conversation we are having and instead of you answering them seriously, you just tell me I have to get out more? I do my best to answer all questions directed towards me, I would like the same respect given to me from others, if you don't me. Please don't quote me here and say how I am wrong for asking question now. I would like to keep this thread alive while there is still more to be discussed.
why I suggest you get out more is because for a young man you sure are uptight and have some extremely rigid views on sexuality, that most people take as normal human sexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies