Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 130,534 times

Advertisements

I've heard some not-so-nice stories circulating. As in, cars getting keyed and worse. This all just sounds so silly to me that I can't even fathom it.

Discuss.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Yep. Many admit it, and there's a lot more who just won't (admit it).

But I hadn't heard about a current rash of what you describe. Where have you heard this?

New Orleans once despised Californians, too. I'm sure they'd love to have those Californian's money put back into their city again.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Yep. Many admit it, and there's a lot more who just won't (admit it).

But I hadn't heard about a current rash of what you describe. Where have you heard this?

New Orleans once despised Californians, too. I'm sure they'd love to have those Californian's money put back into their city again.
All hearsay of course, but a friend recently moved up north and got the finger a few times on the freeway (with CA plates) and idiots screaming obscenities, something along the lines of "go home you blankety blank." I seriously blew all of this off, thinking it was isolated. But I guess I just keep hearing a few stories here and there. I'm sure I'll get mixed opinions.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,195 times
You better believe it! And its not just Oregonians. People in Washington state, Arkansas, Texas, and Colorado hate Californians too (and probably more states do as well). What it is, is people in those states work hard and save for that down payment on a house. Then Californians move in (who have just sold their house for more than it was worth by other states standards) and easily buy up property. This drives up the prices on area homes and puts them out of reach for some of the life long residents. If you're a Californian and move to another state, LIE and tell everyone you're from Washington state. Other states usually like Washintonians because they come from a beautiful state and don't have a lot more money than they do.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
GB1

116 posts, read 427,958 times
I think some people are dead serious about it, but most of what I've seen was just blowing off steam -- any change for the worse in Portland is blamed on "Californication" or "the California invasion." It's a stereotype based on Beverly Hills standing in for a whole state; when you hear "California" referred to as a pejorative, you can be sure they're referring to the Paris Hilton types rather than Northern Californians.

There's lots of irony in this, of course -- California is far more diverse than Portland in every way, despite Portland's fabled "diversity" -- and the easiest way to make money in Portland is to open an establishment that appeals to yuppies. I've traveled through most of California, and Portland resembles Santa Monica/West L.A. in its people and its interests more than any other place I've ever seen...but it's much easier to get around, and its surroundings are sure a lot prettier.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
I think some people are dead serious about it, but most of what I've seen was just blowing off steam -- any change for the worse in Portland is blamed on "Californication" or "the California invasion." It's a stereotype based on Beverly Hills standing in for a whole state; when you hear "California" referred to as a pejorative, you can be sure they're referring to the Paris Hilton types rather than Northern Californians.

There's lots of irony in this, of course -- California is far more diverse than Portland in every way, despite Portland's fabled "diversity" -- and the easiest way to make money in Portland is to open an establishment that appeals to yuppies. I've traveled through most of California, and Portland resembles Santa Monica/West L.A. in its people and its interests more than any other place I've ever seen...but it's much easier to get around, and its surroundings are sure a lot prettier.
TOTALLY agree and most of the reason I think the whole thing is so hysterical

Old 09-20-2008, 01:31 AM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
Unhappy For me, it is envy

I don't hate Californians, but I do envy them.

I too, hope to retire to Oregon, specifically the coast. Where I am located real estate values are not high. Yes, there are areas in Santa Fe, Placitas and Taos; more closely, Sandia Heights, that have six zeros in the asking price but it is not the majority of homes in the area as a whole.

So, I envy that Californians can move right in and retain a profit where for me it will be different, it will be a struggle.

But, I don't want Oregon to adapt to me, I want to adapt to it.

Don't know that it is the same here, I expect Oregon gets many more, but many here "take a lot of space" if I am being at all clear.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:33 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
You better believe it! And its not just Oregonians. People in Washington state, Arkansas, Texas, and Colorado hate Californians too (and probably more states do as well). What it is, is people in those states work hard and save for that down payment on a house. Then Californians move in (who have just sold their house for more than it was worth by other states standards) and easily buy up property. This drives up the prices on area homes and puts them out of reach for some of the life long residents. If you're a Californian and move to another state, LIE and tell everyone you're from Washington state. Other states usually like Washintonians because they come from a beautiful state and don't have a lot more money than they do.

Count Bostonians in that mix also. People with cali plates are also not welcome in my homestate of MA for the most part. Honestly, I think its funny myself to try to bust someones balls with a cali plate.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,639 times
Default Everyone hates

Everyone hates the "California attitude" of I'm better than you. Yes your car is more likely to get keyed if you have Cali plates and cut someone off or are speeding down the street or through the parking lot. But if you do that all the time you deserve it so act normal and respect other people and drive sanely and you won't have a problem.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:44 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
I wanted to make a bumper sticker that says, "Go Back to California," but I figured people would take it too seriously and get all offended. I would probably have a more serious attitude about the influx of people into my hometown of Grants Pass (mostly Californians) if it weren't for the fact that my parents were born and raised Angelenos, though they are Oregonians at heart. Many Californians don't mean to raise up our housing prices so much and many, many are really Oregonians at heart, just like my parents, even if they weren't born here. People here who have such a problem really need to get a clue, but the minority of transplants who refuse to assimilate need to get a clue too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland