Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 AM

105 posts, read 208,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I dunno dude it just sounds frikken idiotic how californian blooded people end up hating other californians. Its like do they not know their roots or took a match and lit part of their brain on fire through their ear when they've mistaken it for a q tip.
What part of what I said was far fetched? The busting balls part? I actually did it when I was out in Portland like when a cali car came close to me as i crossed and it kept rolling without letting me by, id turn around and make lil motions like id run towards the car and make faces or cross before they came then walk back the other way in an instant like i wanted to come up to the car and open the door on em.
Boston indeed is above Portland as far as city culture goes and funny thing is Portland was gonna become Boston. Be funny to imagine how it be if it went that way like if Beaverton would be Somerville also or the outer cities of the Boston OR being what they are in the NE today.
This is possibly the most fantastically non-sensical post I've read here in some time.

As for Bostonians, or any New Englanders for that matter, disdain for Californians--it doesn't exist. First, there's been no large-scale migration of CA residents to NE, and since I can't really imagine there ever will be, there are few people who have any negative feelings--and since it's so rare to see CA plates around the area, most folks would think it a novelty, if anything.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
This is possibly the most fantastically non-sensical post I've read here in some time.
Agreed, I even tried beer and it still made no sense

Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM

77 posts, read 301,203 times
What's interesting is now the sellers are wishing the California cash buyer would show up and buy their properties! It's a love/hate relationship. I don't necessarily blame the realtors for the increase in housing costs, it's more of a supply and demand issue. (although some definately pushed it) I'm happy the market is stabilizing here, it was getting unaffordable for many locals.
Californians are just easy to blame because people view them as coming from the promised land. My advice, if you don't want to get any flack, change your plates!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I'm a Californian now, after having grown up for 23 years in Oregon. I don't consider myself an Oregonian, I don't identify with Oregonian attitudes (I hate the cold, I don't like the climate, I'm not thrilled about the state in general), but I will always root for my Oregon teams: Blazers, Ducks, and Beavers. I went to OSU, but my dad went to U of O so I've been a Ducks fan for a lot longer than a Beavers fan. I live in L.A. but I reserve the right to still hate the Lakers Go Blazers! haha.

That being said, I never got the huge animosity I heard people throw around in Oregon over Californians, they are hilarious. There are certainly benefits to each state, I mean every single place you are going to find, every city, has positives and negatives, and a lot of these depend on how you weight things. If, for instance, you put weather at a low value, and safety and ease of travel at high value, that's going to make you favor Oregon. Living in L.A., it's not as safe of a city, and as far as I care this city can have its diversity, I prefer much-whiter Oregon. I don't like walking down the street and seeing nothing but Mexicans and Asians, or on a good day Persians and Armenians, whatever. I like to see mostly white people because I'm white. It's nothing personal but there's a reason crime is higher in Los Angeles and it's because of the minorities, who commit by far the most crimes, primarily blacks and Hispanics. Any city with fewer minorities is less violent, not hard to do the research on that one. Diversity is honestly overrated. That being said, I value great weather #1 on my list of important elements about a city, so for me Portland fails big-time on the most important criteria. The city planning in Portland is pretty good, I think, things are well laid out, the Pearl District is a nicer area of downtown that we yet have in L.A. (though I live in the nicest area of downtown L.A. and it will be way better than the Pearl within 5 years).

When I told people in Portland I would be moving down to L.A. for film, people were like, "Sweet so are you going to school down there?" "Yes, for a year." "Oh, cool. So when are you moving back up here?" "Uhhh, I'm not. I'll be moving there permanently." "Oh. ... Really?" They acted all shocked that somehow I wouldn't want to move back to Portland, haha, it's a funny attitude, like it's the greatest place in the world and everyone should want to live there.

Portland has two things working against it that make it very hard for me to want to be there: #1 terrible weather and #2 it was rated the worst singles scene in the entire United States recently, and I believe that because it's impossible to find enough good looking girls in Portland. Even my guy friends had so many problems, but when they moved away they could get a hotter girl easily. The main reason for this I believe is because Oregon is where couples move, like you meet your girlfriend somewhere else, you move to Portland to raise a family because it's a nice place to live and there are decent employment opportunities.

I think one of the reasons that there is anti-Californian feelings too is because a lot of Californians move to Oregon and those are the ones who mostly hated California, or couldn't make it down there, so they come back with stories about how bad it is, how they weren't safe, or whatever else they can think up. There's a reason, by the way, that our property values are way higher -- because it's not desirable to live in a rainhole like Portland. They did a study and found that Oregonians were more Vitamin D deficient (which comes from the sun) than any other state, including Alaska! It's just a really bad climate. Look at any sun-belt state and any place with nice weather and you'll find higher home values and property prices. It's no surprise people enjoy good weather and move where it's sunny. So it's easy for a Californian to sell a home here and move to Oregon and live way better. A decent house here is $500,000. That will get you a pretty nice place in Oregon.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
You are one of those people who value sunny weather above all else, and while more power to you, that's not the end-all-be-all for everyone. Also, you are totally wrong about property values being higher in the sunbelt- !!?? The only places in the sunbelt with absurd home values are on the coasts, I.E. California and Florida. Go to Texas or North Carolina or Arizona and you will find home values consistently lower than the PNW. Even Miami is pretty comparable to Seattle and Portland as far as home values are concerned. I don't know what you were thinking but it sounds like you just totally made up that whole thing up about house values.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Umm, no, I didn't. It's a fact. And South Carolina?! LOL, that is not the sun belt. When people talk about the sunbelt states they aren't talking about the East Coast at all, they're talking about California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico specifically, sometimes Texas is included, sometimes it is not. But it doesn't extend further than that. Just like the Bible Belt doesn't go out West here, haha.

Anyone who would pay as much for a home in Portland of the same size as a home in Los Angeles is a moron. Weather makes a HUGE difference to home values, always has, always will. Sunny climates are where property is worth the most, at least near major cities -- out in the middle of the desert, not so much. But you can't get a decent house in L.A. for less than $500,000, the kind of thing you can get in Portland for $225,000.

And obviously people value nice weather considering there are 35 million people in California and only 4 million in all of Oregon, with only one notable city, every other city is teenie tiny.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Umm, no, I didn't. It's a fact. And South Carolina?! LOL, that is not the sun belt. When people talk about the sunbelt states they aren't talking about the East Coast at all, they're talking about California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico specifically, sometimes Texas is included, sometimes it is not. But it doesn't extend further than that. Just like the Bible Belt doesn't go out West here, haha.

Anyone who would pay as much for a home in Portland of the same size as a home in Los Angeles is a moron. Weather makes a HUGE difference to home values, always has, always will. Sunny climates are where property is worth the most, at least near major cities -- out in the middle of the desert, not so much. But you can't get a decent house in L.A. for less than $500,000, the kind of thing you can get in Portland for $225,000.

And obviously people value nice weather considering there are 35 million people in California and only 4 million in all of Oregon, with only one notable city, every other city is teenie tiny.
B.S. dude....You are talking about the desert southwest, which is not all-inclusive of the sun belt. Everyone knows that the sun belt extends from coast to coast.

Sun Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While weather does factor into housing prices, it is not a big factor. If that were true, the sun belt would have the highest average housing prices in the country, which is not the case at all. Why are Seattle homes values way higher than the national average, despite your disdain for the weather? Maybe your own obsession with the sun is skewing your thought processes.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 48,369 times
Basically, any place where Californians migrate in droves will not like Californians. Californians notoriously drive up the housing prices and the overall cost of living. Also, in the PNW, we're typically very protective of our way of life. The stereotypical Californian doesn't fit in with that at all.

It's mostly out of experience that we dislike Californians. Whether it be their driving or something else. Members of my family grew up in Mukilteo, WA. Over the years, we've watched as it went to a nice little hidden gem with a small-town feel to "one of the most affluent suburbs of Seattle". It went from affordable and modest homes to multi-million dollar mansions covering the hills. Most of that is due to the Northern migration of Californians who can no longer afford California or dislike certain aspects of it but still want to hold on to their Pacific beaches and their West Coast feel.

Just don't advertise you're from California and it should be all right. Although you may notice a cringe on people's faces when you tell them where you're from.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM

19 posts, read 37,243 times
I am very disheartened to hear that people hate those from California. I am in my 20's still am married and have 2 young children and am saving my money to move to Oregon for a new life for our family. I was brought to California by my parents as a teenager with no choice and don't want to raise my kids in this horrible environment and would never be able to forgive myself if my kindergartner was taunted when they find out my kids were born in California? Is the stereo typing that bad?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a113antonia View Post
I am very disheartened to hear that people hate those from California. I am in my 20's still am married and have 2 young children and am saving my money to move to Oregon for a new life for our family. I was brought to California by my parents as a teenager with no choice and don't want to raise my kids in this horrible environment and would never be able to forgive myself if my kindergartner was taunted when they find out my kids were born in California? Is the stereo typing that bad?
Kids will mock each other for anything, if they don't have a reason they make it up. None of it is as bad as people make it out to be, I don't think most people would even care. I'm surrounded by people from Cali, no one cares...their kids don't care, the kids around them don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland