Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Cali is easy to pick on, being one of the largest and most populated states...so if some one says it they are bound to get attention :-p

Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM

16 posts, read 70,168 times
How about everyone just grow the heck up. As if I can help the fact that I was born and raised in California. This is ridiculous. A person should be able to move where they want and when they want. Do you think I like paying the high cost of living in California. What makes people think I don't have the right to move and be accepted. Again, I did not choose where I was born and raised. This is a sad world we live in. I could care less if someone moves to Cali. I'm not going to dislike someone based upon where they live. That is so ignorant.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmylife View Post
How about everyone just grow the heck up. As if I can help the fact that I was born and raised in California. This is ridiculous. A person should be able to move where they want and when they want. Do you think I like paying the high cost of living in California. What makes people think I don't have the right to move and be accepted. Again, I did not choose where I was born and raised. This is a sad world we live in. I could care less if someone moves to Cali. I'm not going to dislike someone based upon where they live. That is so ignorant.
I think everyone is making fun of people that do, and finding peoples experiences with other twits. If you go around verbally attacking people and scolding them like an over bearing mother figure for satirizing a point you don't like.....

That might be why people my not like you and when they find out you're from cali....you've become that damn Californian

Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 PM

I didn't verbally attack anyone. We are all human and we live in a free country and it pathetic that we spend time worry about state people are from. I really don't care who likes me or not. But I hope those types of people don't raise their children to dislike others based on geographic locations. How shallow is that. I don't think i am any better than anyone especially because i am from California. That is very immature and silly. I bet if your life was at stake and your only option was to be saved by someone in California, suddenly where they are from wouldn't matter. I mean seriously its just as bad as not liking someone for race or religion.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM

If a person has the opinion that people from certain states deserve to die....they need help, that's insanity. If you outright hate people for being from another place, I think they have groups for that.

Interjecting with people discussing the topic and calling them "ignorant", "shallow" and to "grow the heck up" because they don't like what we were talking about, usually is not perceived as friendly. You missed the other part of the reply, most people agree. Let me repeat, people here agree it's a crazy stereotype. Calling those who agree with you names, well the last person I know who did that was Mr. Jack Thompson.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM

You read it wrong. I never said anything about people from certain states deserving to die. My point I was making is that people are people and we are all created equally. It really is hard enough to make it these days and I just feel bothered that because of where we come from that we are not liked if we move to a different area. I think its sad. Everyone has a right to go where they want and well I guess you can't change peoples ways of thinking but I think its great when people not originally from California move here. And I would hate to think if I moved to Oregon that I am automatically disliked. That is all I am getting at.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM

25 posts, read 78,761 times
Default forgetaboutit

My belief is that if someone dislikes you, solely because of where you are from: they are likely small in number, they are too stupid to be bothered with, and you should ignore them.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
You better believe it! And its not just Oregonians. People in Washington state, Arkansas, Texas, and Colorado hate Californians too (and probably more states do as well). What it is, is people in those states work hard and save for that down payment on a house. Then Californians move in (who have just sold their house for more than it was worth by other states standards) and easily buy up property. This drives up the prices on area homes and puts them out of reach for some of the life long residents. If you're a Californian and move to another state, LIE and tell everyone you're from Washington state. Other states usually like Washintonians because they come from a beautiful state and don't have a lot more money than they do.
This reminded me of something that happened to us back in the late 1980s. My wife and I (we live on Long Island, NY) flew to Seattle to spend a few days touring Washington state and British Columbia. We rented a car at Sea-Tac which had California plates. A few days later we stopped at a B&B (Port Angeles, WA area) we found advertised in a local magazine... the owner answered our knock and said to us "we do not accept Californians". I thought she was joking and said that to her, but she had recognized our license plates and was adamant..sorry.. no Californians.. however after a minute she heard my "longuyland" accent and told us we could indeed visit her place. Oddly enough she was a pleasant woman and made us feel quite welcome. I never forgot that .
We have family that lives in Napa California, and they keep Oregon plates on their cars (sister-in-law is a native of Bend) so when they visit family there, they are not harassed. I'm an easterner, but from my limited experience, sounds true.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM

I really have never heard of this kind of thing. Maybe here in California we are just used to anyone and everyone coming from all over. If things like this happen on a regular basis well then this is one Californian who won't be moving there. I don't need the drama. And I sure don't have the type of personality to just not say something if I was harrassed for being from Cali. So better that I keep my family here. And if they are this silly about locations how would they feel about me being from cali and married to a black man with mixed children, lol. Thanks everyone for your stories and thoughts

Old 10-25-2008, 11:32 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
It would not make any sense for people from Oregon to hate people from California considering that the majority of people in both states share the same liberal ideology. If anything most people from Oregon hate people people from the red states, especially if they are white christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland