Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will take everything?
New England Patriots 15 46.88%
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 18.75%
Indianapolis Colts 0 0%
Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens 1 3.13%
New York Jets 0 0%
Atlanta Falcons 4 12.50%
Chicago Bears 1 3.13%
Philadelphia Eagles 1 3.13%
Seattle Seahawks 1 3.13%
New Orleans Saints 0 0%
Green Bay Packers 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times

Advertisements

For those of us wondering, Manning beat Sanchez in last years AFC title game putting up a QB rating 30 points higher. Yes the Jets beat the Colts in these playoffs, but they did so just by the skin of their teeth, against a depleted Colts team and needed one of the worst coach-called time outs I have EVER seen. The AFC has been full of great teams ever since Manning came into the league, some of those games he lost along they way were against super bowl champs. It wasn't always Manning melting down in the 4th like you guys are suggesting.

Do you guys really believe Sanchez has a "switch" he just turns on in the 4th quarter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
The Jets really didn't blitz that much in that game. The rushed 3 or 4 people over 80% of the time in that game.
Who said they blitzed??? I said they pressured the qb constantly...wheres Coupon was saying Brady had all day and the coverage was great. And when did they ever rush 3? Cmon

Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,745 times
I don't know what happened but i am just glad those Pats lost. ^_^ EPIC FAIL!!! BYE BYE BRADY THE BABY!!!! Sadly i wanted the Eagles or the Falcons to win it all. But now I don't know who to root for... But hey No Pats

Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ orangeish look up the statistics yourself if you don't believe me. you're actually using last years comparison of a rookie qb already doing what wasn't to be done against a proven superbowl champion... dude lets be for real now. Obviously in that game Peyton outperformed a rookie... but if you look at the numbers of his entire postseason career they're just average. He throws picks, he plays tight, and most importantly he loses the games. sanchez has already done something that no other QB has ever done, beat the Colts and Pats in the playoffs in consecutive weeks. If he beats the steelers this week that means he will have knocked off manning, brady and roethlisberger back to back to back.

And I never said sanchez flipped a switch, but he does play better under pressure. that is not something thats so hard to believe. some people have it, others don't and peyton is by far a better QB than sanchez but come playoff time I think sanchez has already proven more than manning has. but dont take my word for it, check the statistics yourself...

@ jp03 why on earth you would send more pressure to Roethlisberger knowing that 1 he has a gun for an arm and 2 hes a mobile QB is beyond me... Ravens defensive scheme wasn't what did them in. What did them in was having 8 guys who should've been guarding the deep pass more than anything else and yet they let a 58 yard throw reach the receivers hands... Im still mad at the fact that im not 4-4 cause i should've been. Stupid ravens just fell apart...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ orangeish look up the statistics yourself if you don't believe me. you're actually using last years comparison of a rookie qb already doing what wasn't to be done against a proven superbowl champion... dude lets be for real now. Obviously in that game Peyton outperformed a rookie... but if you look at the numbers of his entire postseason career they're just average. He throws picks, he plays tight, and most importantly he loses the games. sanchez has already done something that no other QB has ever done, beat the Colts and Pats in the playoffs in consecutive weeks. If he beats the steelers this week that means he will have knocked off manning, brady and roethlisberger back to back to back.

And I never said sanchez flipped a switch, but he does play better under pressure. that is not something thats so hard to believe. some people have it, others don't and peyton is by far a better QB than sanchez but come playoff time I think sanchez has already proven more than manning has. but dont take my word for it, check the statistics yourself...

@ jp03 why on earth you would send more pressure to Roethlisberger knowing that 1 he has a gun for an arm and 2 hes a mobile QB is beyond me... Ravens defensive scheme wasn't what did them in. What did them in was having 8 guys who should've been guarding the deep pass more than anything else and yet they let a 58 yard throw reach the receivers hands... Im still mad at the fact that im not 4-4 cause i should've been. Stupid ravens just fell apart...

Because he tends to hold the ball....! No pressure means no win...its a fact in the NFL.. and the proof was in the pudding. Plus nobody said blitz! Send four freakin people. Geez...

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
For those of us wondering, Manning beat Sanchez in last years AFC title game putting up a QB rating 30 points higher. Yes the Jets beat the Colts in these playoffs, but they did so just by the skin of their teeth, against a depleted Colts team and needed one of the worst coach-called time outs I have EVER seen. The AFC has been full of great teams ever since Manning came into the league, some of those games he lost along they way were against super bowl champs. It wasn't always Manning melting down in the 4th like you guys are suggesting.

Do you guys really believe Sanchez has a "switch" he just turns on in the 4th quarter?

Like anon1 said Sanchez was a rookie last year and they had to win 3 games to get to the SB last year which isn't an easy takes for anyone, especially a rookie. I think some people forget that the Jets were in control of that game last year and the Colts had to come back and their comeback was aided by Shon Green getting injured. IMO Shon Green may have been the hottest player in the playoffs period last year. You and I look at that Jets/Colts game differently because what I saw was a time that never felt like they weren't in control of that game in Indy and they felt that at the end of the game they KNEW they would make the plays to win it. The score was close and the game was won on the last play of the game, but I felt like the game was controlled by the Jets and played out exactly how they wanted it to. Also, don't forget that Sanchez wasn't 100%. There has been some good teams since Manning has been in the league, but IMO I believe he had the best team several years durning his career. There is no excuse for having a team with that much talent on it for that long and only getting one ring out of it. Most of those years they went into the playoffs as the number one seed overall. How many years now have people been talking about how bad Ben Roethlisberger's line is, and how many players can you realistically name off the Pats Superbowl winning teams offense that were impact players? To me this year is only the second time in Mannings career that he had a normal offense. The first time was his first season and he struggled badly in both years. Sanchez doesn't have a switch that he turns on but he does just have that "it factor". There are Good QBs in the NFL and even great QBs in the NFL, but only some of them have that "it factor" and Manning isn't one of those guys. When a team has a it factor guy they are never out of it. When your team has one of these guys you tend to not worry about falling behind in a game or you don't worry when there is less than 2 minutes in a game and your team is behind because you know that that guy can and usually will get it done. More importantly the guys on that team know that they always have a chance to win. If you listened to what the Steelers players were saying about Ben is what I am talking about. They all felt like they were going to win the game because they had #7 in the huddle. The offense was talking about how on that 3rd and 19 he told them the play and said they were going to convert it and they all believed him and ran their routes that much harder and you see how that turned out. Sanchez is building that type of rapport with his team to wear they know if they keep it close he can and will make the plays to win the game.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,021 times
holy sh1t you guys are sleeping on the jets? you will see soon who will win it all muhahahahaha

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ streetballer let it be man... dont hype up the jets. i rather them be the underdogs cause having a chip on their shoulder is a good thing for this team. It reminds of the 07 Giants who faced the Pats three years back... just let it rock, and if people are taking the Steelers thats fine... Im actually hoping more people pick the Steelers and I wish the point spread was a little more in favor of the steelers... dont want them to get complacent.

@ jp03 we'll just agree to disagree... I dont see how adding one more player to the rush and taking him off the deep threat would have helped at all but i guess you see something I dont so we'll just end it at that...

@ Dorian agree 100%.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM

A stat I stumbled on I felt was interesting: Sanchez career yards per game in the playoffs: 180 YPG. His team has been very good in the playoffs the last two years, he has been pedestrian.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Lets also take a closer look at his victories that Sanchez has "led" his team to.

Last year first round, the Jets beat Cincinatti. The Jets were a much better team, and the Bengals secondary was especially bad. Shon Greene also ran the ball very well that game. The Jets defense also forced multiple turnovers. Sanchez attempted only 18 passes in that game, and he was effective, but it was pretty clear that the running game opened that up. You don't win a game like that without effective running.

Next we have their win over the SD Chargers, who could screw up a cup of coffee when it comes to the post season. The Jets won a close game, their defense was exceptional. Mark Sanchize, his line was 12/23 100 yards for the game

Then we had the AFC title game in which the Jets jumped out to an early lead, but Manning summoned his inner "it" factor (note my sarcasm) and the Colts came back to win. Sanchez had a decent line, with his WRs having a lot of YAC, but he sealed the Jets fate with a late INT. Hardly a good way to end the 4th quarter.

Now this year

The Jets first victory was against the Colts, which as we talked about was basically gift wrapped by a terrible time out call by Caldwell. Sanchize threw for a buck 80 that game.

Then we have the most recent game in which Sanchez deserves credit for making some great late throws, but he still failed to eclipse the 200 yard mark, as the Jets have a very healthy running game.

Of all these games, I would be ok saying there is one instance in which Sanchez was the main cause of the victory--and thats pushing it. I am ok with being high on your team when they are winning, but I think everyone needs to stop acting like Sanchez is an elite QB, whether its in the 1st or 4th quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football