Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 06:46 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Does anyone really think this would have made a difference in a blowout game? Seriously??? I don't, not at all.
Nope.. but i do wonder how many games have they done this in. Did they do this against the Ravens the week before? That's the issue at hand. How long have they been doing this.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If one player who made an interception called out the ball, how could the Patriots offensive players not feel the same thing?
Seems to indicate they had to be aware of it, doesn't it? Either that, or they had been doing it all along and couldn't see any difference.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Seems to indicate they had to be aware of it, doesn't it? Either that, or they had been doing it all along and couldn't see any difference.
I don't know. The taping in 2007 is one thing - easy to think the players had no idea. But yeah, if I was on offense and I was playing and touching a ball on every down I would think I would easily notice the difference. But always being done, and only now it's found out? I can't buy that. This whole thing smells of something, but I just can't figure it out. Who did it and why - that's something we may never know.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
but let's keep things in proportion here: no team had the advantage as both played with deflated balls.
Not true

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Does anyone really think this would have made a difference in a blowout game? Seriously??? I don't, not at all.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If one player who made an interception called out the ball, how could the Patriots offensive players not feel the same thing?

Seems the highly trained NFL Refs would have noticed as well. sniff sniff...

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
No

Seems the highly trained NFL Refs should have noticed as well. sniff sniff...
I fixed your post for you.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
No

By and large the refs have not had a good playoff. They touch the ball before every play, so one would think they should be able to tell right away something was off.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
.... Who was responsible for getting the balls deflated after they were checked by officials? Why didn't the officials bring this to light since they touch every ball, other than just cycling a few balls out? If one player who made an interception called out the ball, how could the Patriots offensive players not feel the same thing? I also thought of Happy Gilmore - is it possible there was a paid plant to set up the Pats since they do win and have been caught before? And with that I am not accusing another team, but something to do with money....
Quote:
No

It's why I think something fishy is going on here. The whole thing seems too odd in the way it was brought to the NFL's attention. I'm not saying who on the Pats organization knew about this, but right now I just can't figure out the who and why.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Eh, yes there should be punishment for cheaters, but let's keep things in proportion here: no team had the advantage as both played with deflated balls. So invalidating the Pat's win, who were clearly the better team, would seem to be a bit excessive.
Even if both offenses played with the same balls, which I don't think is how it works in most games since they say that each team brings their own set of 12 balls, there still could be an advantage to one team or the other. The reason is, you are leveling the playing field. Maybe Luck has no problem gripping a fully inflated football where as Brady has maybe slightly more difficulty gripping a fully inflated ball. Deflating them would level the playing field.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, if what ESPN reports is true.. 2 psi less on 11 of the 12 balls for the Pats, then the weather option is OUT. The weather did not cause 11 of those balls to lose 2 psi..
Actually, that probably makes it more plausible that it was the cold.

I'm no Patriots defender, but I have to be fair here. If you inflate 12 balls with 75-degree air, and take them out into 40-degree ambient temperatures, they should all contract about the same. I'm not going to go so far as to say that's what happened, but I can accept that it could have been that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.