Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM

252 posts, read 459,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Eli Manning has never been hurt. He's never missed a game. He's a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback. Eli can easily play until he's 40. I wouldn't necessarily draft a QB in the first round. I'd build the offensive line and get a running back. You draft a young buck and throw him in there, he's going to get eaten up. Look at the defenses he has to face twice a year: Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys. You need someone you can sit for a year or two until he's ready.
Trust me I am not looking to add QB. I am very happy with Davis Webb he is another tank like Eli. I agree totally with you on not drafting QB but we are talking about Jerry Reese here LOL! He is not aggressive at all.

The best way to win the draft is to pick up QB and trade him with the team that needs one the most and get a ton of draft picks. Similar to what Skins did for RG3. Pick up some stud OL and LB, Add one RB and build a strong Offense and we have pretty good Defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Trust me I am not looking to add QB. I am very happy with Davis Webb he is another tank like Eli. I agree totally with you on not drafting QB but we are talking about Jerry Reese here LOL! He is not aggressive at all.

The best way to win the draft is to pick up QB and trade him with the team that needs one the most and get a ton of draft picks. Similar to what Skins did for RG3. Pick up some stud OL and LB, Add one RB and build a strong Offense and we have pretty good Defense.
You mean, the Redskins giving up a ton of draft picks to get RGIII? Because when his time was done in Washington, he was just straight up cut. The 'skins didn't get anything for him. If we had that to do all over again, I'm sure we would've never drafted Griffin. In fact, we had our sites set on Russell Wilson AND Kirk Cousins. I can only imagine where we would've been had we went that route and kept our draft picks.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:14 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Need to follow the GB model. They had AR behind Favre learning the game. When it was said and done he stepped in more than ready.

I know nothing about Webb. Is he pro-bowl material? Because that is a must at the QB position. Yeah, you can get by with a serviceable QB but a great QB keeps your team in contention year after year.

NYG need to build their OL and get a good RB (or 2). Except for LB their D is pretty solid.

Another note on Elisha : his # of TO's = his # of TD's. Yeah, he was QB on 2 SB teams that a stifling D won and a miraculous catch had to be made.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:30 PM

252 posts, read 459,291 times
Quote:
You mean, the Redskins giving up a ton of draft picks to get RGIII? Because when his time was done in Washington, he was just straight up cut. The 'skins didn't get anything for him. If we had that to do all over again, I'm sure we would've never drafted Griffin. In fact, we had our sites set on Russell Wilson AND Kirk Cousins. I can only imagine where we would've been had we went that route and kept our draft picks.
Wasn't it like 4yr 1st draft pick and 2nd draft picks? I am sure if a team is super desperate they will do it to get a franchise QB.

Colts may lose Luck as speculations are he is done.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Wasn't it like 4yr 1st draft pick and 2nd draft picks? I am sure if a team is super desperate they will do it to get a franchise QB.

Colts may lose Luck as speculations are he is done.
I'm not sure what your asking? The Redskins gave the Rams (then St. Louis) their 6th overall pick in 2012 and their second round pick that year, plus '13 and '14 first round picks. In hindsight, it was an awful deal - turned out to be terrible for both clubs.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Giants will certainly draft a QB with the draft position, You shouldn't waste top 5 picks for OL. What Reese needs to do is trade down for OL around 15th pick or higher.

We also need a solid LB which can be picked up in the 2nd and another WR in the 3rd or 4th round.
Quote:
Eli Manning has never been hurt. He's never missed a game. He's a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback. Eli can easily play until he's 40. I wouldn't necessarily draft a QB in the first round. I'd build the offensive line and get a running back. You draft a young buck and throw him in there, he's going to get eaten up. Look at the defenses he has to face twice a year: Eagles, Redskins, and Cowboys. You need someone you can sit for a year or two until he's ready.
i agree with skinsguy on this. the giants have a decent quarterback right now, and eli is good for a few more seasons, barring injury. they need to draft what they need regardless of draft position. so yes, take your number one pick and grab a lineman, unless someone like zeke elliot is available, since they also need a running game as well. a quarterback an wait since you just need someone who can run the offense at this point, and can learn the position. again i remind you that dak prescott was taken in the fourth round.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times
That would be a mistake With the money that they would have if they got rid of him, they could fill several positions.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
First and foremost among the Giants problems is offensive line. They botched that this past offseason, and you see what that has got them. The Giants O-line has been pretty bad for a couple of seasons now, and GM Jerry Reese gambled that returning the same 5 starters from last season's suspect line would somehow, magically, work. Needless to say, it didn't.

The Cowboys got lucky with Prescott. You don't normally find a great QB that low in the draft (Honestly, the Cowboys got lucky with Romo, too--an undrafted Free Agent?). Tom Brady, obviously, is another exception. But think about how many of those QBs fail. Several. Heck, the Giants have already done the low draft pick thing: Remember Ryan Nassib? I am not even sure he is on an active roster right now (I think he is on Jax's Practice Squad). The odds are supposed to work more in your favor if you draft a QB high: DeShaun Watson, first round. Jared Goff, first round. Of course, Carson Wentz, first round.

I think Eli is still a good QB, but I don't know what the past couple of seasons of done to him: An unimaginative offense and play caller, combined with a porous offensive line and zero running game. No QB would thrive under these conditions. Eli could begin to see "ghosts"; I believe even grizzled veterans will start to see them if you keeping getting hit long enough. Manning hasn't had protection in going on 2 years. The running game has lacked being a threat around the same time Ahmad Bradshaw was let go. I would love to see the Giants get a dynamic RB as well, but if there are no holes for him to run through, it simply wont matter.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The Cowboys got lucky with Prescott. You don't normally find a great QB that low in the draft (Honestly, the Cowboys got lucky with Romo, too--an undrafted Free Agent?). Tom Brady, obviously, is another exception. But think about how many of those QBs fail. Several. Heck, the Giants have already done the low draft pick thing: Remember Ryan Nassib? I am not even sure he is on an active roster right now (I think he is on Jax's Practice Squad). The odds are supposed to work more in your favor if you draft a QB high: DeShaun Watson, first round. Jared Goff, first round. Of course, Carson Wentz, first round.
sometimes you find gems from the smaller schools, and they tend to go later in the draft because they are not as well known s guys like goff and wentz. and its true wentz is doing quite well, goff, not so much. derrick carr went in the second round. but if you look back in history, many of the best quarterbacks went in the later rounds, and some even went undrafted. my point here is that you dont always get the best in the first round, just the biggest name, and maybe the best college players. where is RGlll now? he went in the first round.

Quote:
I think Eli is still a good QB, but I don't know what the past couple of seasons of done to him: An unimaginative offense and play caller, combined with a porous offensive line and zero running game. No QB would thrive under these conditions. Eli could begin to see "ghosts"; I believe even grizzled veterans will start to see them if you keeping getting hit long enough. Manning hasn't had protection in going on 2 years. The running game has lacked being a threat around the same time Ahmad Bradshaw was let go. I would love to see the Giants get a dynamic RB as well, but if there are no holes for him to run through, it simply wont matter.
i tend to agree with this as well, eli is still a good quarterback, which is why the giants would be better off keeping him for now, and building the offense from the line first. a solid offensive line sets the tone for the offense. they open the running lanes, they protect the quarterback in the passing game, hopefully giving him the time to go through his progressions and get the ball to the receivers.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
That would be a mistake With the money that they would have if they got rid of him, they could fill several positions.
I don't know all the details with Eli Manning's contract, but I think if he really wants to stay in New York, he could easily rework his contract to free up money to sign other players, so I don't think that would be a big concern in the grand scheme of things. You know what you have in Eli, you don't know what you'd have with any of the up coming draftees. For some teams, it takes years to find that right quarterback. Before Manning came to town, the Giants went through several faceless quarterbacks, with the exception of Kerry Collins, who did get them to one Super Bowl appearance. But, before Collins, the Giants didn't really have a franchise quarterback unless you go back to the Phil Simms days.

To me, it's kind of like having a car that's got 100,000 miles on it, but it has never been in an accident and you have taken really good care of the car and it runs like it's brand new. It can probably last you, easily, until 200k miles. Like Eli, he can easily last until he's 40 years old. That's about 3 more years that you could have a new QB sitting on the bench and learning behind a two time Super Bowl champion, and 3 years that you can take to rebuild the team. By the time Eli is done, you have a QB who should be ready to start and have a solid team around him to help him succeed. Getting rid of Eli, you then throw that young buck into the fire from the get-go, with a team that needs to be rebuilt around him. You're setting him up for failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football