Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,492,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The Cowboys defense NEVER took the field on Thursday thinking, if we give up a score here... the Redskins take the lead. In fact, the Cowboys defense NEVER took the field in the 2nd half without at least a 2 score lead. Certainly that changes how you call the defense. Not sure how so many fans who think they know a ton about football don't realize this? All i keep hearing is how the Cowboys defense gave up 450 yards passing.. no mention that they gave up only 56 yards rushing.. and controlled the game from kickoff to final gun... lets don't ruin a great talking point.. dumb.. just dumb. When the Cowboys defense start giving up 450 yards passing every week and LOSING.. then we can talk.. otherwise its just bleacher noise.
Whoa there sport. Calm down. Nobody is saying you don't call a defense according to how far ahead you are. I'm just saying there are a lot of factors to consider. How your offense is playing. How successful are you at stopping the opponent's offense. How stout your defense is. Time on the clock, etc... A 12 point lead is nothing in the NFL. I've seen 12 point leads evaporate in absolutely no time in many, many NFL games this year. You don't start calling a vanilla defense, especially just half way through the game, with a 12 point lead unless of two reasons: You have a great offense that controls the clock and knows how to finish drives, and unless you have a thin secondary. Dallas has both. The defensive scheme, right now, is more of a testament to how solid the offense is rather than looking at the score and saying it's a 12 point lead, it's time to just rush the front four and drop back in coverage. Super Bowl winning teams keep the pressure on, because they have the defense to do it. They want that 12 point lead to go to 19, and 26 and so on and so forth. And especially against an offense that is dangerous, like the Redskins offense, it wasn't the best defense to call because the 'skins exploited it.

The difference of opinion comes down to how big you felt the 12 point lead was, and how small I felt it was. When Dallas has had a lead this year, they usually don't lose it, thanks in part to a ball controlled offense that chews up the clock. Likewise, I've see the Redskins down by more than 12 points and easily wipe the lead away quickly, which makes them a dangerous team. At the same time, the Cowboys are great because if they can get a decent size lead, they can start playing ball control on both sides of the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:20 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,677,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Whoa there sport. Calm down. Nobody is saying you don't call a defense according to how far ahead you are. I'm just saying there are a lot of factors to consider. How your offense is playing. How successful are you at stopping the opponent's offense. How stout your defense is. Time on the clock, etc... A 12 point lead is nothing in the NFL. I've seen 12 point leads evaporate in absolutely no time in many, many NFL games this year. You don't start calling a vanilla defense, especially just half way through the game, with a 12 point lead unless of two reasons: You have a great offense that controls the clock and knows how to finish drives, and unless you have a thin secondary. Dallas has both. The defensive scheme, right now, is more of a testament to how solid the offense is rather than looking at the score and saying it's a 12 point lead, it's time to just rush the front four and drop back in coverage. Super Bowl winning teams keep the pressure on, because they have the defense to do it. They want that 12 point lead to go to 19, and 26 and so on and so forth. And especially against an offense that is dangerous, like the Redskins offense, it wasn't the best defense to call because the 'skins exploited it.

The difference of opinion comes down to how big you felt the 12 point lead was, and how small I felt it was. When Dallas has had a lead this year, they usually don't lose it, thanks in part to a ball controlled offense that chews up the clock. Likewise, I've see the Redskins down by more than 12 points and easily wipe the lead away quickly, which makes them a dangerous team. At the same time, the Cowboys are great because if they can get a decent size lead, they can start playing ball control on both sides of the ball.
Fair enough but don't call me SPORT. its very insulting.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,492,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Fair enough but don't call me SPORT. its very insulting.
My apologies. I didn't mean to offend you. Don't exactly like being called "dumb.. just dumb" either. It's quite offensive to me as well. That said, cheers! Congrats on the win.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,677,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
My apologies. I didn't mean to offend you. Don't exactly like being called "dumb.. just dumb" either. It's quite offensive to me as well. That said, cheers! Congrats on the win.
I wasn't calling you dumb... i was noting that forget it..
.. i spend too much time trying to explain stuff..

sorry

Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
a 17-15 win for the cowboys, the vikings have a heck of a defense.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 PM

158 posts, read 74,039 times
Ugly game, but the "W" is still pretty

Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,945,601 times
Default Week 13

This week's result: Cowboys BEAT the Vikings: 17-15

2016 Regular Season Record: (11-1)
2016 Division Record: (3-1)

Next week: @ Giants

Controversy at the end, but (1.) there was no guarantee of the Vikings making the 2 pts. to tie it afterwards, and (2.) had Minnesota got it anyway, there would be no complaints.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 PM

1,281 posts, read 779,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a 17-15 win for the cowboys, the vikings have a heck of a defense.

Yeah every win is not going to be pretty but they pulled it out

Old 12-01-2016, 10:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
both teams did their best to beat themselves. the vikings did a better job in that regard.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 PM

1,281 posts, read 779,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
both teams did their best to beat themselves. the vikings did a better job in that regard.
Game only came down to the wire because of a fumble by dak which is rare.

BTW: That awful dallas defense only gave up one TD tonight and stopped a two point conversion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football