Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 06:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I would be shocked and disappointed if the lost the first playoff game. But if they get pass the divisional game I don't care what happens because the season to me would be a success.
And this STILL Makes no sense. How is a season successful in that scenario? Whatev.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 07:04 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,625,905 times
It makes sense, getting to the playoffs is a success, not getting further is a disappointment, but that doesn't mean the season is a total loss. Look at the teams who never get to the playoffs, that is unsuccessful.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
It makes sense, getting to the playoffs is a success, not getting further is a disappointment, but that doesn't mean the season is a total loss. Look at the teams who never get to the playoffs, that is unsuccessful.
I agree that getting to the playoffs makes the season positive and more enjoyable to watch..but a success? How? Especially if you are 11-1..

You are a Packer fan right? If I said you guys would get to the championship game and lose would you call it a success? You may say it was a good season..but you wouldn't call it a success. There are only 2 successful teams every year.The NFC and AFC champs. Everyone else? A big bucket that will be forgotten.

P.S. Alot of people would say winning the SB is the only thing..I don't agree, I think making the SB is a great accomplishment. I guess its all where you draw the line.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:25 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
And this STILL Makes no sense. How is a season successful in that scenario? Whatev.
EXPECTATIONS.. every fan has them but not every fan has the same expectations.. why would they..
I suppose Patriots fans are expecting to win a Super Bowl.. Bronco fans and Seahawks probably have similar expectations but every other teams fans expectations are probably a bit lower..

When the season started, Cowboy fans expectations were low especially considering they were coming off a 4-12 season and were starting the season with a 4th round Rookie QB under center... Now as the season has progressed, expectations have certainly grown but to say Cowboy fans should EXPECT a Super Bowl title and nothing less is silly... they still have a rookie QB running the show and NO ROOKIE QB has ever led his team to the Super Bowl, NEVER.. why WOULD Cowboy fans EXPECT this now.. sure they can HOPE, but EXPECT and SETTLE for NOTHING LESS? Now that MAKES NO SENSE!

Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Because as a rookie, dak would have achieved something in one season that Romo could not do in 10 years which would completely start a new era.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Exactly, there is no way I can expect a rookie QB to lead the cowboys to a SB win. That would not be fair at all.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
EXPECTATIONS.. every fan has them but not every fan has the same expectations.. why would they..
I suppose Patriots fans are expecting to win a Super Bowl.. Bronco fans and Seahawks probably have similar expectations but every other teams fans expectations are probably a bit lower..

When the season started, Cowboy fans expectations were low especially considering they were coming off a 4-12 season and were starting the season with a 4th round Rookie QB under center... Now as the season has progressed, expectations have certainly grown but to say Cowboy fans should EXPECT a Super Bowl title and nothing less is silly... they still have a rookie QB running the show and NO ROOKIE QB has ever led his team to the Super Bowl, NEVER.. why WOULD Cowboy fans EXPECT this now.. sure they can HOPE, but EXPECT and SETTLE for NOTHING LESS? Now that MAKES NO SENSE!
mco is right, in a sense this season is already a success. the cowboys were not expected to win more than 9 games this season, they have won 11 a this point. do we expect the team to go to the super bowl? no, but it does seem to be the way they are going. until this season, dallas has NEVER won more than 9 games in a row. i expect that the cowboys will make the playoffs this year, and likely they will do it as division champs, and seeded number one or number two. will it happen? probably, but anything can happen.

but lets look at this situation. lets say prescott does what no rookie has ever done before, take his team to the super bowl and win it. what an accomplishment that would be. and lets say the cowboys end up 18-1 in doing this feat. imagine the pressure on the team as a whole, and prescott as an individual, for next season for the cowboys to duplicate the feat. imagine the fans expectations next season, some you can bet will be looking foe the team to 19-0 and win the super bowl again.

will the above scenario happen? only time will tell.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:

I would say you are correct EXCEPT... I doubt any rookie qb has ever had an 11-1 record either. Hey , doesn't matter what the fans expect, it is what its going to be.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:08 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
I would say you are correct EXCEPT... I doubt any rookie qb has ever had an 11-1 record either. Hey , doesn't matter what the fans expect, it is what its going to be.
Please go look at Ben Roethlisbergers rookie season... He was 13-0 during his Rookie season. Tommy Maddox started the other 3 Steeler games. The Steelers finished the season 15-1 but lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Patriots... Despite the playoff loss, Steeler fans, as spoiled as they are to Championships, considered the season a success. GO FIGURE!

Last edited by mco65; 12-03-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Please go look at Ben Roethlisbergers rookie season... He was 13-0 during his Rookie season. Tommy Maddox started the other 3 Steeler games. The Steelers finished the season 15-1 but lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Patriots... Despite the playoff loss, Steeler fans, as spoiled as they are to Championships, considered the season a success. GO FIGURE!

I think the difference in Ben's case the Pats were coming off a SB win the previous season so they were facing a much better team in their first playoff game. Dallas on the otherhand would be playing the skins, bucs, or vikings at home which most would expect them to win. Minnesota and Tampa Bay are not as good on the road and the cowboys know enough about the skins to know what to expect if it's a 3rd matchup. So yes I will have to say I would be crushed if they are not in the NFC championship game. Not so much the case if they lose the NFC championship game or SB because expectations would have already been exceeded.

Lot of cowboys fans are scared of playing the skins for a 3rd time and would prefer to play Tampa Bay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football