Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
"Two drinks makes a musician better, two more makes him worse than sober."

A little bit of alcohol helps clears the tornadoes from my mind (I've got ADHD).

I can't contrast it with pot, as I've never smoked; the smell and the childish way people act when high are repulsive to me.
As opposed to the way people act when they're drunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Edit: The full title/question is supposed to be: Is it accurate to say a marijuana high makes you "more conscious", while being drunk on alcohol makes you "less conscious"?
Yes, definitely.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
I'm finding research evidence that shows that cannabis can make the symptoms of mental illness worse. Researchers say that it can and does trigger or bring on schizophrenia and this I have witnessed (but only once). They say it can bring on depression (and as already stated, make symptoms of depression worse). Research shows that there is a 53% co-morbidity with illicit drug use and mental illness. They are not sure which one causes the other but suggest it goes both ways. That does not sound like cannabis is helping the mentally ill.

Although my son functioned better with cannabis than without I am quite sure the cannabis made his mental illness difficult to treat. One factor cited by researchers is the difficulty in diagnosing mental illness when cannabis (and other) drugs are involved. I view it like using alcohol for its health benefits. Can be done but who can stop at just a few lite beers? My doctor gave up trying to get me to cut down on my beers because my vital signs were so good. Most people call my beer (expletive deleted)!

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-25-2014 at 01:21 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I can't contrast it with pot, as I've never smoked; the smell and the childish way people act when high are repulsive to me.
Heh, the opposite is true for me. I find the fragrance of marijuana to be quite pleasing, and high people are much more fun to hang around with than drunk people. The sight, sound, and especially the smell of a drunk person is one of the most revolting things in the world. It is physically sickening to behold, really.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 AM

I should add that my son initially made an improvement when he first started 'recreational' cannabis use. But within a few months he had his first major breakdown during which he abused the stuff. He spiralled down hill from then on. However, during the last two years of his life he was actually picking up, being able to start working again after several years and was growing in himself. But his lows persisted and finally got him when it was least expected.

Quote:
... and high people are much more fun to hang around with than drunk people.
I might be inclined to agree with that. But not every drinker becomes unfun to be around.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm finding research evidence that shows that cannabis can make the symptoms of mental illness worse. Researchers say that it can and does trigger or bring on schizophrenia and this I have witnessed (but only once). They say it can bring on depression (and as already stated, make symptoms of depression worse). Research shows that there is a 53% co-morbidity with illicit drug use and mental illness. They are not sure which one causes the other but suggest it goes both ways. That does not sound like cannabis is helping the mentally ill.

Although my son functioned better with cannabis than without I am quite sure the cannabis made his mental illness difficult to treat. One factor cited by researchers is the difficulty in diagnosing mental illness when cannabis (and other) drugs are involved. I view it like using alcohol for its health benefits. Can be done but who can stop at just a few lite beers? My doctor gave up trying to get me to cut down on my beers because my vital signs were so good. Most people call my beer (expletive deleted)!
But that would apply also to drinking. The mentally ill (and all of us, really, but more so the mentally ill) need to be very cautious with everything. Drinking, use of prescribed drugs, non-prescribed ones, drinking, etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:

But you said that you took prescription drugs ( something strong for depression) and doubled up on them after he passed and now you are saying you always are drinking beer. You said you were going through some lows when he passed so now you are saying that he died to recreational Cannabis and that puts him in different class? What you are basically saying is, that is no way you could have been there for each other because you are both alike.

You are saying that you have depression, which is close to a mental illness and take prescription drugs with inhibitors and dopamine and are taking these prescription drugs and drink while Denver had mental issues, smoked weed ( that would be his prescription meds, minus the inhibitors and dopamine) and drank occasionally. SO what is the difference? ( besides no inhibitors and dopamine on his part? IE: He thought he was getting dopamine and inhibitors from the pot, when he wasn't getting that at all and it was sending some kind of cross signal?) He was also taking sleep meds but I don't know what he was taking. He was suppose to stop these after 4 weeks, but mixing with pot and liquor.

You were really out of it when he passed, right? Is that the reason for the dream because he had to tell you what happened, because you were at a low period? He was out of it as well, I think.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-25-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
You were really out of it when he passed, right?
I guess you could say so, yes.
Quote:
... that is no way you could have been there for each other because you are both alike.
Good point! I should mention that Denver drank often and a fair amount. It drank to take the edge off his stress and whatever else he felt. Likewise with the cannabis.
Quote:
... now you are saying that he died to recreational Cannabis ...
Not quite. What I'm saying is the recreational cannabis probably helped him initially but when things went pear shaped he started using it heavily. That heavy use of both cannabis and alcohol may have directly influenced the final outcome. I suspect it did. Thing is, all the antidepressants he was put on made him worse. I suspect the ones he was tried on clashed with the cannabis. The negative results he had made him shy away from doctors and medications. In his case I would say the mental illness preceded the drug and alcohol 'overuse'. What I'm suggesting is that the drug abuse made him much worse.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:
I guess you could say so, yes.
Good point! I should mention that Denver drank often and a fair amount. It drank to take the edge off his stress and whatever else he felt. Likewise with the cannabis.
Not quite. What I'm saying is the recreational cannabis probably helped him initially but when things went pear shaped he started using it heavily. That heavy use of both cannabis and alcohol may have directly influenced the final outcome. I suspect it did. Thing is, all the antidepressants he was put on made him worse. I suspect the ones he was tried on clashed with the cannabis. The negative results he had made him shy away from doctors and medications. In his case I would say the mental illness preceded the drug and alcohol 'overuse'. What I'm suggesting is that the drug abuse made him much worse.
Understood, but you are by-passing the drinking because you drink . You are not suppose drink with these drugs because that can cause suicidal thoughts as well. He was on anti-depressants or sleep meds and you say he was drinking heavy, but you are totally focused on the pot, but in denial about the drink. That is a prescription for a major sedative that you don't wake up from as well, minus the pot.

You've got multiple issues with his drink, pot and anti-depressants.. while you are drinking and your anti-depressants are stronger. I don't think his consisted of dopamine or I don't feel like you and him were on the same kind of anti-depressant. Mainly because yours works with the brain chemicals and his was just some quick fix that was suppose to be temporary. Either way, drinking and anti-depressants is mixture for death. That combination alone kills people every day

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-26-2014 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 AM

56 posts, read 178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Edit: The full title/question is supposed to be: Is it accurate to say a marijuana high makes you "more conscious", while being drunk on alcohol makes you "less conscious"?
Everytime I smoked weed, or ate brownies, it was different- depending on the kind.
But it was never a "bad high".

Most times it "opened" my senses; Everything tasted Better, Smelled Stronger, Touch Sensitivity
was Heightened, and my mind seemed to OPEN to the Universe in ways I cannot explain.

One has to try it themselves to understand; and even then, I believe that people are so
unique, that their experiences can NEVER be completely the same.

Other times, the weed made me giddy and laugh, and very 'active', and not so much
"high".

When I was a drunk, the alcohol made me lose touch with reality,
and I didn't think of consequences; I'd do or say ANYTHING, and would get myself
into TONS of trouble.
The more I drank, the less control I had; my senses were "dumbed" ; things were a Blurr.
I guess you could say I'd lose control of my vision, lose control of my hand-eye coordination,
lose control of my equalibrium (walking, etc..) and lose control of my bodily functions.
I would slobber like crazy, and I semi-crapped my pants. :/
but didn't know it until I woke up in a room filled with strangers
who also passed-out.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd say Cannabis is the better choice.

Yet... Alcohol is legal. Why? Maybe because it's a liquid drug that everyone wants.
And law enforcement makes billions from arresting people.
And it keeps emergency rooms busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology