Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM

71 posts, read 99,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
Unfortunately that's as good as it gets with a 6121 out of the box. You'll have to do some digging to see if it's possible with TWC's provisioning to get around this.
go to TWC approved modem site, it clearly shows which modems you need to get what speeds. if you are leasing a modem from twc, they will give you the proper modem. if you own your own modem, like sb6121, you're be limited in speed you can get; 30/5 is RR extreme, which is now 200/30, however with TWC they require you to have the sb6183.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...our-modem.html

http://www.timewarnercable.com/conte...ovedmodems.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:24 PM

386 posts, read 437,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrick View Post
I'm on the TWC "Standard Internet" 15/1 plan in Cary (27511) and I was getting around 17/1 but after power cycling the modem and router last night, I started getting about 60/5. We'll see if it sticks.
same exact scenario for me here in 27513. Just downloaded a bunch of podcasts and it was nice to see how quickly they dropped in.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:44 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm View Post
Not yet. Waiting patiently...
I just checked my IM to TWC about the date for 27519.
"I see that we are set to start upgrades for 11/3/15"

I hope that does not mean it will be another week or two.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:46 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,081,580 times
I've posted this before, but might be worth repeating. You cannot add a new under speed modem to a TW Internet line because the provisioning systems only allow approved modems that meet or exceed the Internet speed that the circuit is operating at.
If you have a modem working today and TW upgrades your line everything will be fine as the modem is already provisioned. The modem channel count supported by the modem (not the modem manufacturer's bandwidth rating) will ultimately limit your throughput but it will work. As an example, if you have a 6121 and your circuit gets bumped to 100/10 it will still work, only at reduced throughput because the 6121 is a four channel modem spec'd to 50 Mbps in TW land.
If you have to replace that modem for some reason, you will need a modem on the approved TW list that matches the new speed of your line. So, counter intuitively, you sometimes can't replace a 6121 with a 6121 due to the "free" bandwidth upgrade. You can, of course, then choose to downgrade your circuit to match the modem speed subject to whatever bundle you may break.

Frank

Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 7,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Are you folks doing a reboot by disconnecting power for a minute or so, or are you accessing the modem manager and rebooting with software commands?

Still seeing crappy download times in 27519 but occasional uploads of > 10M. I'm currently on the 2M upload plan.
I rebooted by disconnecting power. I'm getting very similar results. Pre-reboot, I was getting 36/6 like I have been for months. After reboot, I started getting 10/10 (using multiple test servers). I wish I could un-reboot. I'm on the 200/20 tier in 27502 with a SB6141. I know I won't be getting 200 down but I thought I'd be closer to 100.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I've posted this before, but might be worth repeating. You cannot add a new under speed modem to a TW Internet line because the provisioning systems only allow approved modems that meet or exceed the Internet speed that the circuit is operating at.
If you have a modem working today and TW upgrades your line everything will be fine as the modem is already provisioned. The modem channel count supported by the modem (not the modem manufacturer's bandwidth rating) will ultimately limit your throughput but it will work. As an example, if you have a 6121 and your circuit gets bumped to 100/10 it will still work, only at reduced throughput because the 6121 is a four channel modem spec'd to 50 Mbps in TW land.
If you have to replace that modem for some reason, you will need a modem on the approved TW list that matches the new speed of your line. So, counter intuitively, you sometimes can't replace a 6121 with a 6121 due to the "free" bandwidth upgrade. You can, of course, then choose to downgrade your circuit to match the modem speed subject to whatever bundle you may break.

Frank
Yeah, I somehow assumed I would get 50/10 with the 6121. At this point I'm not too concerned about the difference between the 60 Meg down I'm getting and the 100 I could get, but the jump from 6 to 10 upload is more useful in my experience.

I'll probably just downgrade and save a few bucks a month.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:52 PM

166 posts, read 419,201 times
I noticed last night that I was getting the upgraded download speeds with most of my computers, but one of my desktop computers seemed to be throttled to under 5mbps and sometimes went as low as 1mbps. Rebooting didn't help so I went to the website of the company that makes my motherboard's onboard LAN chip (Realtek) and I downloaded the latest LAN drivers. Then I went into device manager and deleted my LAN device, then re-installed it using the new driver package that I downloaded. Now I'm getting the full download speed. I have no idea what the problem was, but the issue was with my computer and the LAN device reinstall fixed it.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:02 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,933 times
So now that everyone is rehashing the speed limits per modem model, we should probably mention again that you shouldn't be testing your speeds on WiFi.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:04 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Sure wish I had the paperwork, and my login, for my router. LOL and

Old 11-03-2015, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I just checked my IM to TWC about the date for 27519.
"I see that we are set to start upgrades for 11/3/15"

I hope that does not mean it will be another week or two.
The way that's phrased does not inspire confidence. Not surprised, but I'm happy for those that did get the upgrade today. Google Fiber can't come fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary