Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times

Advertisements

I saw this on another website a long time ago...funny how much Raleigh has changed. Only people that have been here from 15-20 years would even understand most of the jokes hehe...

You enjoy the thrill of taking Glenwood Ave. towards downtown because it's a hill.

You regarded the closing of the Hillsborough St. McDonald's like the loss of a family member.

You can name a total of 2 stores in North Hills mall. Oh wait, that one closed. You can name one.

When you see Boomhauer on "King of the Hill," you can't help but think of your friend from Garner.

The only thing you see more than SUVs on the beltline are those ugly G105 stickers.

You felt more than a mere glimmer of pride watching that Petey Pablo video on MTV.

You've ever said, with a straight face, "Floyd tore up our yard and Fran knocked a tree onto our house."

Every sunday your pastor makes a joke about the rivalry between State and Carolina, and everyone still laughs.

You have fantasized about driving an army tank through Cary.

Every time you drive past that little green building on Blue Ridge, you can't help but think, "Just what in the heck is THE HAVEN?"

Natural law dictates that one and only one word can complete the phrase "Meeker for..." and you know exactly what that word is.

You warn out-of-towners not to ask about the little reflective Eiffel Tower on Capital Blvd.

You think dialing 10 numbers instead of 7 should be against the law.

You use I-540 just to escape traffic on 40.

You were upset when all the signs on the Beltline were changed to "Inner" and "Outer" because it took you 5 years to figure out the old system.

You've taken more than 3 field trips to Poe Health Center.

North Raleigh is a completely different universe.

You know that when your parents say "It's within walking distance," they're lying.

You think you were around when Bob and Madison started the Showgram.

That having been said, you miss Mike.

You know at least 20 people that work in RTP - and you know exactly what that stands for.

To be adventurous you go to Cary Towne Center.

You still don't understand the Maynard Road loop.

You can find anything using 3 roads: Six Forks, Capital, and Hillsborough St.

You've gone to see James Taylor in more than 3 arenas.

You've had fantasies about writing the DOT an angry letter, but decided you'd rather just keep drinking.

When you heard that Jimi Hendrix played at the Civic Center, you can only say, "why?"

You think that someone who knows a back way to the Mall is a genius, and there's no question in your mind as to what that mall is.

You're glad and relieved that Jesse Helms is no longer running.

You're scared of downtown at night.

You've tried to count the number of law enforcement organizations only to have a new one invented the next day.

They still aren't as bad as Cary Cops.

There are places where you know something exists, but you never have, and never will, actually go there.

You wonder why Cameron Village isn't named "Cary Jr."

You have gone to the top of the circular hotel downtown and will call it the Holiday Inn no matter what the sign says.

Right before a hurricane or snow you put CP&L on your speed dial, knowing you'll call them 10 times in the next week.

You aren't really even sure what CP& L's new name is.

By the time you finish reading this sentence, the other store in North Hills mall has closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 03:45 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I saw this on another website a long time ago...funny how much Raleigh has changed. Only people that have been here from 15-20 years would even understand most of the jokes hehe...

You enjoy the thrill of taking Glenwood Ave. towards downtown because it's a hill.

You regarded the closing of the Hillsborough St. McDonald's like the loss of a family member.

You can name a total of 2 stores in North Hills mall. Oh wait, that one closed. You can name one.

When you see Boomhauer on "King of the Hill," you can't help but think of your friend from Garner.

The only thing you see more than SUVs on the beltline are those ugly G105 stickers.

You felt more than a mere glimmer of pride watching that Petey Pablo video on MTV.

You've ever said, with a straight face, "Floyd tore up our yard and Fran knocked a tree onto our house."

Every sunday your pastor makes a joke about the rivalry between State and Carolina, and everyone still laughs.

You have fantasized about driving an army tank through Cary.

Every time you drive past that little green building on Blue Ridge, you can't help but think, "Just what in the heck is THE HAVEN?"

Natural law dictates that one and only one word can complete the phrase "Meeker for..." and you know exactly what that word is.

You warn out-of-towners not to ask about the little reflective Eiffel Tower on Capital Blvd.

You think dialing 10 numbers instead of 7 should be against the law.

You use I-540 just to escape traffic on 40.

You were upset when all the signs on the Beltline were changed to "Inner" and "Outer" because it took you 5 years to figure out the old system.

You've taken more than 3 field trips to Poe Health Center.

North Raleigh is a completely different universe.

You know that when your parents say "It's within walking distance," they're lying.

You think you were around when Bob and Madison started the Showgram.

That having been said, you miss Mike.

You know at least 20 people that work in RTP - and you know exactly what that stands for.

To be adventurous you go to Cary Towne Center.

You still don't understand the Maynard Road loop.

You can find anything using 3 roads: Six Forks, Capital, and Hillsborough St.

You've gone to see James Taylor in more than 3 arenas.

You've had fantasies about writing the DOT an angry letter, but decided you'd rather just keep drinking.

When you heard that Jimi Hendrix played at the Civic Center, you can only say, "why?"

You think that someone who knows a back way to the Mall is a genius, and there's no question in your mind as to what that mall is.

You're glad and relieved that Jesse Helms is no longer running.

You're scared of downtown at night.

You've tried to count the number of law enforcement organizations only to have a new one invented the next day.

They still aren't as bad as Cary Cops.

There are places where you know something exists, but you never have, and never will, actually go there.

You wonder why Cameron Village isn't named "Cary Jr."

You have gone to the top of the circular hotel downtown and will call it the Holiday Inn no matter what the sign says.

Right before a hurricane or snow you put CP&L on your speed dial, knowing you'll call them 10 times in the next week.

You aren't really even sure what CP& L's new name is.

By the time you finish reading this sentence, the other store in North Hills mall has closed.
Funny.. we were downtown last weekend and passed by the "circular hotel" downtown and actually referred to it as The Holiday Inn !! What is it now?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:46 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
It' a Clarion now I think. Growing up we called it the "hot curler hotel".

Old 02-24-2008, 03:51 PM

For some reason I thought that place had a restaurant at the top that spins...really slowly of course, but maybe I'm going crazy. I still call it the Holiday Inn.

Anyone willing to add to the list? I think it would be fun!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:51 PM

Who else remembers when civilization as we know it pretty much ended at Strickland and Falls of Neuse? When it was still a two lane road and very "country?"

Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Me! My parents house is off of Lynn Road and they got in around 1984...they said just before that Lynn was a dirt road! They said Lynn and Spring Forest roads weren't even connected! It was all woods and farmland from the Sixforks intersection to Falls of Neuse! Maybe thats how it was from Wake Forest and Falls of Neuse Rd too? Remember when there was no mid-town? I still consider N. Hills and Crabtree N. Raleigh b/c it is North of the beltline hehe.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM

There used to be a big old junkyard near the corner of Six Forks Road and Strickland.. my husband said it was practically a day trip to drive out there.. to "the sticks" as he called it.

Same with Creedmoor Road and Strickland and all points North.. that's where you went to learn how to drive.

Neighborhoods like Wood Valley, Springdale Gardens and Estates.. very isolated. Beautiful lots, mature trees - before the days of national builders and clear cutting.

We know people who moved "out to Stonehenge" b/c they couldn't afford anything else. They paid $75,000 for a home that is easily now worth $350,000.. maybe more..

..memories...

Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
For some reason I thought that place had a restaurant at the top that spins...really slowly of course, but maybe I'm going crazy. I still call it the Holiday Inn.

Anyone willing to add to the list? I think it would be fun!
It did used to spin, it no longer does. They still do have a very nice, upscale restaurant and bar on top though with a fabulous view.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It did used to spin, it no longer does. They still do have a very nice, upscale restaurant and bar on top though with a fabulous view.
I remember going there once for a drink.. I was in college.. maybe around 1985. We felt so grown up... 21 and able to order liquor, LOL.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM

I was a student at NCSU when the McDonalds opened. It was always busy - what happened? What is there now? I believe many years ago the building had a very seedy reputation. Went to eat at Two Guys a few weeks ago - theie prices have really gone up, they're remodeled some, and they still try to get you to sit in the back !! We like Gitannos better !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary