Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 08:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is this new pizza place fancy millennial type pizza on little tiny flatbreads with weird toppings and sauces, or normal person pizza?

You have links with pictures. The post right above says "$5 per SLICE" and you have the name of the company if you wanted to look them up on Yelp or google them.

A rather "millennial move" to ask questions that you have the answers to already. I'm guessing you want the fancy option.

(Kidding, sort of...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You have links with pictures. The post right above says "$5 per SLICE" and you have the name of the company if you wanted to look them up on Yelp or google them.

A rather "millennial move" to ask questions that you have the answers to already. I'm guessing you want the fancy option.

(Kidding, sort of...)
Yeah I didn't look, I figured I'd crack a joke and try to lighten the mood on a Monday. Wrong choice apparently!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Yeah I didn't look, I figured I'd crack a joke and try to lighten the mood on a Monday. Wrong choice apparently!
Nothing is ever funny before Tuesday.

(House rule implemented by my wife. If I think something is funny, and it's before 9AM, it's not....)

To answer your question, I don't know, but based on my experience of almost 10 years and 600 miles ago, I would say:

Real pizza
Real Good
Real Expensive

Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
I'm looking forward to Di Fara. Will be great to order some slices or a whole pizza and walk across to Pharmacy. NOT a fan of the pizza at Falusi, although dig their sister restaurant, Big Dom's Bagels. The only IML pizza we've really been enjoying is over at Alex and Teresa's, on Maynard.

Somewhat surprised that the shopping center where this is going in is just getting big renovations and not getting torn down and replaced with something a few stories tall with first floor businesses. Glad to see Taipei 101 is staying (but, jeez, get your act together on sanitation).

Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Yeah, it's certainly a prime site for a more substantial redevelopment. Develop the Chatham streetwall to further activate the pedestrian environment, with parking behind and/or under off Cedar.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,992,219 times
Couple of updates on major downtown Cary projects in this week's mayor's blog.

https://carycitizen.com/2019/10/28/h...ents-and-more/

First, things moving ahead with the mixed-use project at Chatham and Harrison. Public hearing on November 21, and then First Baptist Church congregation will vote in December-January.

Still concerns about what happens with the Ivey-Ellington house. Proposal still calls for it to be moved, but looks like still debating whether it would be appropriate to rotate it and hide it away a bit on the project site. New suggestion from staff that it could be moved to the old library site. That would certainly give it some great visibility, but depending on whether anything else accompanies it there, could end up being significant underutilization of that property.

Second, some details and renderings on the mixed-use project intended for the southern part of the park parcel, wrapping the new parking deck on three sides. First floor retail on all three sides, 100K square feet of office on upper floors facing Walnut, and residential facing the park, Walker, and some on Walnut. Public hearing on December 12 and construction could start next year if things move forward in a timely fashion.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,774,315 times
Wonder how the construction will affect access to the deck and park? A shame they couldn’t do this all at once

Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 AM

281 posts, read 187,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Wonder how the construction will affect access to the deck and park? A shame they couldn’t do this all at once
yeah, but the town is only building the library and parking. the other buildings are private like office/retail and condo/apartment. Probably no way to do it but to wait for it to be open so they don't get in each other's way; and not big enough of a project to do a P3 (public private partnership)

Old 10-30-2019, 02:35 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The deck is built with a concrete chute/tunnel entrance that spans the distance of the future building, so the access can pretty easily continue to be used.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
The town of Cary has done a great job of seeing the “larger picture” with the whole downtown park area, rather than just looking at it on a project-by-project basis. It’s really coming together nicely, and I’m excited about what “Academy Park” can bring to the table. I hope that they can continue this encouraging trend.

On that note, I have sent the following suggested approach for the Old Library redevelopment to the Mayor and several staff at the Town of Cary for the old library:

1. Tear down the old library and, instead of issuing a RFP for that site, build a new community center in its place.
2. Close and demolish the Herbert C. Young community center at N. Academey St and Chapel Hill Road
3. Issue an RFP for redevelopment of the Herbert C. Young Community Center site, instead of the old library.

The Herbert C. Young community center is 30 years old – never renovated, small, and frankly tired. It’s 10 years newer than the old library, but like the old library near the end, one only has to step in the door to see that the Town has outgrown it – the facility is in need of a major renovation, expansion, or replacement pretty soon. The center also does not complement its downtown context well – it’s set way back from the street behind landscaping and berms, and faces its parking lot. That may have seemed like the right thing to do in 1989 – but in 2019, it just seems … off. Not representative of the Town’s vision for downtown.

Putting a large-scale mixed use development on the old library site on S Academy Street would also be difficult, in my estimation – perhaps entirely un feasible. There will probably be opposition to anything larger in scale to the Mayton Inn, and that’s a difficult scale to develop profitably, which will both restrict what can be done with the site and also the amount of revenue the town can realize from a transaction with a developer. Transportation is also an issue – the site is only accessible from South Academy street, which could easily become a bottleneck. It’s a quarter mile from the train station which is walking distance but it feels long-ish. The area is already becoming more active and popular and the Academy Park development will keep the momentum going, so doubling down with another commercial development on this site seems less necessary to me.

On the other hand, a new, larger, more modern community center would be a slam dunk on that site. It complements the cultural/recreational/arts district down by the park, and could be designed to blend in with its context easily. If retail is desired, a space for a cafe could be incorporated on the ground floor of the community center, like the BREW coffee bar attached to the Cary Theater.

In contrast with the Library site, a larger-scale mixed use developent at the corner of N. Academy St and Chapel Hill Road (Herbert C Young Community Center site) would be very feasible. Transportation is less of an issue there, with nearby major roads (Chapel Hill Road and North Harrison) providing direct access to/from the whole region, and it is about half as far from the train station where buses connect (eventually, commuter rail and BRT too). It will serve to ‘wake up’ a forgotten/neglected corner of Downtown Cary and expand what has become a burgeoning district on the south side of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary