Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The proposal mention bonds to pay for this. I am guessing this would mean a new bond referendum, not sucking up most (all?) of the funds from the 2019 parks bond?

I am not quite sure about your statement of $35.5 million outside support with everything else coming from the town. $157.5 million is an enormous amount for the residents of Cary to bear, for what is supposed to be a regional facility.

I see in the proposal that the town has explicitly promised $82.5 million of its own money. The remaining $110.5 million is listed as "Town of Cary with Interlocal Support". Not sure what that means, I hope it means some other county-level funding eg. from the Wake County Parks and Recreation's facilities budget is on the table.
In the proposal they mention Wake County.(bold is mine)

"Cary is exploring the potential for this facility through Wake County’s request for proposal process. In January 2020, Cary responded to Wake County’s Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the Wake County Hospitality Tax Grant to help pay for the new multi-purpose indoor sports center. Announcement of the $35 million grant recipient will take place in February/March 2020."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
I don't know where all of the money is coming from. Wake will contribute $35 million (a portion of the "Town of Cary and Interlocal Support" segment), and Cary is responsible for the remaining $158 million. They talk about being in "initial discussions with corporate entities that have expressed interest in supporting the project in the form of naming rights or other contributions." Presumably Epic is interested in supporting the e-gaming component of the facility; not sure who else.

But yes, Cary is planning to issue a bond for much of it, and it would have to be a new one, since the projects in the current bonds have already been outlined. The budget shows it operating at a small annual loss, and that's not even accounting for paying off the construction bond, so....

Old 03-08-2020, 07:53 PM

Looks like the Mayton Inn might be acquired out of bankruptcy by a group led by Bill Zahn for $8.1 million. He's also behind the plans to wrap the new parking deck with mixed-use.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-about-to.html

Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 AM

812 posts, read 832,658 times
I knew my family weren't the only ones who had an issue with a lack of accessible book return at the new library -despite a library staff member rolling her eyes at me when I mentioned that returning books to the new library was such a pain that we have been using the library less; her reply was something like "well, we are actually busier than ever". I mean, we have to park in deck, drag kids/toddlers through dangerously busy deck (tight, dark, cars backing up and buzzing around corners), across uncovered skywalk in rain to the main library building to return books..... and back. Old library (RIP) had a drive-thru drop off "box" detached from the building.... and it was super convenient (tear). First world problems... I know.

Per Mayor's Blog in The Cary Citizen.

Book Drop-Off Complaints Addressed
The council and staff have been getting numerous complaints about not having a book drop-off at the Cary downtown library maintained by Wake County. Here is one of the staff’s response to those concerns:

“… Wake County is considering how to best address the comments they have received about the book drop. I’m sure we can expect to see some changes soon. Our contact with Wake County is Mark Forestieri, their Director of Facilities Design & Construction. While we have not heard yet how they want to approach a new book drop arrangement, he will be staying in touch with us when the time comes. If you wish to contact him directly in the meantime (probably a good idea so he can hear from our citizens directly) he can be reached at mforestieri@wakegov.com or 919-856-6356. …”

Hopefully, this issue will be resolved soon.

https://carycitizen.news/2020/03/01/...nsus-and-more/

Old 12-14-2020, 04:44 AM

812 posts, read 832,658 times
A nice article about DT Cary and the Christmas season. We have driven through at night a couple times recently and it is very pretty; almost straight out of a Hallmark Christmas Movie -if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.wral.com/downtown-cary-c...erns/19426001/

Old 12-14-2020, 06:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
A nice article about DT Cary and the Christmas season. We have driven through at night a couple times recently and it is very pretty; almost straight out of a Hallmark Christmas Movie -if you are into that sort of thing.

https://www.wral.com/downtown-cary-c...erns/19426001/
Definitely love this idea. A buddy of mine and I ride our bikes on Tuesday night (we have lights, reflective gear, flashers, etc...), and stop for a refreshing beverage in DT Cary near the end. A favorite part is riding down Academy Street to see the animals, and then through the neighborhoods to see lights, on the way home. Really great to see on a cold night, on a bike.

Last edited by Myghost; 12-14-2020 at 06:28 AM..

Old 12-14-2020, 11:41 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
By the way, the new coffee shop (where the monogram place was) opens this week, and Di Fara Pizza is now hiring with an opening soon. Pretty excited to have both. Sad to see Postmaster not make it, but that was never going to be a place in my regular rotation.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:34 PM

Is Postmaster dead dead? They posted on Instagram a few weeks ago that big things were coming soon.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:27 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Is Postmaster dead dead? They posted on Instagram a few weeks ago that big things were coming soon.
Interesting. Where I saw about it closing was from a downtown Cary group on Facebook that was talking about the Govt Cheeseburger guys moving to Foundation in Raleigh.
It said: “My son and his sues [sic] chef are opening Fine Folk. They are the crew, but not the owners of Postmaster and it's building. My son came up with the concept of Gov't Cheeseburger to stay "alive" during the pandemic. The owner has decided to shut down, so my son is moving on to Foundation Bar in downtown Raleigh.”

Old 12-14-2020, 02:30 PM

Hm, so maybe Postmaster's owner is just looking to go in a different direction with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary