Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:20 PM

40 posts, read 101,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I signed up with plenty of fish about a week ago and I'm not sure about it so far.

Here is what I have seen so far: (I am describing it dispassionately and not saying if they are good or bad things.)
Keep in mind my search is generally aimed in the 30-45ish range and I am 38.
1. It is packed with divorced single moms (not surprising for the age range.)
2. The majority of women are significantly overweight. Not talking curvy or 20lbs over but more like >50lbs.
3. Gals that are "in shape" have been added to dozens and dozens of favorites lists. One gal's profile had her on like 150 favorites lists and even gals that are pleasant looking but not bombshells have 20+ on favorites lists.
4. The stats say that the 75% of the contacts are made by men on the site.

So basically, I think that if you are a female in ok shape for your age, you will do quite well on PlentyofFish but that so far it looks like a tough place to go for guys as pretty much anyone you send of message to will be getting tons of them and you won't be likely to be getting messages from the girls you are interested in so prepare to send a lot of messages and not get many replies if you are a guy.

Oh well, thats my take on plentyoffish. Best of luck to all of you.
Yes the two women I met had kids and a deadbeat daddy, and most of them dont reply to you, even if you say the most caring, sweet thing ever, but they wanna go on about "looking for a man without the games" its actually funny to me now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,451 times
One thing I noticed is that there are a lot of guys who say they are looking for one thing, but what they really want is a whole other. My observation is that most are either looking for a one-nighter or they're so incredibly shy, they can't possibly get a date elsewhere.

I signed up only to catch an old boyfriend cheating. Incidentally, I did catch him and it was a hoot! Boy was he mad! (patting self on the back) After dating for a year, someone clued me into his online profile. I had suspected something was up but never knew for sure. I looked and there he was, so I took full advantage of it and portrayed myself as someone else. He instantly winked and asked me out. Dang that was fun faxing over our email messages from my alter ego. I just wish I could've been a fly on the wall when he read them.

Then I figured as long as I'm on there.......well I bet I received 40 dates. I couldn't keep up and believe me, that's not me. I don't like the dating game, I'm too old for that. But it was fun while it lasted.

Probably 99% were no-brainers, dump them. But I did make a couple of nice friends and we keep in touch. There are many who have met life time romances on internet dating sites. It's probably not for me. But it could be for you.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 AM

42 posts, read 140,973 times
yer i mey a girl on a dateing site from my home toan ot turn out to be my brother poseing as a female i payed him back thow i rang the cops on him and told them he had drugs and illegale firearms at this house they raided him and locked him up paybacks grit isent it ilmao

Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Dating sites are more of a ripoff for guys more than women.
If you had bad results with that first one you should have just tried other ones. Heck I was registered on many of them years ago.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
I hate match.com - total waste of money I was there 2 times, got in because of major price discounts. No girl hit on me, and I'm good looking enough. And they sent fake emails to me saying someone was interested in me. I've not been there a year and my profile is still there.

Craigslist - I tried some ads, and mostly got junk saying I had to join a site to access them further. Then I posted an ad for myself and get spam too for junk to join a site. And then I'm prettier than most women there when I'm in drag.

My hopes for meeting a good woman is during shopping or cruising the big Mall in town. I'm not a bar person!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I am really thinking these Internet personal sites are a big rip off and use deceptive business practices. They seemed okay a few years ago but these last two times I've tried (over the last four years), I have my doubts about their integrity. For instance, you can't read any emails or winks until you pay so when I posted an ad and got a response, I paid. Only it was some very strange person (this last time it was a woman who wanted to get together with other women to complain about the men!) Man, that made me mad. I paid for that! Since I only get winks from men 3,000 miles (or more) away and these very odd ones I'm beginning to think match.com sends them to keep people paying but they are so weird and so distant no one bothers responding. I always respond with at least a no thank you but I never hear back from anyone I wrote or winked at.

This is the second time I fell for it. I went and paid for three months this time and because I know people that have met people thru this medium, I don't want to take it down (okay and maybe pure stubborness I paid for it so I want to have some fun. So I wrote a long rambling email because I don't really believe anyone actually reads them but match won't post it. They sent a rule list which doesn't appear to fit anything I wrote. I think they didn't like that I said I wasted my money that could have been spent on six dance lessons instead. Certainly no freedom of speech on that site if that was why they wouldn't post it. We need to come up with a better site for single people to talk to each other. No talking going on at those sites that is for sure.

Are there real people working at that place? My account also shows I got a wink but I can't access it and when I wrote customer service all I got back was a form letter not telling me anything. They are screwed up because it says I have to subscribe to access it but I did subscribe. Makes my belief they send this stuff so people pay when in reality no one real is sending the emails or winks and maybe half the ads aren't real either. Anyone else have this experience? I want one of those grumpy people stomping off my page This is the last time I try this medium. I think it has outworn it's use, especially for my age group (54.) There are to be studies on this stuff--going to look.
You must be off your rocker. I'm 52, been using match for meeting people for 3 years, and ended up in a very long term relationship with someone I met there. Of course you have to pay for it...it's a BUSINESS. Hellooooo?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I hate match.com - total waste of money I was there 2 times, got in because of major price discounts. No girl hit on me, and I'm good looking enough. And they sent fake emails to me saying someone was interested in me. I've not been there a year and my profile is still there.

Craigslist - I tried some ads, and mostly got junk saying I had to join a site to access them further. Then I posted an ad for myself and get spam too for junk to join a site. And then I'm prettier than most women there when I'm in drag.

My hopes for meeting a good woman is during shopping or cruising the big Mall in town. I'm not a bar person!
Yea I think alot of the 'major' websites like Match are going to be more expensive(someone's got to pay for all those cutesie commercials)

With craigslist I've been hearing better things lately,except when I tried it. I got like 2 replies asking what I was looking for and then never heard from them again. But that's just always been my luck,never got much of a response even when I had ads on multiple sites.

I agree that meeting women in public may be something now that I'm older,I never understood it when I was in my 20s how people could meet in a supermarket. We always just went to clubs. Although lately stores like Wegmans have been looking more like meeting places than ever before.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
im going to say... online dating isn't a waste of time. You have to keep with it to find someone. I have horrible people skills and don't have time to learn them. If im not working, im doing school work, if im not doing that im eating or sleeping.

It took me many years on and off online sites to find her. I've also moved several times to find her.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
Default How right you are, but only of American Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertily View Post
The quality of online dating sites has steadily decreased over the years because they are becoming so commonplace and I feel people are less patient. I have used yahoo, match and a feel minor ones and there seems to be a common thread with so many women. It seems to defy logic and rationality in how they think and behave. So many women do not attempt to communicate or form an opinion without any information. One of the stupidest things a person can do is make a decision or form an opinion without information. I have met and corresponded with some nice women and made a few friends along the way, however overwhelmingly it seems women do not communicate. Either that or they are not honest in their profiles.
Just as background, I have always completely read a woman's profile before replying. I am an educated man with an advanced degree and my profile is grammatically correct, well written, interesting and not too long nor too short. I accompany them with good photographs. Needless to say, I write good, humorous and respectful messages to women. Some reply but do not carry forth the communication, others do not reply back. I only write to women near my age and am not demanding or insinuating. What blows my mind is I see so many women write in their profile they are looking for a man who is adventurous, kind, intelligent, spiritual, sense of humor, etc, etc. They list all these good character traits they seek, but here is the rub - when a guy like me who possesses all those things write to them, they do not correspond back! To me, that seems as irrational as complaining you are extremely hungry but refusing to accept edible food offered to you. Not to sound pessimistic, but I am doubting there are any rational women anymore. It is one thing if people meet and do not click. That is why it is called dating. It is another though not to at least explore things to the point where you at least have sufficient information.
I have also heard it said that women get deluged with messages from men and that most are just seeking sex, or poorly written, etc. For fun I once investigated this by creating a fake woman's ad on a dating site. I made her out to be a typical, average woman in many aspects. True, within a day or so "Debbie" got a lot of messages from men. However, the majority were well written and from decent sounding men. So I am skeptical that all women get are messages from losers or drivel.
I have rejected women who have written to me, but I have only done so after learning enough about her to conclusively know we were not compatible. I believe it is impossible for someone to reach that conclusion from just reading their profile and seeing a photo.
My belief is that people who use online dating, especially women, have become like kids in a candy store. In the old days a person had no choice but to get to know someone as things unfolded over time. This put conversations and everything in context and you learned about the person. With online dating it is too easy to read a profile and conjecture what that person is like then make uninformed decisions that are likely wrong.
One of the most profound things though is how a lot of women want to 'feel' a connection with a man from his profile before communicating. Think how ludicrous it is to expect a man to write a profile that covers all angles - explaining who he is, what he is looking for, creating interest, establishing common interests - in one or two paragraphs? Do you want him to excite all your senses, create world peace and make social security solvent as well? The lesson is if person has an intelligent and well constructed profile and states qualities and interests that you both share, then this is someone to at least attempt to get to know. The mistake is intoning, imagining or inferring more about the person and then writing him/her off based on that. That would be ignorant and misguided.
I am not mr. Nasty about all this and remain optimistic but feel the old fasioned way of meeting people is the better means. I abide by that old parable of the boy who keeps shoveling thru the pile of manure - "there must be a pony in there somewhere".
Best to you all
I'm an airline pilot that travels the world & know different society's. Only in America are the woman like described above. I go to the phillipines, Finland, Russia, South America & they are all very happy to meet & have great fun with an American man. I try to date locally & all the above immature things happen. Sorry but goodbye to my own american woman.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I found my girlfriend on a FREE dating site. In 2006. There are a few of those out there. I don't think I want to PAY to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships