Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuous1 View Post
Too many so called nice guys are either nice until they get what they want or realize they AREN'T getting what they want. Either that, or the term is falsely applied to the doormat types. You can be a nice guy and still command respect from people.
So, is that because women need a convenient label even if it is wrong? What do you suggest would be a better label for nice guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I have always wondered about the phrase "playing hard to get." If somebody is doing it on purpose because their buddy told them that was the secret to getting girls, then, IMO, that is B.S.

But if somebody is just trying to get to know my character better before showing any signs of attraction, then I would not consider this B.S but rather smart.
ya, I've never played hard to get. If I want someone, they will know! If I'm iffy, I get to know them more before, like you said, before I show any signs of attraction as I'm not in the business of leading someone on because I couldn't make up my mind. thats unfair.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
noooo...bad boys are too much of a challenge. You have to make them love you and beg for their affection, no thank you! I like myself too much to tolerate that b.s.
What if it is easier to get return privileges from them? Isn't that part of the battle over "dating"? Or, are you claiming the challenge part is that they are willing to be bad boys with all the other girls?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
What if it is easier to get return privileges from them? Isn't that part of the battle over "dating"? Or, are you claiming the challenge part is that they are willing to be bad boys with all the other girls?
The challenge is, I'm just another ex girlfriend to them. no thanks. if he doesn't value me, then why should I value him long enough to tolerate that fickleness?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I can only speak for myself and my experience in this. I did not know what it meant to be treated nicely or attentively nor did I know how to do it myself.

A boyfriend treated me nicely and I did not know how to return it, even felt embarrassed for him that he wasn't "macho" enough. I felt right at home with jerks because I could return the treatment quite well.
It may have been situational. Some nice guys don't want to resort to physical force with the weaker sex if their safety doesn't require it. I don't mind banter and I know I can usually win an argument with wo-men.

Did you consider simply asking for more of what you want?

Consider that lying to a nice guy for a relationship can be considered worse than a nice guy lying to a woman for sex. Conversely, am I really a nice guy if I cannot handle the truth from a woman, even if she comes up to me and asks if she can put her scent on me for future reference. Nice guys should not need to resort to single syllables if they are paying nice guy dues.

Last edited by danielpalos; 01-06-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Potato View Post
She wouldn't necessarily WANT to bust the b*alls of a guys she cares about and loves. You're confusing what John said - it's not that his fiance would choose to treat him that way, or that any woman would do so, it's that she wants someone who stands up for himself and isn't a pushover. I know personally I don't want the response to my questions to always be "whatever you want dear." Have an opinion.

Not wanting a doormat and busting b*lls are completely separate ideas. I want the former, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll automatically DO the latter.
It is interesting you have that perspective since many bad boys like some women simply because they are push overs more automatically for them.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Almost any reasonable woman can land a nice guy. That's why women leave them on the shelf until they are at least 35. It's their retirement policy.
Does that imply that a woman may have to lie for a relationship with a nice guy, even if he doesn't lie for sex?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Going off on this, what does it mean when people say a 'bad boy' doesn't "put up with a woman's BS"? What sort of things qualify as "BS"? It's almost as vague as the terms 'bad boy' and 'nice guy.'
In my opinion, it may mean that bad boys are not really into it for a meaningful relationship.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When you're young, you tend to take things for granted. You figure the nice guy will always be there. But for now, you can go after the bad boy who's cool, fun, etc.
I think it is simply a matter of practice making perfect instead of having to lie for sex or a relationship.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
It may have been situational. Some nice guys don't want to resort to physical force with the weaker sex if their safety doesn't require it. I don't mind banter and I know I can usually win an argument with wo-men.

Did you consider simply asking for more of what you want?

Consider that lying to a nice guy for a relationship can be considered worse than a nice guy lying to a woman for sex. Conversely, am I really a nice guy if I cannot handle the truth from a woman, even she comes up to me and asks if she can put her scent on me for future reference?
I would say that it depends on the type of "nice" guy I am asking and what you thought I wanted.

There are nice guys who were bred this way. In other words, they were treated well by family and guided so that they chose acquaintances and friends well.

Then there are nice guys who are nice because it is the nice thing to do.

What I wanted was not what you hinted at. I think either type of nice guy would enjoy this. I was referring more to disrespect and not necessarily physical abuse.

Last edited by crisan; 01-06-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships