Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM

14,568 posts, read 23,094,676 times

Advertisements

Football is serious business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,881,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I am a college football fanatic. I scream at the TV. I yell and jump up and down. I swear. I curse. I get excited when fall comes! I love it! I certainly have a life and I don't approach everything in life like I am the coach. I simply have a love of sports. It's no different than having a love for anything else. I'm also an avid reader. I also like to run, swim, cook, and do all sorts of things. I'm a musical theatre performer. I am definitely not a boorish rube. I also married a college football fanatic. He's not a boorish rube either.

Sounds like you had a bad experience with one sports fanatic and think they are all the same.
I agree, just because you aren't passionate about sports the way we are, dont hate!!..I'm no boorish rube either

Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,782,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I believe that you "watch the news" and "read the newspaper" but do you understand it and put what you learn into practice in real life. That's the point of reading.
Do you even realize how patronizing you sound?

If I had no critical thinking skills, then I wouldn't be averaging only 1.8 posts on this website per reputation point.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:58 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,654,689 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you? These types also like to approach everything in life as if they are "coaching" a pro-football team.
What are your thoughts on such people? I consider them to be boorish rubes but I was wondering if others had similar or dissimilar conclusions.
Replace football with something nerdy like Star Trek. Now imagine meeting someone who can recite Star Trek trivia, knows all the episodes by name, etc. If you're like most people, you'll probably have the same reaction that William Shatner had in that famous SNL skit. Get a life!!! It's great to have things that you enjoy, but don't get carried away with it. I know guys who not only sit around watching every game that's on, they'll actually watch the draft to see who gets picked for what team. They can recite batting averages, tell you who's a free agent, who was traded for who, etc. How is this any different than the Star Trek fan? Because it's "cool" to be into sports, but geekish to be into sci-fi. But I think you should apply the same standard to both people. If we make fun of the Trekkie for his devotion to Star Trek, then why not the football fan who lets the sport take over his life?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times
Quote:
So the reason why they act that boorish is because they literally have nothing else in life to look forward too. Wow. Thank you for confirming my conclusions.
Mine too

Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,015,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I'm a HUGE football fan, but I've always been able to keep it in check. I DO like guys who are into football also, as I would hate to date someone who looked at me like i was weird for liking it.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as someone doesn't get violent or angry when his team loses, or gambles big-time on games, I don't think there's such a thing as 'too involved with football' in my eyes.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,637,176 times
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. There have been periods of my life when I lived in various cities when a particular team was doing really well and I really got into it. I lived in Denver when the Broncos won their two Superbowls and I would get so worked up that I couldn't even stay on the couch. I'd sometimes hop on the floor and in a few instances I'd even yelp or make unintelligible noises. Of course I would also let loose a stream of obscenities if there was an interception, missed field goal, or anything else that would put my team in a tough situation. All in all I just had a good time, unless of course if they lost the game.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,150,200 times
What can I say- it's who I am

Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM

99 posts, read 123,456 times
Oh man, you would hate us Philadelphians. We are waaaayyyyyy to emotionally attached to our sports teams. (I said that with pride for some reason )

Everyone gets excited about different things. YOU happen to dislike people that get excited over sports, but what excites you? What do you get overly excited about because you have such a passion for it? Do you think that your excitement for something you love could possibly be annoying to someone else?

And if you don't have anything that passionately excites you well... I'm sure you do

Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM

99 posts, read 123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. There have been periods of my life when I lived in various cities when a particular team was doing really well and I really got into it. I lived in Denver when the Broncos won their two Superbowls and I would get so worked up that I couldn't even stay on the couch. I'd sometimes hop on the floor and in a few instances I'd even yelp or make unintelligible noises. Of course I would also let loose a stream of obscenities if there was an interception, missed field goal, or anything else that would put my team in a tough situation. All in all I just had a good time, unless of course if they lost the game.

That's great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships