Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,183 times

Advertisements

You write well but you're not what I would call handsome, to be honest.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:51 AM

348 posts, read 550,079 times
As someone who has lived in NYC and in Socal...NYC women are completely overrated, especially in the looks department. Most've them had terrible attitudes, and wear too-much makeup and look hideous in the morning.

In Socal, the women are generally laid-back and many of them are beautiful. Even the women who are less attractive physically have a good, out-going personality. Also, there is more diversity and people seem to date different races more often.

The arrogance of New Yorkers always makes me laugh, especially during the long winter months when they are freezing their asses off. qwy - you seem like a good guy so I hope your experience is different. If not, there are plenty of good medical schools in Cali where you can do your residency.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
As someone who has lived in NYC and in Socal...NYC women are completely overrated, especially in the looks department. Most've them had terrible attitudes, and wear too-much makeup and look hideous in the morning.

In Socal, the women are generally laid-back and many of them are beautiful. Even the women who are less attractive physically have a good, out-going personality. Also, there is more diversity and people seem to date different races more often.
def agree re. the diversity part, especially when dating outside your race is concerned. NYC certainly seems more segregated in that area than LA (where i moved from 2 yrs ago). not saying that LA doesn't have it's issues, but there seems to be more mixing there than here.

on the other hand tho, meeting ppl is easier in NYC, plus there's so many more women concentrated in a smaller area (especially if you live in Manhattan) so it's easier to succeed at the numbers game here than it is in LA.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 AM

826 posts, read 1,894,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'm not a woman in New York but I was a single guy while living there. I've also read that article. NYC's a BIG place and there are many different types of people there. That article, I think, was targeted at the young middle-class professional women with Sex in the City fantasies. There are a lot of those types runing around up there, no doubt, but there are also many more down to earth women who aren't always looking for the next big thing career or relationship wise.

I enjoyed living there. There are plenty of gorgeous women everywhere and I like the fact that they tend to be a lot more aggressive than in other places. I'm no male model but I never lacked for attention up there. I also LOVED the variety of women(ethnicities, nationalities, whatever).

DTL3000,
When you say the women are more aggressive, are you saying that they actually approach men there? And where this women of a particular race or was it all races/ethnicities?

NYC is one of the cities I am working on relocating to but I definitely don't want to be in a place where I have to be the one chasing guys.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,977 times
The women who have something going for them in NYC--look good, well educated, and have good jobs--are very spoiled. I think their expectations are immense and yes, there are 1000s of ideal men in Manhattan who have it all--corporate attorneys and investment bankers who are pedigreed, attractive and monied.

And because these men are out and about in the Manhattan area the women all think these types of men are within their reach even if they themselves are not on the level of said men.

Women are silly in thinking that because a guy will date her or sleep with her (one of many likely) that they are entitled to these tier 1 men.

NYC is not for the faint of heat. It's the big leagues and you had better have your siht together if you wanna play with the big boys.

Your best bet is to date another student, because you can't afford to go to toe-to-toe with the former capt of Princeton's crew squad who looks like he stepped out of an Ambercrombrie and Finch catalogue and had a 7 figure bonus last quarter.

In NYC if you want hot women you need to date immigrants or ethnic minorities from ethnic enclaves as they don't have Manhattan type expectations.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 AM

649 posts, read 1,133,018 times
seriously, what are you guys talking about?? the ratio was AWESOME and in my favor as a man when I lived back East. (I left because of weather and cost of living). Unlike LA, not all the girls are materialistic. The variety of women is fantastic too!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 AM

649 posts, read 1,133,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
In NYC if you want hot women you need to date immigrants or ethnic minorities from ethnic enclaves as they don't have Manhattan type expectations.
true, but unlike LA not all the white girls are golddiggers either..Greek chicks in Astoria, Latinas in the Bronx, Bollywood Hotties in Jax Hts Queens the variety is awesome!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
I lived in NYC for 12 years and many of my friends still live there. Most of my girlfriends are extremely attractive and successful. Many of them recently got married to great guys. They are all in their early/mid thirties.

Guess what? Women in New York City are people, too. They aren't all spoiled, evil, horrible women. They can be funny, kind, smart, etc, - just like women in other places. Crazy, isn't it?

And if you only care about very attractive women - you aren't ready to be in a real relationship anyway. Yes, attraction is important. But when you make looks your only priority, then you make finding a true partner very difficult. You are young - hopefully you will see the error of your ways.

As for myself - I didn't talk about my dating in NYC because I've never really been single. Just wanted to explain why I didn't talk about my own dating experiences.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Blame 'Sex in the City', a show about three average looking women constantly in search something better. It has far too many women, especially in Manhattan, overestimating their drawing power.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Not a NYC woman but I read the article.

At first I didn't believe it.

I thought, "Nah, people aren't that picky".

But in thinking about it further, I think they actually are.

But the thing is, it's not only a NYC or an attractive woman problem either.

It seems like everyone- man, woman, fat, skinny, attractive, average, rich, poor, tall, short, kind, mean... you name it -is really picky and critical.

And they're doing it everywhere.

I don't know if this is good or bad.

Last edited by srjth; 12-04-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships