Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I disagree. But, you made me think of something. American women in the 90's had more leverage in selecting a mate with a higher income potential. Now that choice has diminished and more concessions on her end have to be made.

I know the number is decreasing, but the demographic of customer I'm speaking of is not worried about this.

A foreign housewife has many career opportunities. ESL teacher, nanny, home business, etc.

I agree with you there.

You are acting like this mail order bride thing is non-existent though. It exists, but only a small percentage of men are pathetic enough to do this. That's the whole point here, any quality guy with money is going to have his pick with all kinds of great American women, so why would he want a foreign lady just looking for a visa?

Any quality foreign girl is going to have her pick in her own country, so why would a quality woman go to a website like that if she's just going to meet pathetic American men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Out of curiosity, would one barrier be the death threats or shill lawsuits from bitter antagonists if such a business were successful?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
I think this is an exaggeration. The communication process can be just as personal.

Again, the interview process on the other side of the pond is key.

But not necessarily the right American woman. Also, the men I'm thinking about might be more introverted or too "nice" for American women.

That is your opinion and I respect it. Reminds me of a Simpsons episode:

"Did you meet your husband online too?"
"No, I met him through friends, like a normal person"
Sorry. I realize you're trying to peddle an agenda, a service or something else here, but the entire process smacks of desperation at best and seediness at worst.

There is simply no way that one can really have a healthy beginning to a relationship by picking a woman out of a catalog or website and exchanging a few e-mails. Even people who meet other people online tend to have any number of conversations before actually meeting.

What's more, the entire process is tainted because you have a situation where the women in question are essentially putting their wares up for sale, and will say just about anything to make the sale, so to speak. To be sure, there are women who will are so anxious to be in a relationship that they will say anything to close the deal, but the percentage is far, far smaller.

The same point applies to the screening process as well. Anybody can give a bunch of pat answers to game the system. But when choosing between a) Finding A Husband and b) Moving To America, there is no doubt in my mind that the key motivation here is the second one.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
These are not the customer demographics that interest me. The reason why meeting and marrying American women for the demographic I am speaking about is likely due to the headache associated with immigration and the potential for scams. For me, I was merely lucky to meet a woman who fits into strict gender roles. Other men in my position aren't as lucky.

I'm sure there's also a small level of fear of American females sending death threats or trying to use the government to put a stop to such a business.
I find it interesting that mail-order brides are fairly rare, yet the three instances I know of firsthand involve men with mental health problems.

The men you're looking to target are in the minority as well, at least where I come from. Strict gender roles are just as confining for men as they are for women. Heck, I just saw a study that found that men who take on a share of the housework traditionally left to wives are generally happier.

Sorry, it's not a fear of death threats that's holding back such a venture - it's a lack of interest. A sane man would be able to detect a scam (and confident in that ability) or navigate the immigration issues if they were truly interested in a mail-order bride. If mentally healthy men who fervently believe in traditional gender roles wanted to go overseas for their wives, they would. Take into account also that generally, men that conservative about gender roles also don't want to step outside their comfort zones in terms of race, language or culture.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I agree with you there.

You are acting like this mail order bride thing is non-existent though. It exists, but only a small percentage of men are pathetic enough to do this. That's the whole point here, any quality guy with money is going to have his pick with all kinds of great American women, so why would he want a foreign lady just looking for a visa?
What about quality guys who are not aggressive but rather more introverted? You've heard of the personality types, correct? You are describing people who are Exxx types, not Ixxx types. What about the INFP, INJPs of the world? The bolded part shows a hint of bias on your end. Either you are an overconfident American man or a bitter American woman.

Quote:
Any quality foreign girl is going to have her pick in her own country, so why would a quality woman go to a website like that if she's just going to meet pathetic American men?
In a central European country where I grew up, there is a statistically significant number of native women selecting to be with other women as opposed to men. They make many of our worst American guys look like dream dates. I attribute this to the low quality of men in this country. They are often alcoholic, fat, poor providers, emotionally/physically abusive and even more boorish than some of the worst American men. I've seen this as an opportunity to improve the quality of life for the woman as well as the choice of the American male. The only losers to this are the American woman and the European male. Maybe they can be joined?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I find it interesting that mail-order brides are fairly rare, yet the three instances I know of firsthand involve men with mental health problems.

The men you're looking to target are in the minority as well, at least where I come from. Strict gender roles are just as confining for men as they are for women. Heck, I just saw a study that found that men who take on a share of the housework traditionally left to wives are generally happier.

Sorry, it's not a fear of death threats that's holding back such a venture - it's a lack of interest. A sane man would be able to detect a scam (and confident in that ability) or navigate the immigration issues if they were truly interested in a mail-order bride. If mentally healthy men who fervently believe in traditional gender roles wanted to go overseas for their wives, they would. Take into account also that generally, men that conservative about gender roles also don't want to step outside their comfort zones in terms of race, language or culture.
Well, I don't know if this directly applies to your comment, but the two mail-order brides I've encountered were married to really desperate Sad Sacks who made their lives a living hell. One was Korean and the other was a spectacular Russian. Both left their husbands the nanosecond they had the legal right to live in this country because they couldn't take it anymore. Oh, sure, their husbands trashed them, calling their former wives 'users' and 'gold diggers,' never realizing for a moment that their neuroses made them miserable husbands.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
A sane man would be able to detect a scam (and confident in that ability) or navigate the immigration issues if they were truly interested in a mail-order bride.
The demographic I'm concerned with is much too busy to navigate this stuff by himself. He needs a proxy to help him out. The process is time-consuming and extensive and a trustworthy matching partner is essential.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM

458 posts, read 616,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. I realize you're trying to peddle an agenda, a service or something else here, but the entire process smacks of desperation at best and seediness at worst.
Quote:
Sorry, it's not a fear of death threats that's holding back such a venture - it's a lack of interest.
Pretty much sums it up right there.

Quote:
What about the INFP, INJPs of the world? The bolded part shows a hint of bias on your end. Either you are an overconfident American man or a bitter American woman.
I'm an INTJ, but I'm also not a loser or mentally ill so no thanks. The Americans I've dated were all wonderful and gorgeous, thank you very much. Also, I think you're misunderstanding what the Myer's Briggs types really mean.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You guys realize that the traditional female role in the house is dissapearing because of the economy.. right? How many families can afford to not have both people work anymore? Everything is much more expensive than it used to be, everyone "NEEDS" way more than they used to need. The traditional american housewife role is gone because there's just no way a family can afford this.
They can't afford all the fancy schmancy crap people have decided are necessary but really aren't.

But there are plenty of women IN THIS COUNTRY who would love a stable, loving partnership and would take on those responsibilities. Men, too.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,356 times
they probably do it because the average american woman keeps ballooning in weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships