Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Some years ago, my good friend and I were going to start a business using our social networks in Europe and Egypt to begin "offshoring" wives to American men. This is obviously nothing new, but why is it that with the supposed frustration guys in this country feel with dating women, that they are not exclusively seeking to "offshore" love just as businesses offshore IT staff? Is it a logistical issue? Are men worried that they're simply a gateway into this country? Is there simply a missed connection on the advantages of doing this? I'm happily married to my American woman, but I know many American men who are frustrated at the dating scene with either being cheated on, an (in their eyes) overly demanding and manipulative woman, etc. I also know many offshored marriages and it seems that culturally there is a better gender role match up between man and woman.

I'm looking for deep discourse here, not an catty argument on why American men aren't "real enough" for American women.
But that unfortunately is what it has turned into to. I always say, get in where you fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is more reflective of your environment and probably social class than representative of the whole country.
There were plenty of gorgeous women in my med school class...and at my brother's law school graduation...
Yes, indeed, lawyers and doctors are some of the most attractive American women out there Talk about 2 professions that probably attract some of the biggest pseudo-intellectuals out there.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Yes, indeed, lawyers and doctors are some of the most attractive American women out there Talk about 2 professions that probably attract some of the biggest pseudo-intellectuals out there.
And probably some of the most stuck up too.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM

458 posts, read 616,527 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And probably some of the most stuck up too.
Well they've got a leg up intellectually on at least two posters here, apparently...

Last edited by Jester2138; 07-09-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
What are your "intellectual" credentials, may I ask?

I deliberately don't run with the doctor/lawyer crowd, but they have put in a lot of work to get where they are and that alone gets my respect.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:11 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
What are your "intellectual" credentials, may I ask?

I deliberately don't run with the doctor/lawyer crowd, but they have put in a lot of work to get where they are and that alone gets my respect.
That's great and all, but men want a wife, not a coworker. Who cares about all the 3 letter acronym degrees she has if she lost her femininity in the process? Why would a high value man want some ball busting lawyer ***** when he can choose a woman who is an elementary school teacher that is sweet and nurturing? I don't think Type A women and marriage work in the long term.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,859,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Mail order brides aren't new.
I'm sure that they aren't but they are A LOT more common than they used to be. There are a number of reasons for that but it is safe to say that the world is a lot smaller place than it was even 20 years ago.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

This is obviously nothing new, but why is it that with the supposed frustration guys in this country feel with dating women, that they are not exclusively seeking to "offshore" love just as businesses offshore IT staff?

Maybe because that would be the final admission that they are pathetic.

[and they don't have the courage to admit it]

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
That's great and all, but men want a wife, not a coworker. Who cares about all the 3 letter acronym degrees she has if she lost her femininity in the process? Why would a high value man want some ball busting lawyer ***** when he can choose a woman who is an elementary school teacher that is sweet and nurturing? I don't think Type A women and marriage work in the long term.
You're in your mid 20s, correct? How many ballbusting female lawyers or unfeminine doctors have you actually encountered? Most of the people in your age group aren't even old enough to have their advanced degrees. I suspect you've bought into a TV-produced myth.

And why do you equate education and professional occupation with loss of femininity? Why do you imply that a woman who acquires knowledge and a career is somehow losing her identity as a woman?

As for elementary school teachers, I've known quite a few who became very angry single women who were quite capable of busting some serious balls. My mother was an elementary school teacher for years, so I had front-seat tickets to a whole lotta drama with her co-workers.

For the record, I don't think Type A men OR women work well in marriage over the long-run. Being Type A generally involves a streak of narcissism or control-freakery. Not healthy stuff.

In any case, my comment was a query about what makes Repubocrat such a distinguished intellectual mind that he feels free to label other people "pseudo-intellectuals."

Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Because he's not in the 5th grade.

[a high value man would not be intimidated by "some ball busting lawyer..."]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships