Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am wondering about this notion that marrying a foreign woman for convenience carries less risk of divorce than marrying someone of your own culture, socioeconomic background and values for love.

Even if were somewhat true, it just seems very odd that any man would want to be legally bound for life to someone they don't love and who does not love them, just so they can be fairly sure that person won't be able to leave them.
The type of guys who do this are usually narcissists and people with some serious issues so they can have complete control over the woman. There are horror stories that come from both ends here, you can see stories of women who come here and are abused by these guys, and then you get the guys who get screwed over. A very very small percentage is probably successful, can't negate that, but I'd give it less than 10%

A good reason not to do this, is because I don't even think it is legal to do, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM

442 posts, read 615,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
That American women shame the hell out men for dating foreign women so many don't consider it an option for fear of being socially ostracized. I've seen this sort of 'shaming' from other sectors of American society. Having lived overseas for much of my life, I'd recommend that men who are seriously interested in getting married and having a family seriously consider a foreign wife, either through an agency or if possible taking some time off to spend looking for a wife overseas. It's just that you're odds are a little better than marrying an American woman.

Does that mean that there aren't American women who aren't suitable? No, not at all. It's just that there are fewer and fewer of them. All the foreign woman route is, is another option and should be seriously considered. Both for the benefits(successful marriage and kids) and risks(used for a green card).
I don't think anyone has a problem with men marrying foreign women when the process happens naturally....like someone meets a foreign student at the college they are studying at, etc. The mail order bride is a whole different concept though.

How are the odds better than marrying an American woman? How is it that there a fewer and fewer of them?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
This gives new meaning to the term "Offshore drilling".

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I can see this thread has devolved into the following predictable responses:

"Pathetic"
"Socially inept"
"Ugly"
"Fat"
"Desperate"

The other poster was right. The only defense for some is social ostracizing. While I'm not too worried a legitimate online business would be threatened with physical violence, it certainly would bring the haters out of mommy's basement.
You don't think it is pathetic that people that would want to use such a service would marginalize American woman as unsuitable in their rationale to use such a service?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,214,097 times
Quote:

"Pathetic"
"Socially inept"
"Ugly"
"Fat"
"Desperate"

The other poster was right. The only defense for some is social ostracizing. While I'm not too worried a legitimate online business would be threatened with physical violence, it certainly would bring the haters out of mommy's basement.
It's like I said dude, people will police the lives of other grown people more then they will their own children.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:

"Pathetic"
"Socially inept"
"Ugly"
"Fat"
"Desperate"

I haven't read the entire thread, but what do you expect? You will be judged. Sometimes it will be good, other times not so much. That's life. Not only will you be judged based on how socially apt you are, but a host of other qualities.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but what do you expect? You will be judged. Sometimes it will be good, other times not so much. That's life. Not only will you be judged based on how socially apt you are, but a host of other qualities.
I would be perfectly willing to accept such lambasting if I was an offshore wife seeker. The topic of the thread, however, is "would an offshore business be effective?". People have diverted their attention to how "pathetic" the customer would be. So what? People are made fun of for eating McDonald's, for being NASCAR fans, for being only vegetarian. These people are considered "pathetic" by other social circles also. The responses are pretty predictable and boring.

Personally, I believe people are taking this too personally. Ever heard of "it's nothing personal, it's just business"?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
You don't think it is pathetic that people that would want to use such a service would marginalize American woman as unsuitable in their rationale to use such a service?
If the client base were in their 30's, they have already pursued relationships with American women for at least 10 years of their life and were not successful. Thus, they have sought to expand their circle of potential mates and other dimensions of personality and culture.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I would be perfectly willing to accept such lambasting if I was an offshore wife seeker. The topic of the thread, however, is "would an offshore business be effective?". People have diverted their attention to how "pathetic" the customer would be. So what? People are made fun of for eating McDonald's, for being NASCAR fans, for being only vegetarian. These people are considered "pathetic" by other social circles also. The responses are pretty predictable and boring.

Personally, I believe people are taking this too personally. Ever heard of "it's nothing personal, it's just business"?
You started this thread in the relationships forum....start one in the business forum if you want to limit the discussion to business.

It is a message board...which is all about giving opinions.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The type of guys who do this are usually narcissists and people with some serious issues so they can have complete control over the woman. There are horror stories that come from both ends here, you can see stories of women who come here and are abused by these guys, and then you get the guys who get screwed over. A very very small percentage is probably successful, can't negate that, but I'd give it less than 10%
Again, the interview process is crucial, on both sides of the pond. An offshore business would need on-the-ground matchmakers in all foreign countries it was operating in. That was the impetus for my business idea. My friend and I have good friends in countries that have women desiring American men, for a better overall life. It's a win-win situation. The American guy gets what he wants, and the foreign woman is taken away from the inferior man pool over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships