Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
LOL. what country was she from? That's why you 'get what you pay for' is usually true.
hahah she was from China, just texted my mom and asked her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM

442 posts, read 615,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Because its their life, why do you care what their Doing? It doesn't concern you.
It is an internet message board, people give opinions all the time about the actions of others. The thread was started by someone in favor of "mail order brides", others just have differing opinions.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM

90 posts, read 106,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Some years ago, my good friend and I were going to start a business using our social networks in Europe and Egypt to begin "offshoring" wives to American men. This is obviously nothing new, but why is it that with the supposed frustration guys in this country feel with dating women, that they are not exclusively seeking to "offshore" love just as businesses offshore IT staff? Is it a logistical issue? Are men worried that they're simply a gateway into this country? Is there simply a missed connection on the advantages of doing this? I'm happily married to my American woman, but I know many American men who are frustrated at the dating scene with either being cheated on, an (in their eyes) overly demanding and manipulative woman, etc. I also know many offshored marriages and it seems that culturally there is a better gender role match up between man and woman.

I'm looking for deep discourse here, not an catty argument on why American men aren't "real enough" for American women.
Well, you sort of answered your own question. That American women shame the hell out men for dating foreign women so many don't consider it an option for fear of being socially ostracized. I've seen this sort of 'shaming' from other sectors of American society. Having lived overseas for much of my life, I'd recommend that men who are seriously interested in getting married and having a family seriously consider a foreign wife, either through an agency or if possible taking some time off to spend looking for a wife overseas. That doesn't mean men still won't face a risk in marriage due to punitive divorce, alimony, custody, and even paternity laws here in the US even if they marry a woman from overseas. It's just that you're odds are a little better than marrying an American woman.

Does that mean that there aren't American women who aren't suitable? No, not at all. It's just that there are fewer and fewer of them. All the foreign woman route is, is another option and should be seriously considered. Both for the benefits(successful marriage and kids) and risks(used for a green card).

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Well they've got a leg up intellectually on at least two posters here, apparently...
If you were attempting to insult me, I've admitted on here many a time that I am not the brightest bulb in the box.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM

458 posts, read 616,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dissenter View Post
if you were attempting to insult me, i've admitted on here many a time that i am not the brightest bulb in the box.
If you think this then don't go spouting off about how bright other people's bulbs are.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
Well, you sort of answered your own question. That American women shame the hell out men for dating foreign women so many don't consider it an option for fear of being socially ostracized. I've seen this sort of 'shaming' from other sectors of American society. Having lived overseas for much of my life, I'd recommend that men who are seriously interested in getting married and having a family seriously consider a foreign wife, either through an agency or if possible taking some time off to spend looking for a wife overseas. That doesn't mean men still won't face a risk in marriage due to punitive divorce, alimony, custody, and even paternity laws here in the US even if they marry a woman from overseas. It's just that you're odds are a little better than marrying an American woman.

Does that mean that there aren't American women who aren't suitable? No, not at all. It's just that there are fewer and fewer of them. All the foreign woman route is, is another option and should be seriously considered. Both for the benefits(successful marriage and kids) and risks(used for a green card).
Thanks for the insightful information. Actually, what's interesting is that on the same day of my original postings, a foreign lady (with a posting history going back 2 years as I checked if it was a fake response) PMed me asking me genuine questions and wanted to begin a dialogue on what American men want and how to meet a nice American guy. I haven't written back yet, but it was interesting to get nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
I can see this thread has devolved into the following predictable responses:

"Pathetic"
"Socially inept"
"Ugly"
"Fat"
"Desperate"

The other poster was right. The only defense for some is social ostracizing. While I'm not too worried a legitimate online business would be threatened with physical violence, it certainly would bring the haters out of mommy's basement.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
It makes sense.
Why else would you have to 'order' a bride?

Why have to buy something most people can get just for being themselves?

Same reason people scoff at men who have to pay for sex. What's the matter with you that you can't get it yourself?

Last edited by stan4; 07-11-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Some years ago, my good friend and I were going to start a business using our social networks in Europe and Egypt to begin "offshoring" wives to American men. This is obviously nothing new, but why is it that with the supposed frustration guys in this country feel with dating women, that they are not exclusively seeking to "offshore" love just as businesses offshore IT staff? Is it a logistical issue? Are men worried that they're simply a gateway into this country? Is there simply a missed connection on the advantages of doing this? I'm happily married to my American woman, but I know many American men who are frustrated at the dating scene with either being cheated on, an (in their eyes) overly demanding and manipulative woman, etc. I also know many offshored marriages and it seems that culturally there is a better gender role match up between man and woman.

I'm looking for deep discourse here, not an catty argument on why American men aren't "real enough" for American women.
Can you please explain to me why you think most men could afford mail order brides?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
I am wondering about this notion that marrying a foreign woman for convenience carries less risk of divorce than marrying someone of your own culture, socioeconomic background and values for love.

Even if were somewhat true, it just seems very odd that any man would want to be legally bound for life to someone they don't love and who does not love them, just so they can be fairly sure that person won't be able to leave them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships