Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it make more sense for these men to move to another country, as opposed to buy (ahem, I mean "meeting") a woman who wants to move to the US? Unless he keeps his bride in a gilded cage, she is likely to be influenced by the very culture your target customer seems to revile (not to mention--he is already entrenched in said culture).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for these men to move to another country, as opposed to buy (ahem, I mean "meeting") a woman who wants to move to the US? Unless he keeps his bride in a gilded cage, she is likely to be influenced by the very culture your target customer seems to revile (not to mention--he is already entrenched in said culture).
One of the reasons these women don't want the guys in their own country is because they are too boorish, alcoholic, abusive, no traditional foundation. Why would a foreign woman revert to what she avoided in her own country?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
And why would a man pay a human matchmaker when he can just log on to to any number of international dating sites? Match.com, for example, has a presence in almost every country.

Have you done ANY research on this business "plan"?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
One of the reasons these women don't want the guys in their own country is because they are too boorish, alcoholic, abusive, no traditional foundation. Why would a foreign woman revert to what she avoided in her own country?
It has nothing to do with finding a new type of guy for these women. They can find a good guy in any part of the world, it has everything to do with that visa and getting out of their poor country.

The guys who are going to marry them are most likely lower class than any guy they'll be with from their own country.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
I would be perfectly willing to accept such lambasting if I was an offshore wife seeker. The topic of the thread, however, is "would an offshore business be effective?". People have diverted their attention to how "pathetic" the customer would be. So what? People are made fun of for eating McDonald's, for being NASCAR fans, for being only vegetarian. These people are considered "pathetic" by other social circles also. The responses are pretty predictable and boring.

Personally, I believe people are taking this too personally. Ever heard of "it's nothing personal, it's just business"?
This is a relationships forum. If you're looking for a business discussion, you posted in the wrong forum. In this subforum the discussion usually includes what does and does not make you a potentially suitable mate or friend. So, it's all pretty fair in that context.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
A. How is that different from here?

and

B. One nonjudgmental comment - I'm not in favor of having more people immigrate over here, lose all their social support, and likely have to live off our already overburdened government system.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

90 posts, read 106,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with men marrying foreign women when the process happens naturally....like someone meets a foreign student at the college they are studying at, etc. The mail order bride is a whole different concept though.
As opposed to online dating with a woman in your own country? Exactly how is it different? The only difference between online dating with people living in the US and one living outside is the commute.

Quote:
How are the odds better than marrying an American woman? How is it that there a fewer and fewer of them?
Hate to break this to you, but foreign women do have different cultural values than American women. Not all of course, but the reality is that fewer and fewer American women are interested in getting married, having children, and staying married. At least before they spend their entire 20's working and floating from boyfriend to boyfriend and hoping that miraculously around age 30 that Prince Charming with a six-figure salary will show up and want to marry them. In essence too many American women have bought into the fantasy of 'Sex and the City' without examining the childless spinster reality of the women who pursued that route like Kate Bolick cf. All the Single Ladies. All the Single Ladies - Kate Bolick - The Atlantic

It's a risky strategy, especially for women as their fertility and ability to have children goes down significantly in their 30's. Men face some of these risks too, just not as severely as women do.

Obviously, not all American women are like this, but clearly there are more and more women whom are. Nor are all foreign women immune to crappy behavior. I suspect that that the difference in attitude is cultural. Foreign women tend to come from cultures that shame the hell out of divorce, single women, etc. so they tend to not divorce as readily as American women. Here in the US, it's often encouraged through 'female frenemies', a 'no-fault' divorce culture, and even media like 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

I think American men are figuring all of this out and deciding there are better ways to put there emotional and financial investments than in the US.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The type of guys who do this are usually narcissists and people with some serious issues so they can have complete control over the woman. There are horror stories that come from both ends here, you can see stories of women who come here and are abused by these guys, and then you get the guys who get screwed over. A very very small percentage is probably successful, can't negate that, but I'd give it less than 10%

A good reason not to do this, is because I don't even think it is legal to do, is it?
Actually, not really and this was covered in a previous CD thread here: Divorce rate exponentially higher for American men married to American women than to foreign women!

Take those stats as you will, but they play out from what I've seen in other studies and anecdotally. And while you're correct that there are horror stories from both American men and foreign women, I know lots and lots more between American men and American women.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
Actually, not really and this was covered in a previous CD thread here: Divorce rate exponentially higher for American men married to American women than to foreign women!

Take those stats as you will, but they play out from what I've seen in other studies and anecdotally. And while you're correct that there are horror stories from both American men and foreign women, I know lots and lots more between American men and American women.
Ahem, perhaps the reason you hear of "lots and lots more" between American men and American women is because those are the most common relationships and marriages by far? How many relationships do you know of between American men and foreign women? And one could argue that the difficulties presented by maintaining such a relationship would screen out couples that would fizzle if they were both from the same country.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
A How many relationships do you know of between American men and foreign women?
That's where the anecdotal evidence I reference comes from. From quite a few between family, friends, and acquaintances from Europe, Asia, and Latin America. All of them are still together. Contrast that of course)with many of the Am. male/Am. Female marriages that have gone through a divorce. I'm not saying those risks aren't there with marrying a foreign gal. There are, but the reality from the statistics and anecdotal experiences is that there is less risk from marrying a foreign woman than an American woman. I suspect that this is a result in the differences between American/Western European culture and Foreign ones. For men seriously wanting to get marred and have children, all it is, is an option. Nothing more or less. Considering how much of a risk marriage has become for American men in terms of punitive divorce, alimony, custody, and paternity laws, every consideration should be taken into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships