Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times

Advertisements

The problem is not American women; it's American culture. I wouldn't blame either gender for looking abroad though. A lot of things need to change over here, particularly how people are judged and how their worth as a partner is determined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM

652 posts, read 1,053,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
The problem is not American women; it's American culture. I wouldn't blame either gender for looking abroad though. A lot of things need to change over here, particularly how people are judged and how their worth as a partner is determined.
Generalize much??
Can you provide specific examples beyond your own dating life that support your opinion.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Generalize much??
Can you provide specific examples beyond your own dating life that support your opinion.
It's not a generalisation - it's the truth. It's true in all western countries to some extent, but the English speaking countries are affected the most due to the influence of Hollywood and American media and popular culture, though I think the US is the most extreme example. What I'm talking about is the greedy, materialistic, self-serving "me first" culture that has been cultivated over the last few decades, creating unrealistic expectations and a lonely / unequal society.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
It's not a generalisation - it's the truth. It's true in all western countries to some extent, but the English speaking countries are affected the most due to the influence of Hollywood and American media and popular culture, though I think the US is the most extreme example. What I'm talking about is the greedy, materialistic, self-serving "me first" culture that has been cultivated over the last few decades, creating unrealistic expectations and a lonely / unequal society.
So, um, what cultures should we be emulating as paragons of altruism and selflessness?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
they probably do it because the average american woman keeps ballooning in weight.
It's all about outward appearances to you?
How successful are you at dating?
I wonder.

I've never seen an older guy putting on some weight.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I have no idea. But you know, there are millions of beautiful, intelligent and wonderful american women, right here in the US, so Im not sure why offshoring women into the US would ever be a good idea. Maybe men simply need to step up and figure out what they're doing wrong, as they arent able to get the best out of them. Im not judging anyone for wanting to marry a foreign woman, because its their choice, but in 99% of the cases these women simply want a visa and not a partner. Why not just get a hooker, and save the heartache?

It's funny how these concepts are always directed at American men as if for reasons besides their careers and money they are somehow more 'valuable' then non American men out there to these foreign women, LOL. I hope those women remember, you get what you pay for.....

Meanwhile you don't see American women always so desperate to find 'better' men in other countries like you see the men doing here. I guess they are supposed to be some prize and women must make do with what's on land here.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So, um, what cultures should we be emulating as paragons of altruism and selflessness?
Take your pick. Personally, I like the Scandinavian cultures. Less of a rich/poor gap, less obsession with status and possessions, more humble and fairer, with less emphasis on following the herd. My home country (the UK) isn't much better in this regard, but people are considerably less obsessed with over-achieving and standards, though we have our own problems too.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
Quote:
Take your pick. Personally, I like the Scandinavian cultures. Less of a rich/poor gap, less obsession with status and possessions, more humble and fairer, with less emphasis on following the herd. My home country (the UK) isn't much better in this regard, but people are considerably less obsessed with over-achieving and standards, though we have our own problems too.

yes because most foreign women don't have any obsession with status and possessions, they want American men because they're known for being great company.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:53 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,863 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you, you saved me alot of typing. It doesnt even matter what you pick in your answer, becasue any culture will be superior to what we have in the US in that aspect. Too many greedy and selfish people, trying to fulfill their needs and treat dating like its a business proposition. What can I get out of this relationship, need to ask XYZ within the first two dates, can he do this, can she do that. Its all self serving ugly gibberish. Not to mention, seeing matters of heart in terms of black and white, and applying a list of moronic rules to dating. yuck! No wonder there are so many lonely and unhappy people living here.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Divorce rates in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland are at least as high as in the U.S. I don't think they have the answer to happy relationships either. Besides, the thread is about "offshore" marriage, and Scandinavia doesn't export a lot of brides to the States. The women who are eager to marry virtual strangers and move here are typically poor, without much opportunity back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships