Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM

40 posts, read 50,403 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. About 2 months ago I called it off with my fiance. It just wasn't going to work. Her family was understandably upset with me. But now she has started to turn all of our mutual friends against me. Even some friends that I knew before her.

As far as the breakup goes, I look like the bad guy because I initiated it. So I'm sure she's been telling lies about me to all our mutual friends. It's so frustrating. I don't what to do about it. She absolutely refuses to talk to me. And my friends are starting to cut me off too. How should I approach this?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Friends who cut you off without getting your side first were not really friends to begin with.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Friends who cut you off without getting your side first were not really friends to begin with.
I have had a chance to talk to most of them, but really, they refuse to see anything from my point of view. My ex has played the victim card and convinced my friends that I'm some cold-hearted jerk. Break ups are never easy. And I think my ex's bitterness and anger is manifesting itself in her attempt to cut everyone off from me.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
"I can't have you, and neither will anyone else after I'm done."

I hope you find loyal, sincere friends, as opposed to those who you thought had your back. You didn't avoid a bullet, you dodged the defense's volley. Don't try to recover anything, move on, don't look back (even if the failed engagement had worked as a better failure - she accepted it and moved on herself - you would have still continued to shift your interests away) and continue. This is not starting anew, this is moving forward. You will find people who really appreciate you, really care for you, and the right woman for you at some time / distance down the path. You know what to do, nothing else to see here.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
"I can't have you, and neither will anyone else after I'm done."

I hope you find loyal, sincere friends, as opposed to those who you thought had your back. You didn't avoid a bullet, you dodged the defense's volley. Don't try to recover anything, move on, don't look back (even if the failed engagement had worked as a better failure - she accepted it and moved on herself - you would have still continued to shift your interests away) and continue. This is not starting anew, this is moving forward. You will find people who really appreciate you, really care for you, and the right woman for you at some time / distance down the path. You know what to do, nothing else to see here.
Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just been really difficult to see so many good friends and even my younger sister turn their backs on me because of this breakup. No matter what I say, no matter how good a friend I've been in the past, these people see me as nothing but the bad guy. It's just very discouraging and sad. Even if I did make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus311 View Post
Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just been really difficult to see so many good friends and even my younger sister turn their backs on me because of this breakup. No matter what I say, no matter how good a friend I've been in the past, these people see me as nothing but the bad guy. It's just very discouraging and sad. Even if I did make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

You're lucky, you get away from a relationship you didn't like and bad friends. Now enjoy yourself and be thankful.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You're lucky, you get away from a relationship you didn't like and bad friends. Now enjoy yourself and be thankful.
I am certainly thankful and do enjoy being out of that relationship. However, they aren't bad friends. They have simply bought into my ex's lies. They refuse to accept that she had anything to do with the breakup. They blame me 100%, which is just wrong.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus311 View Post
I am certainly thankful and do enjoy being out of that relationship. However, they aren't bad friends. They have simply bought into my ex's lies. They refuse to accept that she had anything to do with the breakup. They blame me 100%, which is just wrong.
How is that a good friend?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
What did you do, that all your friends think was so awful even after they hear your side?

Quote:
They have simply bought into my ex's lies.
Do your friends think they cannot trust your word? If so, why do they think that?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How is that a good friend?
It was a complicated breakup with a lot of drama. My friends don't understand what went on behind closed doors. I doubt anyone would truly understand. But the fact is, my ex is very convincing and her whole family has done a lot of work to paint me as the bad guy. So, I can only put minimal blame on my friends as they've had the wool pulled over their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.