Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyhome85 View Post
I was under the impression that a man knows if he wants to marry a woman within the first few weeks. If there aren't any barriers to marriage (ie, financial, relocation, kids, etc...) then it should happen relatively soon.
Wow, where did you get that impression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
He will if I wait. J*'s "Not the guy who'll promise you the world and not deliver." In his own words.
Then what are you complaining about?

(I personally don't agree, but that's just me)

Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Well, you're kind of stuck in ultimatum zone. You're in a bad spot.

It's stupid to wait till someone you're already living with makes up his mind about marriage. It's like you have no say in the situation.

You need to tell him this. If he's not sure, then you need to move out. Essentially, he doesn't want to marry you. Not in the least. He has all the power and control and you're made to sound like a whiny beetch.

Unfortunately the relationship is going to end.

All you can hope for is if the two of you have an adult conversation about what you want and what he wants and what marriage means to both of you. If it's important to both of you, it will work itself out.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM

35 posts, read 71,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, where did you get that impression?
Older women in my life (mom, grandma, friend's mom's, coworkers, etc...). It is a common belief/saying.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM

35 posts, read 71,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
21 years together, not married.

It isn't something that is important to us.

We might get married for social security benefits for her if I pass before her, but other than that, it's not something that was important to us. We're much older than you guys, I'm mid forties and she is 50.

We both come from families where parents have been multiple times and multiple divorces. Our parents never really busted our chops for not being married, but it was easier for us as we both knew going in that we weren't having children and we aren't religious in the traditional sense.

To people that feel it is important you need to get off the pot and move forward if it is something that is what you want, life goes quick and unfortunately you might have to make some uncomfortable decisions here pretty soon.

Either you're in or you're out, but to be fair to your man, you need to decide if you really love this dude, or like I said before, is getting married some life list to do item, or do you really want this man.

Think about that part, do it a selfless manner, if that makes any sense.

I don't normally advocate ultimatums but sometimes they can kick start someone and force them to evaluate what is important in their lives.
Honestly... That is beautiful, very romantic.

"Either you're in or you're out, but to be fair to your man, you need to decide if you really love this dude, or like I said before, is getting married some life list to do item, or do you really want this man.

Think about that part, do it a selfless manner, if that makes any sense."

It does make sense and I think it is good advice.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
It's social pressure. I wouldn't care if I lived in a vacuum, but I don't. There is social devaluation and disrespect that occurs because we've been dating 2 1/2 years and are not married. My parents are not happy and I've had to cut off an entire group of friends to date him this long. Which I was fine doing because I wanted to give him time but I don't think he is mutually reciprocating my sacrifices.
Holy crap. Girl. Move the hell out and grow up.

WTF is wrong with people these days.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Older women in my life (mom, grandma, friend's mom's, coworkers, etc...). It is a common belief/saying.
It's bullsh!t. The more I read or your posts the more it becomes clear that you live in some fantasy world.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 PM

103 posts, read 226,292 times
I know you hate the expression but cow's and free milk do come to mind, no offense, but what's in it for him that he isn't already getting ?, maybe you should move out and explore other options, consider the two and a half years a learning experience, people are funny, Clooney swore he'd never get married, look at him now, Simon Cowell swore he didn't want kids, look at him now, Felicity Huffman reportedly dated William H. Macy for 15 years before they finally married(now that was a matrimonial Hail Mary pass),but if you were my daugher I'd tell you, be upfront with him, otherwise you'll end up feeling bitter and resentful at being 'deceived', the conversation should be about what you both want, and what you don't want ie this open ended loosey goosey situation.If he still isn't willing to commit, then move out and look for someone that is

<<J*'s "Not the guy who'll promise you the world and not deliver." In his own words.[/quote]>>
When a person shows you who they are believe them,don't go by what he says , go by what he's doing, you had this dicussion at the one and a half year mark, this is a year later and nothing has changed. Unlike other posters I like the fact that you know what you want, I've met couples that had an arranged marriage that were happy, and a lot of the 'love' marriages , didn't work,there's nothing wrong with picking a good provider,with the potential to be a good father, over a so called bad boy, who'll rock your world and leave you holding the bag,but if he's dragging his feet, and having kids is important to you then he needs to seal the deal, or cut him loose. I agree with the posts that suggest you move out, it's hard to negotiate from a position of weakness, move out , see who else is out there, while you both decide what you want

Last edited by Beejay24/7; 05-24-2014 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
It may be "common" in your circle but it's not "common" out in the real world most westerners live in. Are you Asian or Indian perhaps?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:06 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It may be "common" in your circle but it's not "common" out in the real world most westerners live in. Are you Asian or Indian perhaps?
Loves, maybe you haven't been paying attention but there have been plenty of women on this forum (westerners even, gasp!) and even in this thread, who have posted about being proposed to fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships