Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
People are just flaky. I'm still somewhat annoyed about the 40-something divorced dad who set up dates and canceled on me twice just hours before and then texted me saying that he didn't want to even bother trying to reschedule again because he's just too busy. lol
The only time I deal with flakiness is when I have NO EXPECTATIONS of it going anywhere. At that point, I expect them to cancel, and it doesn't bother me. I'm dealing with someone like that now.

In the end, people flake because they like the attention of that person, but I don't think they really like the person much at all. Or they like the person, but are unwilling to free up any time in their schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
Quote:
People are just flaky. I'm still somewhat annoyed about the 40-something divorced dad who set up dates and canceled on me twice just hours before and then texted me saying that he didn't want to even bother trying to reschedule again because he's just too busy. lol
To his credit, at least he did tell me instead of just standing me up. I just thought it was weird for him to suggest a time and place and then a few hours later tell me he was going to do something else instead.

The timing wasn't that great anyway. I'd been taking a break from the site when I got a message from someone and then found this guy's message in my filtered messages. I'm always on the go because it's either that or sit around the house and twiddle my thumbs (I actually have to schedule down time nights). But the reality is I have 4 commitments a month and a partner could join me for three of those if they wanted to. I have plenty of disposable time for someone if I choose to make it.

However, I'm going on vacation next month and will be out of the country for three weeks. In order to get that much time off, conditions had to be agreed to so for the first part of September, I will be chained to my desk. And then there's interviewing prospective tenants, making sure my dogs are squared away before I go, and just all the general things that need to be done before vacation. Part of the reason I was taking a break from the site was I didn't want to potentially start something right before leaving.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
[quote=NWGirl74;36167211]To his credit, at least he did tell me instead of just standing me up. I just thought it was weird for him to suggest a time and place and then a few hours later tell me he was going to do something else instead.

^ I can almost guarantee what happened here was that he arranged another date with someone he was more interested in. He probably could not schedule both at separate times.

I expect that behavior from 23 year old girls, but I'm simply astonished when ~40 year old people do it. No wonder they're divorced.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times
[quote=redguard57;36168794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
To his credit, at least he did tell me instead of just standing me up. I just thought it was weird for him to suggest a time and place and then a few hours later tell me he was going to do something else instead.

^ I can almost guarantee what happened here was that he arranged another date with someone he was more interested in. He probably could not schedule both at separate times.

That's fine. We're only a 69% match and I'm really not disappointed in this turn of events. While there were no real deal breakers, there are definitely a bunch of "yellow" flags.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM

606 posts, read 730,838 times
I experimented with online dating sites a few years back and found I got ten times more responses from women if I changed my occupation to "doctor" even using the same exact photo and description. I gave up after that experiment and decided that if occupation (income) was the biggest factor in getting a date I simply was looking in all the wrong places.

For the record, I always responded but consider some dating sites require a paid membership to respond to messages.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I experimented with online dating sites a few years back and found I got ten times more responses from women if I changed my occupation to "doctor" even using the same exact photo and description. I gave up after that experiment and decided that if occupation (income) was the biggest factor in getting a date I simply was looking in all the wrong places.
Occupation isn't the biggest factor, but obviously a doctor is going to be more impressive to a lot of women than a non-doctor with the exact same photo and description.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Default Here's my complaint, Officer.

Quote:
Occupation isn't the biggest factor, but obviously a doctor is going to be more impressive to a lot of women than a non-doctor with the exact same photo and description.
Occupation matters to me. My last serious SO was in law enforcement. I am skittish of LEOs. Of the last six guys who wrote to me, four were cops, from three different departments.

Of those four, three have the same first name as my ex.

I give up.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Occupation matters to me. My last serious SO was in law enforcement. I am skittish of LEOs. Of the last six guys who wrote to me, four were cops, from three different departments.

I give up.
LOL, that is unfortunate. Occupation matters to me somewhat, but it's just not the most important thing. But I have noticed on Tinder that some guys will just write "medical doctor" or something as their description (and then I do swipe right unless they're hideous, lol), but every alleged doctor/resident/med student I've talked to were always just looking for something casual since they're so "busy", so I didn't meet up with any of them anyways.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:

I give up.
I dated a lawyer with the same name as my ex-husband, and my ex-husband remarried a woman with my first name. My current BF's ex-wife also had my first name, as well as one of his ex-girlfriends. Sure a name shouldn't matter so much.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:

I give up.

The solution is simple. Write the men you want to write and don't be a passive user. Most of the women I went out with on OLD were women that wrote me first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships