Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had more money and status do you feel like your luck with women would change?
Yes 31 55.36%
No 5 8.93%
No difference 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Affluent suburban mcmansion style neighborhoods are the domain of married couple families with children. Not sure why a single person would want to live in that type of neighborhood.
Which is why I live right across a strip club .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
How old are you?
46, but I look 36. Also, I want a family, hence my age requirement. These women here in their 50's are ignoring that age requirement and emailing me on Match.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:00 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Or rented. I'd love to rent a Merc S-Class @ $81/hr for some time, just for the feel .

Nice cars are mostly for having some fun. Try it out, rent a Porsche for some time and drive around Sydney.
I can appreciate a nice, fun car. Must be red.

Quote:
Not necessarily, I own my 5 series. It's really nice. ATLguy has pics, I think he looks really good in the suit. (no homo)
Was mostly kidding.
Suits are fine, but I don't see a suit and assume anything.
There is a bar here that is known for either investment bankers to stick their hand out and basically say "Hi, Im an investment banker" Zzzzz OR tradesman who suit up and pretend they're investment bankers.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:00 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You'd be surprised how many people live beyond their means, paycheck-to-paycheck. And a lot of people are "house poor." House Poor Definition | Investopedia It's crazy.

Sure a lot of people have money and live in those houses, but it's a big mistake to assume someone who lives in a nice house and drives a nice car has money. Personally, I like the "Chow" type who lives well within his means and isn't all showy about it (because that's how I am).
Exactly this and what Chowhound mentioned. Where I come from, there's a specific term for the people you describe who live beyond their means to impress others. They call it "hood rich". These are people on welfare, driving around in chromed-out $60k Escalades with spinners.

FWIW, my buddy, who makes around $35k/yr, bought a $30k Mustang, and it hasn't landed him anything. My other buddy, who I referred to earlier, drives a 2005 Toyota Corolla, is married and just purchased a modest house. He probably makes around $75k if I had to take a guess. People who are smart don't blow tons of money on depreciating assets for the simple means of impressing others.

Moral: Money isn't everything when it comes to "getting action".

Old 10-09-2014, 05:02 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Not necessarily, I own my 5 series. It's really nice. ATLguy has pics, I think he looks really good in the suit. (no homo)
The first part of my career I used to wear a tie everyday to work. I have since moved positions and am more of a jeans and polo shirt.

I think that a suit can look sharp as hell... no doubt.

I'm just a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.

I think this thread has sort of slipped into a "perception" versus reality type of deal.

The reality is is that you can look how ever you want, will people judge you, of course, it's human nature... we're designed to take in a lot of data at one swoop, hence prejudices and stereotypes.....

That's why I don't get all butthurt if someone thinks I look like some kind of slacker....

I know better.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:04 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That "judging" thing goes both ways, like I said, I look like some kind of head banger metalhead and one time I was out shopping to get new rims and tires for the mustang I was talking to this salechump and he was assuming that I'd need to get their "payement plan"

LOl, when I did buy them outright he was actually surprised.....wasn't a huge amount of money but enough for him to assume I couldn't write the check...

I get the same thing. I don't dress in designer clothes or purses, don't wear a lot of jewelry, drive a 10-year-old car, etc, etc. I get "ignored" a lot by sales people and asked if I want to do financing. I kind of like it actually. It allows me to shop in peace when I am comparing products. I had to buy a dishwasher recently and I literally got to run around to three stores (after internet research) to look at the machines in person before I paid. No one bothered me with, "can I help you?"

Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
If I had more money and status, I wouldn't pursue women. I'd just live a nice peaceful life by myself.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:06 PM

814 posts, read 760,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
46, but I look 36. Also, I want a family, hence my age requirement. These women here in their 50's are ignoring that age requirement and emailing me on Match.
Dude, I had the absolute worst experience online. Made me reevaluate the way I do everything. I even made a thread (more like a rant) about it.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:07 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
How much money do you make per year? How does your investment portfolio look? Do you own or lease a home? These are more important than what kind of car you drive IMO.

It's one thing if your debt:income is really good and you can easily afford the luxuries. I come from a blue collar region that is high on the pretentiousness list. That said, I know a lot of people there that spend a ton of money for appearance and they're only making $30k-$40k/yr. Sure, they look awesome. But they're also in terrible shape financially and it eventually comes to light once the well dries up.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Some people just don't read... it's annoying. Just ignore the women who ignore your requirement. But you might have other guys to blame for that. When I did OLD, I would click on a man's profile and if I saw he was looking for someone younger or older, I hit the back button and forgot about him. Not all the time, but some of the time he'd see I looked at his profile and go ahead and message me later wanting a date or such... even though I was too old or too young. Never made any sense to me (unless maybe he just waned a hook up, which I am not interested in).

I feel for you wanting a family. I don't know if you are a religious guy, but maybe a religious dating site might work for you? You would run into women (hopefully) looking to start families and such. Too bad you can't move to either coast, like I said in another post, women outnumber men and it would be a lot easier for you. I swear we need a coast/Midwest dating site to match up men in the middle of the country with women on either side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships