Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 AM

710 posts, read 585,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
BS. She can't get a new line for 30 days. You absolutely can cancel the line right now, but you choose to keep this dragging on for 30 more days.

You deserve whatever you get.

Bye Felicia!
“Cancel the line” is vague. What do you mean by “cancel”? The only way it could be cancelled is if I paid the full price for the phone which I obviously don’t have the money for. She is going to break off of my plan and get her own. That is the realistic option I have. Well unless you have a better solution, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
If you suspended her service, you effectively "canceled her line." Don't get bogged down in hostile arguments here.

As long as you are not subsconsciously keeping a tie to her in hopes of talking to her again, you've done what you need to do.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
For once I agree with what most posters mentioned here. The best "revenge" for you would be to learn from this experience and meet someone else with whom you will be happy. Then, if you want, you might send your ex a gloating e-mail about how happy you are without her, with someone else.

I hope you also learn that you don't need to spend a lot of money to successfully date someone. Sure, you might have to pay for a few dinners at first but a normal woman would not want you to keep spending money you don't have on her. And definitely don't get an any way financially involved with your next GF until you have a serious, long term and committed relationship. A few modest presents for special occasions are perfectly OK. Getting a cell phone plan together is absolutely insane, with all due respect...

Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You've been given a lot of great advice here.

One thing I hope you'll take away from this as a lesson learned, is not to invest so much in the future like a combined phone plan. That does not need to happen in a dating relationship, especially at 20 years of age. I'm curious how this situation even arose.
This is a good point. Especially in the case of a relationship that was on-again, off-again, with several breakups in its one year of life.

I think the answer to so many "why" questions, that the OP's story brings up, boils down to the fact that this was the OP's first relationship, and as he indicated earlier, he was thrilled to finally be in one, so it seems that he really wanted to make it work, which lead to giving his gf the benefit of the doubt time and again, and putting up with a disturbing level of abuse.

OP, before you lavish another woman with all your good-guy gestures, take the time to scope her out enough to feel that she deserves them, and will reciprocate. Even so, there's always some level of risk involved, but too many people rush into relationships, then end up angry and burned out.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I can’t cancel the line until the line has been activated for 30 days. There’s literally nothing else I can do. We worked out a solution and she will get her own plan on that day when the 30 days is up. I’m not dragging out anything.
After all you claimed she did to you, now she's responsible enough to transfer to her own plan? Lol. Nope.

Next thread:

"Ex won't get off my phone plan!!"

Old 12-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
After all you claimed she did to you, now she's responsible enough to transfer to her own plan? Lol. Nope.

Next thread:

"Ex won't get off my phone plan!!"
She wants to get off and get her own plan, especially after she’s seen now that I have the ability to shut her service off. She texted me this morning really angry about that. If she refuses to transfer it, then I’ll just leave the phone shut off and just pay the bills until her phone is paid off. That would suck but it’s the price I would have to pay for putting her onto my plan, and this nightmare would be over.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good point. Especially in the case of a relationship that was on-again, off-again, with several breakups in its one year of life.

I think the answer to so many "why" questions, that the OP's story brings up, boils down to the fact that this was the OP's first relationship, and as he indicated earlier, he was thrilled to finally be in one, so it seems that he really wanted to make it work, which lead to giving his gf the benefit of the doubt time and again, and putting up with a disturbing level of abuse.

OP, before you lavish another woman with all your good-guy gestures, take the time to scope her out enough to feel that she deserves them, and will reciprocate. Even so, there's always some level of risk involved, but too many people rush into relationships, then end up angry and burned out.
Your analysis is spot on, that ultimately was the reason why I put up with her treatment. And there were times when she was loving and would talk about how she wants to be with me for a long time, how good I treated her, and how much she cared about me. I do feel like I went overboard with the gifts and stuff but I figured that’s what good boyfriends do and I wanted to make her happy. Although I’m sad and depressed that it’s over, I feel free now that I don’t have to put up with that anymore. I vow to myself that I’ll never put up with that type of treatment again and also that I won’t be as quick to spend money on my next girlfriend.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do what you think will make you happy but realize it'll reflect more on you than her.

For sure! Because, just what I've read so far, you sound really needy, and whiney. If you do this little stunt you're thinking of doing, it is just going to make you look like a petty little man, and people, and even your friends, are going to distance you.

But something tells me you're going to do what you want to do anyway.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Whoops, "you" being the OP. Not old_cold.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For sure! Because, just what I've read so far, you sound really needy, and whiney. If you do this little stunt you're thinking of doing, it is just going to make you look like a petty little man, and people, and even your friends, are going to distance you.

But something tells me you're going to do what you want to do anyway.
Shutting off her phone service was revenge enough. She has important calls that she’s waiting on and now has no way of contacting family, friends, or her job unless she uses someone else’s phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships