Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:10 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,744,223 times

Advertisements

The only dating coach I would hire is myself.

No one can go through and learn your experiences but yourself.

I don't know why this concept seems to skip over people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,804,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Also depends if you want kids or not. Since I don't want kids, I can have a long vetting process and not lose anything.
Good point. I still want them, but its likely too late. In that case, why even get remarried at all?

Old 12-26-2017, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 26,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
We waited 7 years before marrying. We only got married for practical reasons, such as health insurance. There have been no negative surprises - we knew each other very well, and that connection and compatibility has been sustained.

That said, a long dating period helps ensure that you really know a person and that the things you value in a relationship can be sustained with that person (often, sex declines after 18 months to 2 years, as the initial hormonal rush wears off; what remains after is usually the real baseline you can expect). I always advocate dating a year before living together, then living together for at least a year before deciding to marry, and then having a long engagement - at least a year.

I wish someone would have told me this before, but plan to take this counsel should I ever decide to date again. Thank you

Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
The idea that there is a mathematical formula or even a "rule of thumb" timeline of exactly how many months/days/years you should "wait" before committing to someone is hilarious.

Relationships aren't recipes. You can't mix ingredients together and bake it for a certain amount of time until it comes out perfect. It's a matter of trial and error and hindsight and foresight and a whole lot of other factors including luck.

You take what you know and feel at the time and the other person takes what they know and feel at the time and trust that you both mean what you say, and you go for it. How long all that takes is up to the two of you.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM

102,262 posts, read 108,293,393 times
I'm curious to know what this self-appointed dating coach advises women to do, lol. Or does he only advise men?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm curious to know what this self-appointed dating coach advises women to do, lol. Or does he only advise men?
I'm sure he doesn't think women have to "do" anything except walk out the door. He's not worried about people, only a process.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:26 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,131,528 times
Craziness. One needs no more than 2 years to know if someone's worth marrying. If they're really a good catch, a little less than that.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,387,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Should ask Lecario from BadBoyMembership dot com, Lol. Shoot him a relatioship question. He takes donations:

$5 or less will guarantee your question be answered within a month
$5-$24 within a week
$25 or more will be answered in 24 hours.

Or, start a thread here for free and get the same ridiculous advise. Lol

Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 PM

37,527 posts, read 61,568,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
"Let her wait" 5 - 10 years sounds like a mysogenist phrase.
He is a player, expecting others to be players also.

The only solid reason for waiting 5 - 10 years is the hope that something better comes along.

When I was dating, when we got close, I would tell the girl about my goals / dreams for the future. That became my litmus test. The first few times I did it, those girls stopped dating me.

Finally with one girl when I told her about my goals, she immediately responded that she could see dedicating her life to accomplishing those goals. She was living on her own and supporting herself, so when she said that I saw that she was willing to commit herself to my goals.

We dated for less than 6 months, and we have been married 36 years.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:35 PM

777 posts, read 454,157 times
The way I see it, regardless of how long you wait for the legal piece of paper, if you don't know in your heart that you want a serious long term commitment with someone after a year or so of a relationship, you should probably do both of you a favor and end it. It takes time to get to know someone, and feelings take a while to develop sometimes, but if you don't know within a year (and again, you don't need to act to make it legal, just know you want the long term) you never will.

But when you make it legal (if ever) should be mutually agreed upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships