Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I would gladly pay for my own lobster (if I happened to like lobster in the first place), but even then he might still try to pay, so I wouldn't even order it in the first place. After we were a couple, I might, just once in a while, order lobster. lol

That because you have manners.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
you need to politely speak up. I like to get things out in the open straight away. if you don't like it ,you can move on.. I have a great life I dont need you.
It doesn't sound like you have a great life. It's sounding pretty self absorbed and bitter. Hopefully, he has a great life, and is self assured enough to seek something better. The things that matter in life dont cost anything at all but can fill your heart with love and happiness to last your lifetime.

Best wishes for a happier existence.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
When someone makes a single post and never returns, they lose all credibility with me. I'm questioning if the event even took place. There are men all over the internet trying to make a point about "Gold Diggers".
The only men that fall for that messaging are those that don't need to be convinced. Simply looking for validation. I wouldn't worry about them.

Any normal well adjusted man will know that not all women are gold diggers. Just like any normal well adjusted women will know that not all men are pickup artists.

Whether or not the OP's story is true, it is a scenario that is believable... I don't hear any underlying bias either. Certainly people think it is worth discussing.
Even if the poster may be questionable the topic is still valid.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If $50 item was one of the most expensive items on the menu, it is. Remember the OP had a $18 Halibut, so its not like the restaurant of choice was an expensive one.

$50 at some NYC restaurants could also be the cheapest item on some menus... then again I doubt they would have a plate for $18. Neither would I think the OP raise a concern.

It is all relative. Cost of the plate is relative.... in this context is really irrelevant. I've treated friends to places that run easily 80-100 a plate but I also know they aren't there to take advantage of me. On a first dinner date, in a modest restaurant that has much cheaper items, it sure looks like a hustle and certainly was a concern to the OP.
Steak is *usually* expensive though, and most steak restaurants typically have non-steak options that are cheaper. That’s not to say that the steak and lobster wouldn’t be at the higher end of the menu, because it probably would have been, but it likely would have been right in the range of the other steak items. There are expensive fish preparations too, such as a whole snapper or other fresh-caught market price fish, but the OP didn’t order them.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 AM

19,430 posts, read 15,259,370 times
In the mood for a ribeye now...

Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times
As a woman, if I was going on a first date I would NOT order steak & lobster. Just because it's on the menu doesn't mean it should be ordered on a first date. But then I'm 63 and probably more considerate about stuff like that than younger women.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Steak is *usually* expensive though, and most steak restaurants typically have non-steak options that are cheaper. That’s not to say that the steak and lobster wouldn’t be at the higher end of the menu, because it probably would have been, but it likely would have been right in the range of the other steak items. There are expensive fish preparations too, such as a whole snapper or other fresh-caught market price fish, but the OP didn’t order them.
Compared to some chicken dishes, which are usually the cheapest, $18 fish that the OP ordered BEFORE HER may have sounded relatively expensive so she felt okay about ordering steak and lobster, especially since there was likely no price (just "market price"). If she's young she may not have known that is code for "gonna be expensive".

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Even if the poster may be questionable the topic is still valid.
Which is what my post indicated. It is still a believable scenario with a discussion worth discussing.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Which is why I still believe it was a bit inconsiderate on a first date to order something that would be on the high end of the menu.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
In the mood for a ribeye now...
Me as well... I don't live far from the place that serves 48 ounce juicy steaks. I usually only go once or twice a year.... may need to make it a three visit year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships