Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 04:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,443 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with the poster who said "who knows why the $50 strained his budget". WHAT? Of course the $50 strained his budget. Everyone has a budget. And younger people especially don't have as much discretionary income as older ones. He was well in his right to be upset about this. The woman sounds like a gold digger to me. Typical of very attractive women who are used to be wined and dined by adoring males...he was happy to get a date with her and she took advantage of him.

Personally I think he should dump her. Having fun and finding her attractive are not enough. A lot of fun, attractive women are out there waiting for a nice guy and would be more than willing to pay their share or not pick lobster. I think she is selfish and self-centered. Even if a guy takes me to a nice restaurant, I still wouldn't pick the most expensive thing on the menu. I would ask him "What are you having?" and then make my selection based on what his entrée cost. In fact, I usually go a little below his.

If I were the OP, I would give her one more chance but invite her to go out to a Chinese restaurant or chain restaurant next time not a fancy restaurant. See what she orders and make a decision after that.

If you're in this for a relationship, her behavior is a red flag. Money is the biggest source of stress between couples. Don't think she'll change because she won't.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:10 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Definition of garish
1 : clothed in vivid colors a garish clown
2 a : excessively or disturbingly vivid garish colors garish imagery
b : offensively or distressingly bright : glaring
3 : tastelessly showy : flashy garish neon signs

You're only correct if you have synesthesia and hear/speak in color!

Hmmm...there are some guys on here who wouldn't allow you to order such a meal - perhaps you should get with them while wearing a suitably garish outfit for the occasion?
Perhaps you should follow your own suggestion.

Garish comes to English from the Old Norse word gaurr, meaning "rough fellow." It is often used to describe colors, clothing, decorations, and other things that can be elegant and tasteful.

Perhaps its a word that is not limited to your style and taste.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Are you sure the price was listed on the menu?

In certain high-end restaurants, menu don't have the prices listed. Also, in those, usually only one person gets the menu with prices. The other gets a menu with no prices.

It could be she had no idea what the price was.
? Do those places exist anymore? I thought that was a thing of the past because you can’t assume that a man is going to pay for the dinner in the 21st century. I’ve been to my share of high-end restaurants and everyone gets a menu with the prices on it. Plus, a $50 surf and turf is NOT a high-end restaurant. A high-end restaurant is usually a place where it’s a set meal that is $100+ without a wine pairing, probably $200+ with the wine pairing.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:35 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut..So yeah. I didn't say anything to her as I wanted to be polite, but ouch that's a punch to my wallet.

Tonight was our first dinner together and she didn't offer to help pay the bill either. To be fair she did offer me a piece, and also it is Valentines and I am the one who asked her out. She was excited about going out too..

I'm torn on why the sticker shock is bugging me, I keep thinking about it. I feel like the date was fun and she is incredible in a lot of ways and I find her attractive.. but I'm kinda feeling put off a bit too about it...

I paid for the bill. My concern isn't that I paid. I'm glad to do something nice for her.
My concern is I feel she wasn't considerate at all, and it is weighing on my mind. I'm sorting out my feelings right now. I find her attractive in many ways, but that was a big turn off :/
My stepbrother dated such a women in 1983-4 and married her in June 1984. They were sleeping in separate bedrooms by February 1992 and separated about 3 years ago. The woman used to order the most expensive item on the menu when my mother and stepfather were paying. It's a bad omen.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Instead of surf and turf.... lawn and garden?
Hahaha!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Perhaps you should follow your own suggestion.

Garish comes to English from the Old Norse word gaurr, meaning "rough fellow." It is often used to describe colors, clothing, decorations, and other things that can be elegant and tasteful.

Perhaps its a word that is not limited to your style and taste.
Keep reaching - if you want to speak in Old Norse go back to the 10th century - garish refers primarily to color now. CRASS is the word you use when you talk about "rough fellows".

Word Origin and History for garish Expand
adj.
1540s, possibly from obsolete Middle English gawren "to stare" (c.1200), which is of uncertain origin (perhaps from Old Norse gaurr "rough fellow")

Old 02-18-2018, 05:56 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
9.9 people out of 10 have enough sense to be sensitive about these sort of issues. I think most people on a first date type of deal would be sensitive to what they order. I don't recall if the OP was a first date or not, but in general find that most people are cognizant of not ordering something ridiculously expensive if they know someone else is paying the bill.
Exactly!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:59 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Most, if not all , people own clothes and shoes. Many people do not own specialty athletic equipment.
Those people probably wouldn't agree to a mountain biking date

I have to agree with the "it's a bit common sense/courtesy" to not order the lobster crowd.
Everyone knows it's expensive. If someone else is paying you should probably scale it back unless it's been discussed. I'd never order the lobster on someone's else's dime unless I knew they were on with it.

Reminds me of a great date I had in New York City with a fantastic, and gorgeous, Brazilian vegetarian. She wanted to try lobster. We did. An indulgence well worth it.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 02-18-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Why? You don't believe there are righteous women out there anymore?

You don't think this 'babe' would deserve to be told how it is right off?

The OP sounds (at this moment) like a really nice and sweet guy, who is trying to do everything right. It annoys me to see that taken advantage of. I'm sorry if for some reason that would indicate I'm a traitor to my gender.
Honestly I have never heard a woman use "babe" in that way either.

Not even a righteous woman.

I mean are you saying this in church?

OP doesn't really sound nice to me, exactly....it was one single post...after that he was gone. He didn't even bother to thank a single soul for giving advice, and a good few were on his side and supportive. That doesn't sound like a good guy to me. Actually, it kinda sounds like a user who wants what he wants and disregards the people who give it to him.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OP doesn't really sound nice to me, exactly....it was one single post...after that he was gone. He didn't even bother to thank a single soul for giving advice, and a good few were on his side and supportive. That doesn't sound like a good guy to me. Actually, it kinda sounds like a user who wants what he wants and disregards the people who give it to him.
When someone makes a single post and never returns, they lose all credibility with me. I'm questioning if the event even took place. There are men all over the internet trying to make a point about "Gold Diggers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships