Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,862,425 times

Advertisements

I could care less about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,303,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
This is an unrealistic view of DINKS. We can't just take off whenever we want (we have jobs and responsibilities too), we don't have plenty of extra money because we don't get the big tax deductions that you people with children get, and we can't necessarily live where we want.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
It's called the 'grass is always greener'. Leave it to the media to hype something up and others to run with it.

The only reason I would love to have this lifestyle is the options it opens up in living areas. I find that I have to cross certain cities off my want-to-live list because I have a child. That is a minor point though. I like being a parent and I get to travel and have fun just like people who are not parents.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 PM

901 posts, read 2,990,038 times
There are so many gross exaggerations coming from both sides of the argument that it is amazing.

Here are my feelings about DINKS:
1. a lot of them choose not to have kids for reasons other than money.
2. most of them are not horribly selfish people
3. many of them have relationships with children who they are related to or live near (or possibly work or volunteer with).
4. most are not galavanting around the globe all year.
5. they are NORMAL people without children for whatever the reason, not freaks of nature.

P.S. I'm childless, but not a DINK

Last edited by Sam82; 06-06-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM

52,347 posts, read 52,808,634 times
I've posted this before, but I think far far too many people have kids just because that's what your supposed to do. I think many people need to give more consideration to the work and responsibility that raising children require.

JMHO.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:30 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,794,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
That is up to them. My wife and I are essentially Dinks (because her son was 18 when I met her, so he was all but raised by then). I think Dinks are far more more admirable than people that have children they can't afford.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
Quote:
I'm interested to hear what others think of DINKS--double income, no kids. They take vacations whenever/wherever they want, have plenty of extra money to spent on eating out, entertainment, and can live in the geographical locations they want (for instance in the big cities) because they don't have to worry about schools.
I don't see the point. With no kids, there's even LESS incentive for both partners to work.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:45 PM

534 posts, read 1,596,148 times
My husband and I are "Dinks" and always will be. Lavish lifestyle? ppfffttt, not even close. We both work, make okay money. We don't live above our means at all. We take one vacation a year on our anniversary. This year will more then likely be the last one for awhile. We weren't even sure this one was going to happen. We have a small 2 bedroom home which we love and it's all we need.

Quote:
I've posted this before, but I think far far too many people have kids just because that's what your supposed to do. I think many people need to give more consideration to the work and responsibility that raising children require.
I agree Chowhound. Example. A guy who works for my husband is in the process of his 2nd divorce. He has one child from his previous marriage and one with his 2nd wife. She has one from a previous marriage. He was kicked out, but for one weekend they thought they might get back together. That didn't happen and things got even uglier. However they decided to have unprotected sex and boom, she got pregnant. Now this child who didn't ask to be born, is going to be born into a horrible situation. They have no money. His child support and spouse support is going to be more then he makes. Just stupid. No one was thinking..He's 30.

My husband then tells me that another guy who is divorced as well just had sex with his ex-wife and now she is pregnant. So they are going to live together, but not "be" together. Seriously, people really need to think more.

We knew we wouldn't be able to provide much to a child and felt it best to not have any. For what it's worth, I've been taking care of kids for 23 years now. In those 23 years I have watched dozens of children that people should not have had.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,473,506 times
Married and not increasing the population..... what's not to like?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 PM

9,454 posts, read 11,208,166 times
Quote:
Gee, they sound awful.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 PM

9,454 posts, read 11,208,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Well, I hope your kids don't leave you alone in a nursing home. Because kids are ALWAYS a guarantee that you'll get taken care of in old age!
ALWAYS.
Unless you have a 55 year old pure alcoholic drug addict son living at home ruining your "golden years."

Unless your 60 year old daughter tries to take control and sell your (owned) home out from under you so she can gamble and drug the money away. Oh yeah, and put you on a plane with a one-way ticket to a big city halfway across the country.
Taking care of," like the wind, blows in all directions. Some not so pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I will probably end up like this. I mean, I know good and well that I would be the worst father in human history. Coming from an abusive childhood and being the son of parents (especially my "mother") who never should of had been parents, I would not want to make anyone have to go through that.

I just have to find a woman who would be alright with it, as I am sure there are plenty who don't want kids (assuming I ever do meet a woman and don't become chaste my entire life, which I would be cool with)

I can barely take care of myself...why try to take care of a kid when I can't even take care of myself?
Excellent post. Unfortunately 95% of the people with such a background have zero insight and just repeat the cycle.

Congratulations on being so responsible and aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I prefer not to think of myself as a DINK.

After all, we've raised three lovely antique Mercedes.
They speak highly of you, often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Beats ZINKS - Zero Income, Nine Kids - but it is not as good as MINKS - Millionaire Income, No Kids...
ZINK...reminds me of octomom. She's a perfect example of why some advocate sterilization for the criminally insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships