Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
For my first 2 years in college I had a serious girlfriend. Being older now, I realize what a big and damaging mistake that was.

Having a serious, long term girlfriend came at the serious cost of me completely failing to learn how to meet other young girls. I never really learned how to socialize with girls or to flirt because I was already with a girl, and I thought I was going to be with her forever.

It's been 2 years since we split up. I'm 22 now. Most people who started college would have graduated by now but I decided to take the slow road and be a 5 or 6 year student, so I got 2 more years to go.

Still, I've always been envious of guys who get to throw all the wild parties and hook up with tonnes of young freshmen girls and have lots of girlfriends and what not.

I can't help but feel like I've missed out all this time.

I don't live on campus, and I commute, so meeting people is a lot harder for me than living in the dorms. I don't have a big social circle. I don't get invited to parties that often, and when I do, I always feel awkward for not knowing anyone, and can't help but hush up unless I'm around my friends.

I really wish I could live the real college life. I want to tap into "hook up culture." I want to go to parties and make out with random girls and have lots of girlfriends but I don't even know how to make it happen.

What do I have to do? I desperately want to make my last 1 or 2 years in college happy and memorable.

How do I tap into the college hook up culture?
This reminds me of some song lyrics "If you have to ask....You'll never know."

Seriously if you are coming onto a forum and asking about this. You might as well throw in the towel right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Let me also remind everyone that if you drive a car, you could crash and hurt yourself, and require expensive drugs and/or treatment for the rest of your life. Or you could even die.

Fortunately, the odds of acquiring a life-altering STD -- just like the odd of being in a car crash -- are very low if you take reasonable precautions.

One should not let the unwarranted and irrational fear spread by prudes who are motivated by antipathy toward sex prevent one from having an active, responsible, and pleasurable sex life.
Hi professorsenator,

The OP is about getting out of a monogamous relationship to meet people. Thus sex in this context means with lots of women. That's not driving the speed limit after a few drinks kind of risk. If you are with more than a few women, then walk into a bar and imagine kissing everyone because you are.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
First- To the OP: I'd like to say, I wish you tons of luck in getting what you are looking for.

Second- Why is it so fricken hard for some of the people on here, to just answer THE QUESTION? He's 22, not 15. I'm sure he's had plenty of lonely nights to think about the consequences of getting laid over and over by some beautiful, NSA, co-eds. Please!!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,549 times
^^^Now you know why your friend's husband is the way he is! He's basically this kid many years down the line. No self-respect or respect for women.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
I feel sorry for the OP, all the man wants is some sex! lol whether or not you find this objectionable because of moral, educational, or health reasons, it's not up to any of you to try to teach him a moral lesson.

To the OP: You are too late in the game to join a frat I think-this is the route many guys take. Do you have any friends you could go out to local college bars/clubs with? Depending on whether you have any confidence I'd suggest chatting up girls there...Anyways, unless it's a very small college town and scene it's really a numbers game.

I can't say I've really gotten into the hook up culture (for a variety of reasons) but let me tell you a great strategy. Get a part time job waiting tables at a local restaurant. Anywhere from 60-90% of the servers will be female and a good percentage of them will be the type of girls you are looking for. Some will be students but others will be just local girls with just a high school education. I hooked up with one girl from my restaurant but let me tell you this is par for the course and most guys that chose to hooked up with more.

Best of luck with your late-college crisis.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If you are with more than a few women, then walk into a bar and imagine kissing everyone because you are.
OK, sounds fine. Lemme have a couple of drinks first...

Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Let me also remind everyone that if you drive a car, you could crash and hurt yourself, and require expensive drugs and/or treatment for the rest of your life. Or you could even die.

Fortunately, the odds of acquiring a life-altering STD -- just like the odd of being in a car crash -- are very low if you take reasonable precautions.

One should not let the unwarranted and irrational fear spread by prudes who are motivated by antipathy toward sex prevent one from having an active, responsible, and pleasurable sex life.
Personally, I am no prude, love sex and love men - though I only have sex with the one man I love for years now. I really don't see many prudes posting here AT ALL.

I am also the mother of young men - whom we have raised with a healthy respect for sex and love. They were taught and fully understand the value of actually caring about and loving the young women they may have sex with. They will live happier, healthier, more fulfilled lives because of this. I feel deeply sorry for any young person whose parents did not take the time to teach them the truth about sex.

Yes, the possibility of acquiring STD's can be MINIMIZED by the use of condoms - but not eliminated. Let's face it, when people have been drinking they often throw caution to the wind and take their chances on a whole smorgasboard of items - pregnancy, STD's, AID's, alcohol poisioning, and loss of self-respect and potentional emotional damage from those hookups. I saw this all happen in my generation as a college student in the 70's - and this was way before we had AID's to even worry about. Nowadays promiscuity could potentially be a death sentence physically - and it's always been a potential death sentence emotionally and spiritually.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
^^^Now you know why your friend's husband is the way he is! He's basically this kid many years down the line. No self-respect or respect for women.
So what you are saying, is that a person couldn't possibly have a one night stand, and still have respect for the opposite sex?
What a sheltered life you must lead.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,265 times
They just need to legalize prostitution in this country so that there aren't sexually frsutrated, crazy guys walking around all over.

Seriously though. I've lived in 3 countries where prostition was legal. These countries has LOWER STD rates than the US, and it didn;t seem to be causing any problems at all. The men were definitely a lot more relaxed.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
They just need to legalize prostitution in this country so that there aren't sexually frsutrated, crazy guys walking around all over.

Seriously though. I've lived in 3 countries where prostition was legal. These countries has LOWER STD rates than the US, and it didn;t seem to be causing any problems at all. The men were definitely a lot more relaxed.
I think I'd have to agree from what I have seen in Australia and NZ. Definitely gives the men an outlet without feeling guilty and keeps the women competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships